Shotguns for CQB - what do you like?

jpairsoft

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Sorry if there's already a post like this, but I tried to search, but didn't find anything exactly like this (a few reviews, etc. but this is not what it is).

So, what shotgun would you pick for a CQB? Would it be a backup or a main gun?

Multishot or singleshot? shell ejecting or shell containers?

How do you catch your shells during game (if you have a shell ejecting shotgun?

If it's a side weapon, how do you holster it in the back? How does the extra weight feel?

What's your favourite propulsion system? gas? springer?

Share your shotgun weapons/loadouts/brand preference/propulsion type :)

• Supporters

I use a TM M870 breacher which is a gas trishot and isn't shell ejecting. Thing is for intents an purposes a sub £100 spring shotgun(ASG are normally the go to brand as far as I am aware) will do exactly the same job, it's just harder to cock. On the plus side a springer doesn't need gas charges so as long as it's cocked and you have BBs in the shell when you do it will fire.

For CQB it's normally my main weapon and I either just hold it one handed or put it down if I want to use my pistol, which is normally when I'm completely out of ammo or someone tries to rush me while I'm reloading.

Personally I think if you play right a trishot is hard to beat as the spread compensates for when you aim slightly off target or when someone is running and you are trying to lead them. Regardless they are very fun weapons to use, especially if you have mates with you room clearing with their own shotguns. People also get spooked by them, i've seen a lot of people flinch before I fire or when i've fired but I was out of ammo.

I wouldn't bother with a shell ejecting gun as I just don't see the point and i've tried putting my shotgun in the hydration pouch with it on my back but it was really hard to draw. I'd hazard a guess it's the reason you don't see many people with shotgun scabbards after the initial novelty of running a "holstered" shotgun wears off.

Ive always used shotguns in airsoft for both CQB and woodland games - both single shot versions and trishot models. I currently run an ASG trishot shotgun as one of my main primary weapons for CQB. It's spring powered so I don't have to worry about it running out of power in game like a gas one and the shells are very cheap. The only issue most people have, like Esoterick said, is the pump. It's quite stiff so not ideal for younger players but after a while it becomes a lot easier as either the spring wears in or your body gets used to it.

Loadouts wise I run this shotgun with a twenty four shell shotgun belt, a dump pouch, rubber knife, a drop leg pistol holster and a six shell arm mounted shell holder. This gives me thirty shells which is three hundred trishot bursts - more than enough to last even the longest CQB game. Mounted to the front of the shotgun I either have a flashlight or a laser - the flashlight for darker sites like The Gaol and the laser for lighter ones like The Towers. Ammo wise I use .25 gram BBs as it keeps the spread tighter than .2 gram ones do. Not much of a difference in CQB but it makes longer range gun fights a lot more favourable - especially in woodland sites. Often I ditch the pistol and just run the shotgun as a very light and mobile loadout - reloads are never a problem as I have so many shells all over the place.

I did at one point try a shotgun scabbard to use it as a secondary, but it was a nightmare to draw in a firefight. Now I just have a cheap carbiner clip on my belt that I attach to the sling point of the weapon - just as secure and a lot easier to use.

I use a TM M870 breacher which is a gas trishot and isn't shell ejecting.

How do you manage the gas?

EDIT:

Seems I confused Esoterick's TM M870 breacher with Happy's ASG Trishot when I wrote this.

Edited by Sacarathe

What do you mean by manage? You just re-fill the tank when empty

Oh wow, you can refill the gas tank? I did not know that.

Don't be silly...

...How does that (TM M870 breacher) gun perform in terms of gas loads to shots fired... how much do the tanks weigh - their volume, can you get pouches for them. Use some bloody imagination.

I like the faux grenade gas refill containers myself.

What do you mean by manage? You just re-fill the tank when empty

@OP avoid shell ejecting, it'll just piss you off

Is this the model with the gas tank on the grip?

Wow thank you for the awesome answers guys. It did change my perspective on shotguns a bit.

I thought it would be worth to try and get the models that do six shot, but from what you are saying the trishot spread is actually quite good. And I did not think of anyone using it as a main weapon.

I was kinda curious about the M1100 revision, but might consider something else due to the shell ejecting.

