Best M4 for Milsim and upgrading.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

I'm starting to branch out into milsims and want to get an M4 (non PTW so I can use normal style mags to make mag switches with team mates possible) and was wondering which brands and models people find best. So far from research and asking other players I have been recommended G&P along with King arms.

I'm wanting to do a MK18 build with some internal upgrades.

Many thanks

BottledTorment (Joel)

Are you set on AEG because a growing number of milsimmers seem to be going GBBR

I was the only MDF player with one last time :( Trouble with GBBR there are several magazine types while at least with an AEG M4 generally they will all work ok unless you have something quirky like a TM Recoil. From a magazine swapping perspective your definitely better of sticking with an AEG.

To be honest I feel like HPA is devoloution for airsoft (makes us more unrealistic having a hose and tank) and the Tippman system to me (my opinion) is not my cup of tea due to Co2 for non HPA.

So all in all good ol' AEG it would have to be

G&G then.

Lots of upgrade parts, mags are easy going on the M4 and reasonably well built.

Not a fan of G&P - their support in the UK isnt great.

What do the rest of your team use ?

We all run 5.56 stanag weapons at the moment (I.e M4, G36 with conversion, PDR, 416 etc) so we are planning on keeping on the same system.

I meant what makes really.

Fire Support sell the G&P and have a Mk18 upgrade kit for it - not cheap though.

I fell out of love with G&P when I spent a lot of money for one of their M249 and it didnt even come with a manual.

G&P m4 all the way, infact I love their whole m16/m4 range. Had 3 G&P's everyone was a rock solid little work house. Well worth what you pay, the build quality is really good and sturdy. I'm told they're the best for aftermarket parts and real steel parts aswell due to their size tolerances compared to other brands - though that may just be hearsay as I've never tried to fit anything RS on mine. Never had a problem with other parts though so your upgrading should go smoothly.

If you're getting into the whole milsim scene and you're seeking realism then the G&P is really lovely in the hand, it's easy to forget you're holding an airsoft rifle due to its weight and solid build.

They also feed from MAG midcaps which a lot of guys use. My mags were wrapped in eletrical tape due to the loose fit in G&G magwells but I had to remove it for them to fit in G&P as it made it too tight due their finer tolerances.

I've had 3 G&G's and an ICS, I'd say none of them came close to my G&P's in terms of looking and feeling the part in your hands.

• Supporters

My Franken4 has a G&P receiver, and with it I must agree with Teddy. Fits lots of real steel parts, including the Rogers Super Stoc (although that's designed to fit all civi and military stock tubes anyway, so...) and a TROY TRX rail. So that's a +1 for G&P

I did have my eyes on a G&P M4 any models you guys like?

Also do they fit the Magpul PTS Pmags

Edited by Bottledtorment

Is there any particular unit you'd like to re-enact or whatever? Personally I do a USMC Force Recon kit, so I use this :

http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/airsoft-weapons-c38/electric-rifles-c45/m4-ras-6-position-p1819

It's the basic "issue" m4, conventietly the guys over at G&P have a brain and instead of front wiring it in the RAS, its rear wired to the stock tube. Comes pre-wired to mini-deans for a stock tube lipo.

PAS have the mk18 in stock ;)

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/M4-Mk18-Mod-0-with-Sling--Limited-Edition--AEG-G-P-GP615.html#SID=370

Edit:

I'd also like one of their m16a4's, well because.... MARINE CORPS AND MURICAAA B*TCHES

Shameless plug: it comes with the rail covers, foward grip and a magazine ( which is excelent by the way)

photo22_zps772d46bb.jpg

Is there any particular unit you'd like to re-enact or whatever? Personally I do a USMC Force Recon kit, so I use this :

http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/airsoft-weapons-c38/electric-rifles-c45/m4-ras-6-position-p1819

It's the basic "issue" m4, conventietly the guys over at G&P have a brain and instead of front wiring it in the RAS, its rear wired to the stock tube. Comes pre-wired to mini-deans for a stock tube lipo.

PAS have the mk18 in stock ;)

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/M4-Mk18-Mod-0-with-Sling--Limited-Edition--AEG-G-P-GP615.html#SID=370

Edit:

I'd also like one of their m16a4's, well because.... MARINE CORPS AND MURICAAA B*TCHES

Shameless plug: it comes with the rail covers, foward grip and a magazine ( which is excelent by the way)

photo22_zps772d46bb.jpg

I was actually looking for the Mod1 version (one with the 9.5 inch DD rail)

The problem you face is the more realistic you get the less compatible you get. If you get a lock back bolt and mag release feature then its partly dependent on the follower on the magazine and hence you will have mag compatibility issues. The Systema PTW is probably about the best realism AEG out there but its custom mags and bits everywhere, good gun but not compatible. Gas guns don't swap magazines at all so that is a major team issue.

There is a real challenge here to getting the benefit of Stanargs or AK magazines across the entire team but then if you can't actually swap magazines then its not as useful as it might first appear. I think the biggest issue MDF had in the last game in this regards was BB weight. We are using anything from 0.20's all the way up to 0.30g BBs in our magazines, and of course many peoples guns could not cope with my very heavy BBs, and my custom gun no longer works well with light BBs. There is more to the problem than just guns and magazine compatibility, its also ammo which is gun dependent as well.

I had an M4 fest yesterday and looked at M4s until my vision blurred.

Ended up helping my mate buy an XL combat machine from G&G which was a lot more realistic than I expected for the money, but my heart lurched over the G&Ps. I might just forgive them over my M249 manual - times a great healer right ?

Unfortuntely the one I fell in love with was over £400.

One thing I didnt know is that G&P dont seem to like Blaster bbs and G&G bbs were recommended to me to use with any G&P product.

It depends on the level of milsim you will be going for, a lot of the very serious milsim events have a slightly higher fps level than the norm and the players tend to be far more serious in kit/weapon choice many of the guys are using either systemas or tweaked GBBR rifles, milsim is very much about the realism and it can also still be quite elitist so HPA is a bit frowned upon, mag capacity never allows hi caps and some will require real caps over even mid caps

I really wouldn't worry about mags between players, carry what you're allowed and use what you have rather than depending on what could happen, I've played a few milsims and have gone for many hours not even making enemy contact and have also done 36hours and only used 2 mid caps during the entire time

• Supporters

Mr cheapo G&G here....

Did you look at the sexy MK18 (crap mid cap) or the GC16 30th metal

both £150 airsoftworld and my own personal favourites - cheap and great value for money

very nice to work on and tweak.

Yes everybody has CM's but then they are the Ford Transit's of airsoft but....

if something is very popular/common it usually means it is a good bang for ya buck so to speak

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.