Jump to content
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and probably forgotten) thread.

Recommended Posts

I’ve been looking at scopes for my 416, I have an eotech clone on it at the moment so I am considering a FTS magnifier. I have never really seen any sort of magnified scope as necessary in airsoft before (except for sniping) but my eyesight is not what it used to be and I’m yet to find an eyepro setup that can incorporate glasses that work comfortably for me (can’t do contact lenses). So I’m possibly looking for a x3 or x4 scope but as I have the eotech I was wondering if an FTS could be the solution.

Anyone had any experience with FTS magnifiers and whether they are worth it? Any FTSs that anyone would recommend? Or would it be better to get a standard scope like an ACOG clone or similar?

I don’t want to go crazy and have set a budget of no more than £100 (cheaper the better obviously but I don’t want to buy crap) so if I can get a better scope than FTS for the money then that’s what I’d do and stick my eotech on something else.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got one , initially was great but novelty soon wore off and got fed up with it and now it sits in the scope draw gathering dust . Most players I know who’ve either got one or had one end up the same , nice idea but just extra weight AND a pain the arse to keep flipping it back and fourth .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used both a magnifier and an acog clone, and the main thing is, do not buy the really cheap flip up magnifiers, they're awful, don't hold zero at all and wobble back and forth. If mine worked properly, it would be pretty good, my eyesight is fading too and it does help but I find I use it more for spotting as the cheaper eotech fakes and some other types of red dot give off a sort of sunglasses effect making it very hard to follow the bbs when it is flipped up, I almost never even flip it up any more and instead tilt the rifle to look through the scope.

I'd say an ACOG type scope is better, I even found it to be helpful in CQB as I was able to dial in shots when people only had part of their arm showing, or a hand showing around a corner.

Best thing is probably a 3-4x with a red dot on top of it for anything a little closer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Likewise to above, looked cool, was a pain in reality. 

 

also didnt line up properly with any of my scopes without extra rail adapters which were also a pain to source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are after magnification but also the option to un-magnify I'd personally go the shot dot option like the vision king (first picture) which is bloody good for the money or go for another optic that has variable magnification like a Spectre etc. or a combo as mentioned above Acog w/attached red dot (second picture) or Spectre w/attached red dot (third picture)

 

IMG_6210.jpg

 

rBVaSFrRrGyAWaB0AAJyIj3VG1c463.jpg

 

A81_2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your replies guys, I'm gonna go down the ACOG type route. I had a feeling that at this price point FTS magnifiers just aren’t up to snuff and you’ve confirmed that. The whole ‘flip to side cool factor’ is not something I’m bothered about as such but just thought it was a good way of ensuring the eotech was not wasted so I’ll probably use ACOG type for outdoor and eotech for pure CQB.

6 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

If you are after magnification but also the option to un-magnify I'd personally go the shot dot option like the vision king (first picture) which is bloody good for the money or go for another optic that has variable magnification like a Spectre etc. or a combo as mentioned above Acog w/attached red dot (second picture) or Spectre w/attached red dot (third picture)

 

IMG_6210.jpg

 

rBVaSFrRrGyAWaB0AAJyIj3VG1c463.jpg

 

A81_2.jpg

Thanks for these suggestions, I'm going to research them further.

 

I've absolutely no experience with magnification so I've got to admit I haven't got a clue what features I should be looking for! Is it possible to get a decent ACOG type scope with a decent attached red dot within my budget of £100 or would I be better possibly spending a bit more? I know I could get a decent scope for £100 or less and a decent red dot for well under £100 but I'm concerned that a scope with both for £100 or less might have a crap scope and crap red dot due to the compromise in price.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Too0ld said:

Thanks for your replies guys, I'm gonna go down the ACOG type route. I had a feeling that at this price point FTS magnifiers just aren’t up to snuff and you’ve confirmed that. The whole ‘flip to side cool factor’ is not something I’m bothered about as such but just thought it was a good way of ensuring the eotech was not wasted so I’ll probably use ACOG type for outdoor and eotech for pure CQB.

Thanks for these suggestions, I'm going to research them further.

 

I've absolutely no experience with magnification so I've got to admit I haven't got a clue what features I should be looking for! Is it possible to get a decent ACOG type scope with a decent attached red dot within my budget of £100 or would I be better possibly spending a bit more? I know I could get a decent scope for £100 or less and a decent red dot for well under £100 but I'm concerned that a scope with both for £100 or less might have a crap scope and crap red dot due to the compromise in price.

 

 

 

Personally with that budget and not having looked too much into it and taking my own experience into consideration Id say the vision king (1x5 I think is the range) wins hands down. Optic is anywhere between £50-80 depending where you get it from and some include a mount, others don't. you could also add a scope ring mount and have the red dot so you aren't constantly switching between magnification which it seems some real world shooters do (not off set - see below) having said that they are the bigger of the options I've mentioned above so depends what you want - looks/weight/what is comfortable for you.

Ive not used Acogs as they don't fit into any of my builds but have used a spectre and believe that one was the G&P one. Here's some links to ones that I have heard good things about, the Gbase optics seem to be fairly well reviewed by people.

