understanding fps

oddjob

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all

i have got my first gun

cm16 raider l and its a 2 tone with a fps of 340

I was wondering that fps can that increase due to any natural influences?

billericay airsoft limit is 350 and i dont wana go and find it is over the limit

Ino this is a complete noob question but it better safe than sorry

thanks all

Also might be worth noting that if you haven't actually chrono'd your gun and are just taking the manufacturers word for it, your rifle could be +/- 340 by a long way (not over 340 by much but it could be under by a lot)

Also might be worth noting that if you haven't actually chrono'd your gun and are just taking the manufacturers word for it, your rifle could be +/- 340 by a long way (not over 340 by much but it could be under by a lot)

Airsoft zone chrono the gun before i got it and write it down on my receipt

• Supporters

Luckily my site's chrono seems to match high on exactly to my own chrono even though they are different makes

(Guess they can't be both outta whack)

Fps will always well 99.9999999% always go down over time as spring loses tension n seals wear etc......

The daft 0.0000001 thingy if dirty barrel tight snagging piston etc and clears itself or you clean barrel

Scientific crap could be different thermal air bollox that can affect range a little might change fps also

Along with hop up wear could also effect fps

Think that may roughly cover abnormalities...

But fps usually drops over time not increases

Unless your spring was changed by the airsoft pixies whilst you slept, bastid pixies

• Supporters

Is that the all in one mofo silencer thingy

I have just packed me little 3200 just in case

End of the day though the site/marshal has final say

So if they have $hit the bed and really don't like you

You are boned no matter what your chrono says

But handy to know though most site marshals allow a bit of give

Eg if 1 shot was 349 that is what they must see

Hate to bring this up for you.

Skirmish Billericay don't Chrono in FPS. They do it via M/s.

I think the Site limit for .2's is 106.6m/s.

They also don't allow anything that goes over it, even in the slightest. So 106.7 is too "hot"...

• Supporters

106.6m/s is 350fps

The reason sites are very strict with the 350 'limit' is that it isn't actually the limit. The limit is 328 (1 joule with a .20 gram) +5% variance for chrono error and genuine gun fluctuations gives 348? (or thereabouts)

But 348 is a stupid number, so it's rounded to 350.

It's the variance and the rounding up that gives the player the benefit of the doubt as to being able to use the gun on site, so when you chrono at 351fps and say 'but it's only 1 fps over' you're actually 23 over...

350 fps on their site

That is on the website, their actual Chronos are set to M/s...

106.6m/s is 350fps

The reason sites are very strict with the 350 'limit' is that it isn't actually the limit. The limit is 328 (1 joule with a .20 gram) +5% variance for chrono error and genuine gun fluctuations gives 348? (or thereabouts)

But 348 is a stupid number, so it's rounded to 350.

It's the variance and the rounding up that gives the player the benefit of the doubt as to being able to use the gun on site, so when you chrono at 351fps and say 'but it's only 1 fps over' you're actually 23 over...

All i was saying is that their Chrono's are set to M/s and their data sheet only that they refer to has a limit of 106.6 (I think) It might even be 106.4.. Not Disputing M/s to FPS, just clearly stating what they use as a frequent site attender.

if it says 340 in the box its pretty likely all is well. The guys at billericay will be able to help if it turns out its above the limit, they have a tech and shop on site so a replacement spring should be possible.

Just didnt wana turn up and then get told its over thats all.

• Supporters

My experience with a hot gun that that was hitting 352 - 355ish

I had a suspicion that it was over SRC Dragon but didn't know if my own chrono was a bit out so took a chance

The marshal could of been a bit of a job's worth but he was doing his job and I still fully respect him for that

he did say could I tweak the hop a tiny bit to squeeze it under - but it was one like Raider where dust cover don't stay down

it was sprung loaded which was a pain to tweak with gloves on needing another hand etc.....

I fumbled about a bit but with gloves it was proving a tad awkward and we was getting ready to go out

he was explaining If I can see it at 349 I can kind of allow it but it was still over 350 - just

it wasn't 351 - 371 it was 351, 354, 352 etc.......

In the end I got another crappier BB gun out firing at 270-ish but though I had the hump going back to car

I fully understood and kind of knew/expected it could happen if chrono was same result as mine at home

I fully expect to have my gun chrono'd but have been shocked when one or two sites haven't chrono'd at all

one was kind of well known on here but another was a under 18 one I dropped my son off at

and expected a bit more safety I guess for younger player sites.....

But my own site has its faults I will openly admit but at least I can vouch on how thourough they are on chrono

which is good to know - yes there are ways to try n cheat the chrono at players risk of permanent ban

but in general it is there for a good safe valid reason - all of our safety

But Op's G&G will be fine - I'm 99% sure of that

Just pointing out - a Tokyo Marui would normally hit about 300-ish and would pi$$ all over the SRC

so to anyone else out there getting a gun to fire at absolute max 349.99999 means f*ck all

if like the SRC its all over the place and no real range

The fps is the muzzle velocity but power often means very little if you have no proper control over it

besides even with a hot gun - that barn door I shoot at keeps moving around ffs

Just didnt wana turn up and then get told its over thats all.

I know the guys there pretty well and they are strict about the limit but they will also find a way for you to enjoy the day they really are a great group of guys running this site. Which if for you is buying a spring and downgrading it then that is what you can have happen.

Everyone goes through this with their first airsoft gun, I had no information in the box of mine at all and I had to take it off to a shop to get it chronoed for a fee and found it was over 328 and faced the need to downgrade it. You and I know you don't want to hurt anybody and you don't want a gun shooting hot in the chrono area and getting rejected for the day, but the retailers in the UK do know what they are doing and when they listed that FPS they did so to ease your fears. They often downgrade guns imported and test them to ensure they are within limits for the sites around the UK.

If you are going to Billericay this weekend I will be there, in Flecktarn with a Tar 21 (no one else is going to match that description). I will bring my toolbox and an M100 spring that is about 330fps in my CM16, I can fix it if the gun comes out hot. I have my own CM16 so I know how they come apart (I'll bring my hammer!). I can also bring some wire cutters and a blow torch and shorten your spring a coil as well to get it just under the limit to maximise your range. Either is fine with me. But I doubt you'll need the help.

Thanks for the offer.

sadly i aint fit to airsoft for a couple of weeks

Quiet happy there is help available tho.

It has been bugging me since i got the gun and thought 340 was close.

I run mine at 345-347, 340 is a mile away from the limit. There is variance in chrono's but if its that much someone has a broken one and/or a low battery.

Quiet abit to learn i see

i am gona try and go on the 31st.

thats if i am well enough.

Quiet abit to learn i see

i am gona try and go on the 31st.

thats if i am well enough.

There will be a group of us turning up on the 31st with any luck, if you want to join us you're welcome to. I'll have some tools on me, but no where near close to what BrightCandle will have.

Speaking of, BrightCandle. Is it you that we met up with in Feb? Discussing your Tar and the lovley sling you made from the paracord?

There will be a group of us turning up on the 31st with any luck, if you want to join us you're welcome to. I'll have some tools on me, but no where near close to what BrightCandle will have.

Speaking of, BrightCandle. Is it you that we met up with in Feb? Discussing your Tar and the lovley sling you made from the paracord?

That would be me. Isn't anyone else at Billericay with a Tar 21.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.