Also was looking for ideas on quick draw, eg on the back, or on the belt, if anyone had experience with this.

I did at one point try a shotgun scabbard to use it as a secondary, but it was a nightmare to draw in a firefight. Now I just have a cheap carbiner clip on my belt that I attach to the sling point of the weapon - just as secure and a lot easier to use.

So, no to the scabards and no to the water pouches as holsters :)

Is this the model with the gas tank on the grip?

Wow thank you for the awesome answers guys. It did change my perspective on shotguns a bit.

I thought it would be worth to try and get the models that do six shot, but from what you are saying the trishot spread is actually quite good.

Many of the 6 shots can be switched on the fly between 3 and 6. Of course, you'll probably save money avoiding it. But I don't think any of them are locked at 6. :)

I've seen gun clips used on the M870 breacher before.

breacher.jpg

It's quite expensive for what it is, though: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/blade-tech-ambi-military-remington-shotgun-holster-small.html#.VWBq2WCprzI

I suppose it would be cheaper to have a kydex one made through Facebook or to make it yourself. A carbon fibre one wouldn't be too difficult to make either, carbon fibre kits are about £40 from Carbon Mods in Stoke-on-Trent

• Supporters

The breacher gets about 60 shots out of the gas tank which is in the handle, the full length TM M870 has a larger tank in the stock which gets about 100 shots out of it. I thought 6 shot would be amazing, it isn't it just fires a second shot directly behind the first rather than giving any more spread.

Some people buy tons of shells(the TM ones are 15 quid for 3) and extra gas tanks, i'd rather take a bottle of gas and a speedloader out with me. It'd probably be worth doing if I played CQB more though, I just run one of the angry gun shell holders which is mounted to the side of the receiver.

• Supporters

Oh wow, you can refill the gas tank? I did not know that.

Don't be silly...

...How does that (TM M870 breacher) gun perform in terms of gas loads to shots fired... how much do the tanks weigh - their volume, can you get pouches for them. Use some bloody imagination.

I would say thats how you insulted him.

Its a very sarcastic and confrontational post. Your question was not clear so the response was understandable.

As a new player who is going to rely on advice from others from time to time its maybe an idea to be a bit less disrespectful to the experienced airsofters otherwise you might find people are less prone to help you.

Remember nobody has to give up their free time to help anybody on here they are just trying to be decent.

• Supporters

I would say thats how you insulted him.

Its a very sarcastic and confrontational post. Your question was not clear so the response was understandable.

As a new player who is going to rely on advice from others from time to time its maybe an idea to be a bit less disrespectful to the experienced airsofters otherwise you might find people are less prone to help you.

Remember nobody has to give up their free time to help anybody on here they are just trying to be decent.

Don't worry, he pm'd me and we're all good

You're a new player, it's not unreasonable to think that you might not know how specific guns work. (And judging by your above post it looks like i'm right- not many shotguns have a function to change the number of rounds fired

I was the one that asked that, not Scarathe :P

I've seen gun clips used on the M870 breacher before.

breacher.jpg

It's quite expensive for what it is, though: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/blade-tech-ambi-military-remington-shotgun-holster-small.html#.VWBq2WCprzI

I suppose it would be cheaper to have a kydex one made through Facebook or to make it yourself. A carbon fibre one wouldn't be too difficult to make either, carbon fibre kits are about £40 from Carbon Mods in Stoke-on-Trent

THIS. IS. AWESOME!

Have just bought the ASG shorty tri-shot.

Fun gun but hard for a younger person to pump on the fly.

So the springers actually have a decent FPS and range?

I thought they'd be like the cheaper pistol springers that are not much use in a game.

(Note: I'm not an FPS buff, I just know that without enough force, people just won't feel/take their hits)

So the springers actually have a decent FPS and range?

I thought they'd be like the cheaper pistol springers that are not much use in a game.

(Note: I'm not an FPS buff, I just know that without enough force, people just won't feel/take their hits)

Trust me, unless they're playing as the Terminator they'll feel at least one of the three shots.

Niiiiice. Starting to change my opinion on springers then.

Then again, my own fault for generalising things, specially as a newbie

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.