 

Out of the below I'd go G&P (if they have them in stock) but like I say the Gbase optics are also an option... not sure on the kings arms ones.

 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/gp-4x32-acog-red-dot-scope-with-ta31a

 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/gbase-1-4x-elcan-spector-dr-illuminated-mil-dot-sight-black

 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/gbase-4x32-acog-ecos-with-rmr-sight-green-fiber-opticblack

 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/gbase-wide-field-of-view-acog-4x32-scope-with-rmr-red-dot-black

 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/king-arms-acog-style-4x32-w-op-red-dot

 

 

17.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ime fts magnifiers tend to have shit eye releif and need a really good mount to "hold zero" (by which i mean if you like the dot to be in the field of view when its up)

 

For airsoft you dont need magnification to get hits, only to identify targets and check folk are calling at range.

 

If you must go magnified then i'd say a nice low magnification with good eye releif, no more than about 3x.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

 

 

Personally with that budget and not having looked too much into it and taking my own experience into consideration Id say the vision king (1x5 I think is the range) wins hands down. Optic is anywhere between £50-80 depending where you get it from and some include a mount, others don't. you could also add a scope ring mount and have the red dot so you aren't constantly switching between magnification which it seems some real world shooters do (not off set - see below) having said that they are the bigger of the options I've mentioned above so depends what you want - looks/weight/what is comfortable for you.

Ive not used Acogs as they don't fit into any of my builds but have used a spectre and believe that one was the G&P one. Here's some links to ones that I have heard good things about, the Gbase optics seem to be fairly well reviewed by people.

 

Out of the below I'd go G&P (if they have them in stock) but like I say the Gbase optics are also an option... not sure on the kings arms ones.

 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/gp-4x32-acog-red-dot-scope-with-ta31a

 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/gbase-1-4x-elcan-spector-dr-illuminated-mil-dot-sight-black

 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/gbase-4x32-acog-ecos-with-rmr-sight-green-fiber-opticblack

 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/gbase-wide-field-of-view-acog-4x32-scope-with-rmr-red-dot-black

 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/king-arms-acog-style-4x32-w-op-red-dot

 

 

17.jpg

 

 

 

This is really helpful, thanks for your response, I am after a ACOG type scope and some of these are great, if a tad pricey but they certainly fulfil my remit, now the research begins!

 

5 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

For airsoft you dont need magnification to get hits, only to identify targets and check folk are calling at range.

 

If you must go magnified then i'd say a nice low magnification with good eye releif, no more than about 3x.

 

Could not agree more and the exact reason I want a scope, I struggle to identify targets over approx 40 foot

due to dodgy eyesight so need to make sure I'm targeting the opposition and not a friendly, a ref, or, in one case, a funny looking branch swaying in the breeze!

 

Ideally I am after x3 but seems there are more options at x4. Like mentioned I've never had to consider magnification before so this is a whole new world for me to learn about.

 

Thanks again for everyone's responses, really helpful and insightful, I'd hate to think what useless/pointless tat I would have bought without the help I've got from this forum!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in a similar situation to you, distance vision getting worse, I've got a 4x32 Acog on one of my M4s but that didn't really cut it for me so I splashed out on ESS ICE eyepro with prescription inserts, absolutely transformed my enjoyment of the game - loads more fun as I could actually see targets at a distance and also where my BBs were going!!  Cost about £85 all in with prescription lenses.

 

On the other hand, recently bought a Sopmod and want another Acog for on that, can't remember where I got my first one from (it was quite a few years ago) but it looks the business so I've been on the look for another and found this on AliExpress.  I'll probably order it some time in the next month or so and, if it arrives like the last one did, it comes with full trades and absolutely looks the part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Philby21 said:

I'm in a similar situation to you, distance vision getting worse, I've got a 4x32 Acog on one of my M4s but that didn't really cut it for me so I splashed out on ESS ICE eyepro with prescription inserts, absolutely transformed my enjoyment of the game - loads more fun as I could actually see targets at a distance and also where my BBs were going!!  Cost about £85 all in with prescription lenses.

 

On the other hand, recently bought a Sopmod and want another Acog for on that, can't remember where I got my first one from (it was quite a few years ago) but it looks the business so I've been on the look for another and found this on AliExpress.  I'll probably order it some time in the next month or so and, if it arrives like the last one did, it comes with full trades and absolutely looks the part.

 

I must admit to assuming that any prescription eyepro would be prohibitively expensive but £85 all in is very reasonable, though the lack of full seal is a concern for me. I'm still trying to find the right eyepro for the right situation, I've got a warq for CQB and its amazing but difficult to get a decent weld, even with a riser, so I've ordered a onetigris and some Bolle goggles for outdoor.

 

That scope looks great, as do many others they sell, totally forgot about AliExpress so thanks for reminding me. I've never ordered from them before, do you know roughly how long it takes for delivery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Too0ld said:

 

I must admit to assuming that any prescription eyepro would be prohibitively expensive but £85 all in is very reasonable, though the lack of full seal is a concern for me. I'm still trying to find the right eyepro for the right situation, I've got a warq for CQB and its amazing but difficult to get a decent weld, even with a riser, so I've ordered a onetigris and some Bolle goggles for outdoor.

