Anyone use Snus on here?

DANNY THOMAS

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Head Moderator

Some how can't see it being a big international hit in the hipster scene..

Always thought that having a pipe would be much more hip, with a decent shag ;)

Why is this even being discussed? If the guy wants to take something let him. I care not for others and thiers only me and my own.

I heard a great expression today "life is not a practice run" which makes me think that people are more than welcome to make a mistake that i can learn from to save me the hassle or stupid misfortune of making myself. The op is one of those people. So thanks mate :D added to the ever growing list of stupid things to not try snus.

• Root Admin

Because the dramatically increased risk of mouth cancer from idiocy is not worth diverting taxpayers money to over someone who isn't an idiot with their health (but has still ended up with another life-threatening disease). It's the same reason why type-2 diabetes should be unacceptable - it costs money to treat these people, a lot of money for everyone.

The NHS is a safety-net and if it needs to get used then of course so be it, but people must realise that if they take these risks then the bill is picked up by everyone else if something does go wrong. Over something so silly, well documented and downright unnecessary as snus I just don't see why you'd see it as ok to put that risk into the hands of someone else, and that does need pointing out to certain people.

• Head Moderator

people are more than welcome to make a mistake that i can learn from to save me the hassle or stupid misfortune of making myself.

Ah yes, experience vs wisdom. Experience is tripping over a curb, wisdom is watching someone else tripping over and avoiding it yourself.

Because the dramatically increased risk of mouth cancer from idiocy is not worth diverting taxpayers money to over someone who isn't an idiot with their health (but has still ended up with another life-threatening disease). It's the same reason why type-2 diabetes should be unacceptable - it costs money to treat these people, a lot of money for everyone.

The NHS is a safety-net and if it needs to get used then of course so be it, but people must realise that if they take these risks then the bill is picked up by everyone else if something does go wrong. Over something so silly, well documented and downright unnecessary as snus I just don't see why you'd see it as ok to put that risk into the hands of someone else, and that does need pointing out to certain people.

On the same basis you could say that about any smoking related illness, alcahol based medical issues etc. The issue with people is just because the are sensible or healthy doesnt mean they wont do stupid things that risk thier health. The NHS should be run as a business and people should have to pay for certian treatments for self inflicted health issues but thats a topic for another thread.

• Root Admin

I could and do. If you're irresponsible with your health then you deserve some degree of judgement from the people that have to pay for that; be it smoking, excessive drinking, excessive eating or even something like texting whilst driving. We all have a responsibility to try and not be idiots with the very finite resources that we have.

I don't believe people should be charged or anything silly, but the argument "it's my body and I can do what I want" isn't a catch-all excuse anymore with these well documented health issues when people are not only responsible for their own health but making sure our health system has the resources to deal with unavoidable illness.

Again, I'm not being political here - only social. It goes without saying that people should have governance over what goes into their own body, but saying "oh let them do what they want" is lazy. We're not talking about some new synthesised drug here, we're talking about a tobacco product - we absolutely know it's significantly harmful to health. That's why this thread is going on the way it has.

I'd far rather see my money go towards treating/researching a cure for childhood leukaemia than someone's throat cancer as a result of them taking stupid risks with well documented carcinogens.

I totally igree with you. I just think that unfortunately we have alot of people who dont seem to care what damage they do to thier body long term for the here and now "benifit" they feel through doing what they are doing.

Hence charging people to use a service would maybe make them rethink what they are doing after a few hospital bills are paid. My gf works for the nhs and i think its shocking some of the costs envolved in helping self inflicted illness!!

Can we:

Stop calling it 'snus' - it lends some vague form of respectability to it. Call it what it is - Chewing Tobacco

Can we:

Stop calling it 'snus' - it lends some vague form of respectability to it. Call it what it is - Chewing Tobacco

Nope. It's not Chewing Tobacco, it is Snus. You don't chew it, ever.

I know you don't chew it. You don't 'chew' Chewing Tobacco either but thats what its called. Might be a bit old fashioned terminology but its correct.

I know you don't chew it. You don't 'chew' Chewing Tobacco either but thats what its called. Might be a bit old fashioned terminology but its correct.

http://www.v2tobacco.com/chewing-tobacco-products.php under chewing bags.

Chewing Bags should not be confused with Snus. The manufacturing process and the final products are fundamentally different.

The bags that we use for Chewing bags is specially designed to be chewed to release flavor and nicotine. It is made from a paper with a special weave which which is thicker and much stronger than the type of bag that snus is packed in.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.