Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Pauly

TM MP7A1 - maintenance and tinkering

Recommended Posts

New TM MP7A1 GBB owner here. First impressions... wow! It's a mini-beast 🙂

 

I've been looking for info on general maintenance/cleaning and tinkering, but couldn't find much on here or elsewhere. So thought I'd start a thread akin to the mighty MWS one for anyone to share their experiences of owning this particular RIF.

 

Based on my brief time with it so far:

  • It doesn't seem to need upgrading; fires great right out of the box. But I'd be interested to know if anyone can suggest any simple/useful improvements.
  • Mags and general gas usage seem very efficient. Not sure if the mags benefit from an equivalent to the MWS green gas mod; or whether the MP7 platform is sufficiently durable for running higher pressure gas in cold weather - ?
  • I've yet to field strip and clean it, but it appears slightly more fiddly than the MWS I'm used to (but that's probably just because it's an unfamiliar platform).

 

Feel free to chip in with any tips. In the meantime, here are useful disassembly/assembly videos I found on 'Tube:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/02/2020 at 13:32, Uncle Pauly said:

Feel free to chip in with any tips.

I'm not sure if this is a problem they solved, but "back in my day" you need to consider the nozzle a consumable part - it breaks easily when used with green gas, especially in summer. IIRC Creation made a good replacement nozzle which was far more durable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love mine to bits, its a stunning performer.

 

However I wonder if anyone has any suggestions, Ive never been able to adjust the hop unit on mine, I know youre supposed to lock the bolt back, push the trigger forward, and the adjusment wheel moves into a useable position. However my trigger wont push forwards. Im reluctant to take it apart because it looks like a ball ache and  the standard hop position seems perfect for the .28s I use but it would be nice to adjust it if I needed to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Tiercel said:

Love mine to bits, its a stunning performer.

 

However I wonder if anyone has any suggestions, Ive never been able to adjust the hop unit on mine, I know youre supposed to lock the bolt back, push the trigger forward, and the adjusment wheel moves into a useable position. However my trigger wont push forwards. Im reluctant to take it apart because it looks like a ball ache and  the standard hop position seems perfect for the .28s I use but it would be nice to adjust it if I needed to.

 

It's been a while since I've owned mine but I can't remember having to lock the bolt to the rear. The bolt should be forward, and I'd imagine needs the safety off as well.

 

 

Found a timestamped video which confirms what I was thinking WRT the bolt not having to be at the rear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

I'm not sure if this is a problem they solved, but "back in my day" you need to consider the nozzle a consumable part - it breaks easily when used with green gas, especially in summer.

 

That's useful to know, cheers. I'm planning to run mine on duster gas for indoor CQB (e.g. Nuprol 1.0 or Abbey 144a) as I reckon that should be sufficient. I do run my MWS on green gas pretty much all year round, but I understand its internals are a little more rugged.

 

Also good tip about hop adjustment 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/02/2020 at 13:32, Uncle Pauly said:

New TM MP7A1 GBB owner here. First impressions... wow! It's a mini-beast 🙂

 

I've been looking for info on general maintenance/cleaning and tinkering, but couldn't find much on here or elsewhere. So thought I'd start a thread akin to the mighty MWS one for anyone to share their experiences of owning this particular RIF.

 

Based on my brief time with it so far:

  • It doesn't seem to need upgrading; fires great right out of the box. But I'd be interested to know if anyone can suggest any simple/useful improvements.
  • Mags and general gas usage seem very efficient. Not sure if the mags benefit from an equivalent to the MWS green gas mod; or whether the MP7 platform is sufficiently durable for running higher pressure gas in cold weather - ?
  • I've yet to field strip and clean it, but it appears slightly more fiddly than the MWS I'm used to (but that's probably just because it's an unfamiliar platform).

 

Feel free to chip in with any tips. In the meantime, here are useful disassembly/assembly videos I found on 'Tube:

 

 

 

 

A great little  gun, so much fun to fire as well what with the fire rate and the small foot print emphasising the recoil.

 

Maintenance

It is a bit of a pain to strip right down as you have to remove the fire selector and the bolt release which feel at both an inevitable de-threading - I just clean the barrel after every game, pop the stock off and take out the BCG and give it a rub down and lube up. I don’t think you need to strip it right down to get anywhere else unless you have an issue with the hop or something.

 

Upgrades

Performs great stock, but I did drop in a crazyjet barrel and autobot bucking, gives me a reliable hit over 60m I’d say with .3s.

 

I heard the nozzle is destined to fail but I haven’t had any issues. I run Abbey  Predator Ultra (red can) in the summer (gives me around 340fps)

 

Hope that helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wife got me one for Xmas and its my new fave.

 

Been running it on ASG Ultra Air on .25's and it hasn't missed a beat.

 

My only issue is if i cock it with a mag in it doesn't fire, cock it again and it inevitably loads a second bb. If i cock it then enter the mag it works fine. I assume that is the correct way or is there something wrong with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...