 

That scope looks great, as do many others they sell, totally forgot about AliExpress so thanks for reminding me. I've never ordered from them before, do you know roughly how long it takes for delivery?

 

Based on my experience and numerous orders. On average around 2 weeks +/- a couple days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much the same standard delivery time as most stuff from China, ordered my chrono from AliExpress (couldn't argue at around £45 posted!) and it took a couple of weeks.

 

Then again, recently ordered some bits from China (Ebay) at the same time as ordering some batteries from the UK, both arrived on the same day and the order from China was not shipped from a UK warehouse either!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SgtTalbert said:

 

Based on my experience and numerous orders. On average around 2 weeks +/- a couple days

 

2 minutes ago, Philby21 said:

Pretty much the same standard delivery time as most stuff from China, ordered my chrono from AliExpress (couldn't argue at around £45 posted!) and it took a couple of weeks.

 

Then again, recently ordered some bits from China (Ebay) at the same time as ordering some batteries from the UK, both arrived on the same day and the order from China was not shipped from a UK warehouse either!

 

Great stuff, thank you.

 

Are their any HMRC charges to consider before ordering? I'm always a bit hesitant about ordering outside the EU after buying a motorcycle part for £40 then having to pay HMRC another £30 for them to release it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what you mean, recently had a part for a CBR600 shipped from the US (couldn't find one closer and it's no longer sold by Honda) and all the post, duty, VAT etc cost more than the part!!

 

I've never had any charges on anything I've ordered from China, that's not to say that it won't happen but in my experience (probably 100s of orders, much to my wife's annoyance) it's extremely unusual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Too0ld said:

 

 

Great stuff, thank you.

 

Are their any HMRC charges to consider before ordering? I'm always a bit hesitant about ordering outside the EU after buying a motorcycle part for £40 then having to pay HMRC another £30 for them to release it!

 

I've not had any AliExpress orders hit customs so you should be fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Philby21 said:

I know what you mean, recently had a part for a CBR600 shipped from the US (couldn't find one closer and it's no longer sold by Honda) and all the post, duty, VAT etc cost more than the part!!

 

Yeah it's a real bugger that, especially as Honda always say they have all parts for all their bikes available, they don't mention that said part could be on the other side of the world!

 

10 minutes ago, Philby21 said:

I've never had any charges on anything I've ordered from China, that's not to say that it won't happen but in my experience (probably 100s of orders, much to my wife's annoyance) it's extremely unusual.

 

Just now, SgtTalbert said:

 

I've not had any AliExpress orders hit customs so you should be fine

 

That's good to know, thanks. I just need to make sure I order from China!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Too0ld said:

Honda always say they have all parts for all their bikes available

 

I've found that very much depends on the part!!  Got a side stand spring for a 20+ year old CBR6 but this was a subframe piece for a 2000 version, still not recent but no longer made, even David Silver Spares don't have them! ☹️

 

Oh and you can add HK and Taiwan to possible places to order from, not had any HMRC issues with either.  Like you say, just make sure you choose China and not USA on AliExpress though! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it depends on whether it is a RS FTS or a clone.

 

Clones look the part but don't seem to marry up well. 

 

My Eotech one certainly seems to line up better with my sight; making it perhaps a more viable option...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Philby21 said:

 

I've found that very much depends on the part!!  Got a side stand spring for a 20+ year old CBR6 but this was a subframe piece for a 2000 version, still not recent but no longer made, even David Silver Spares don't have them! ☹️

 

 

It's a bad day when DS Spares don't have it! What has the world come to?!😂

1 minute ago, Dentonboy said:

I guess it depends on whether it is a RS FTS or a clone.

 

Clones look the part but don't seem to marry up well. 

 

My Eotech one certainly seems to line up better with my sight; making it perhaps a more viable option...

 

Yeah I was considering an FTS as it appears a lot of them are well suited to eotechs but just can't justify going RS, although it's interesting to hear some can work, does yours keep good alignment or does it require frequent adjustment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think main reason for the disparity between the states and the Far East over charges is the yanks tell the truth and the ‘other sellers’ lie through there teeth about the contents value wether you’ve asked them too or not ! 🤦‍♂️ Every time I’ve bought from the states unless it’s been an all costs covered purchase via Fleabay I’ve been charged as the parcels always have correct values listed . Where as the HK/Taiwan sellers nearly always put amounts very much under the real value of the goods on the parcel declaration .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Too0ld said:

 

It's a bad day when DS Spares don't have it! What has the world come to?!😂

 

Yeah I was considering an FTS as it appears a lot of them are well suited to eotechs but just can't justify going RS, although it's interesting to hear some can work, does yours keep good alignment or does it require frequent adjustment?

 

So far it stays where it needs to be...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got a UTG 3x flip-to-side magnifier I use with a real EOTech and I find it to be a great setup. The magnifier lines up perfectly and holds zero unproblematically. I’m surprised at the negative experiences people have had with them actually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and probably forgotten) thread.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...