How good is my gun build?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all,

Recently just swapped out my M249 for a full custom M4 build that "cost at least over £400", and was hoping I could get an insight into the internal build quality to see if it's actually worth the apparent price, judged from the parts it has. I'm not exactly a gearhead when it comes to AEG's (I'm more accustomed to GBB's), I'm dependent on my favourite ever-growing forum to help clear the air :)

• Ultimate Gearbox w/full Lonex internals
  • G&G Standard metal hopup
  • Unknown barrel make, but is a silver 16 inch silver barrel that unscrews partway to attach a silencer.
  • GFC M4 Reciever body
  • TM motor

As well as this, I've found that theirs no compression whatsoever when it comes to firing my magazines, and the trigger locks up fairly often, even when dry firing. Can i assume that the piston head is otherwise F**ked, as problem #1?

• Supporters

Most of those parts wouldn't make me think "uber leet high spec build" to be honest. The gearbox should be pretty sound though. Lack of compression may be nozzle to hop seal or piston head o-ring or even a shitty nozzle alone. If it's not working properly then the cost of the parts is irrelevant in what the actual gun is worth.

Well i've been chatting to the seller who isn't that far from me whos willing to take it back in and have a look; even said that the hop rubber might be the issue. Regardless, if all else fails, I'm on the fence whether to keep the gun and sell the parts or retrieve my m249 (In working condition, considering he's looking to change the motor)

• Supporters

Personally I'd have the SAW back unless the M4 can be made to work reliably and is EPIC. There's plenty of "custom M4" builds out there that just don't warrant the price tag that the sellers seem to want. I could certainly never make back the money I spent doing up mine (certainly over £400) because at the end of the day, it's still just an M4.

Well considering the guy's part list and the dry firing to hear the ROF (Which is monsterous), it does sound like it'll put some heads down (if it works) and might be worth abit more than the SAW just on the parts alone, considering a new SAW will set someone back £280. As long as my seller isn't trying to screw me over, which is still a possibility, I'll have faith in his ability to actually try and give a good trade off.

• Supporters

what about ya: CAA Sportsline M4 ???

and soz but all you have is:

Ultimate Gearbox w/full Lonex internals - well yeah it would have coz its Lonex Ultimate Gearbox

that is like a £100-£120 gearbox maybe with 16:1 gears

(don't think I would shell out that on a box but to each their own)

G&G Standard metal hopup - sounds good but probably a left over from an upgrade

Unknown barrel make, but is a silver 16 inch silver barrel that unscrews partway to attach a silencer

dunno 400mm barrel could be almost anything with an extension or not - can't quite work out but nothing super duper it sounds

GFC M4 Reciever body - Gunfire's own brand so probably £40 - £50 tops upgrade or shell to put these left overs in

TM motor - uhm ergh so what - it ain't gonna make it shoot like a TM

I've found that theirs no compression whatsoever when it comes to firing my magazines, and the trigger locks up fairly often, even when dry firing. Can i assume that the piston head is otherwise F**ked, as problem #1?

No compression - could be a bad nozzle/hop problem

trigger locks up - could be the semi release problem - you probably releasing it in the "dead zone"

it should not lock up up if you keep the trigger a little longer - you could be releasing a tad too early

Thing is the gun doesn't sound like it is running properly at all

and the stuff installed - the gearbox is probably carrying the biggest attraction - but doubt if I personally would buy one new

(yes very nice boxes I'm sure but I can't see me warranting that amount - well not the way I shoot - which is badly, very badly)

Give the guy a chance to sort it

or

get ya 249 back if it was a good 'un

Doesn't really scream high end to me either. It sounds OK but its certainly not best of breed in many aspects. I certainly wouldn't pay £400 for it.

What was the blokes name ??

There's a guy selling weapons that dont come up to scratch to people on this forum & a few other forums

Ok, wasnt the bloke I thought of

• Supporters

Well sounds like he's had me then haha. looks like im building an M4 :) Anyone know decent inexpensive recommended motors/hopups?

Let's just set things straight: the G&G hop up isn't bad, neither is the TM motor. What we're saying is that its possibly not as good as you've been led to believe. If it's making a decent RoF, don't panic. Address the actual issues first, namely - where is all the compression getting out?

As I said earlier it may even just be a badly fitted or knackered hop rubber.

• Supporters

Agreed, soz if I was pulling it to bits

I was just being honest, not ultra high spec but yup

certainly better than most of mine to be honest

Once she is running and you get the leak compression issue sorted she will make for quite a good one

Ultimate Gearbox w/full Lonex internals - Gearbox should be good but Lonex don't make the best internals. Best of breed would probably be siegetek gears, ultimate cylinder/piston head/cylinder head/piston + mosfet micro switch trigger.

G&G Standard metal hopup - They are fine but the prowin is a much better hop up unit. Would also be nice if the barrel/hop was R hopped.

Unknown barrel make... - Most barrels are actually pretty rubbish in terms of straightness and finish. PDI or prometheus are decent, everything else is what you get until you get those. So unlikely its best of available.

GFC M4 Reciever body - No idea, its metal its got the right markings but no idea the quality of the metal. Not even sure what the best would be as it tends to be what you get with the base gun as they are all a little different.

TM motor - Best of breed here would be either something like a torque motor again from say ASG their U35000, or a high speed motor and associated gearbox.

So basically none of the so called upgrades is really top of the market competitive. With all the best bits it would be more than £400 however (it would be £90 on the barrel and another £80 on the motor and £100's on the gearbox).

Well looking at the parts ive got, the motor is an EG-1000 TM motor, which doesnt seem to even engage the bevel gear. As well as that, one of the piston teeth has literally broke itself out, ripping out of the piston. From the looks of it, i'm gonna be running on spares until i buy a new gearbox i can upgrade ^_^

Hell, i even have my bros CAA M4 Sportsline as my main now, so should that break down somewhere i can swap out the parts n make me a mean machine!

• Supporters

No, no, ne no ne no!

It's all very well trying to make our friend here feel better about his deal, but the truth is he's been bent over a barrel and bumraped!

For once Sitting Duck hit the nail right on the head without any confusion or ambiguity. TM motor? Well whoop-de-do... I've got one of them in my TM/Innokatsu AK-47S - it's not as good as a GFC Tornado F2 and absolute bollocks compared to either SHS High Speed or High Torque (depending on your build direction).

Fuck it off back to him and get your SAW back. If you're sick of it, sell it to someone who will pay you what it's worth so you can then buy an actual working replacement...

BTW, my estimation of the value of the M4 is about £160 tops, if it was working. In its current state, £90 posted.

No, no, ne no ne no!

It's all very well trying to make our friend here feel better about his deal, but the truth is he's been bent over a barrel and bumraped!

I can tell your going to be my favourite moderator! xD

Still, £90 posted doesnt sound too bad, but the gun is quite practically in bits. And despite the guy screwing me over, i opened up the gearbox in an attempt to fix it. after telling him, he said, and i quote "If you think your going to give me back my m4 YOU broke, even after opening a £160 gearbox, im well within my rights to refuse."

Im still pretty pissed about this douche taking the high ground and not owning up to it. Granted it's my own fault on a number of areas:

Didnt check to see the gun actually fired; granted it dry fired, but isn't enough proof.

It was a swap in the middle of the night...-.-

But in fairness, i dont see much of a hard issue, considering all i need is a new piston/set of piston teeth and possibly a new hopup system. My brother is thinking of getting one of those cheap £30 gearboxes online n swapping over parts from the Lonex, but im not sure if it's worth the trade off if the piston parts are cheaper to replace. Then again, i know next to nothing about AEG's or gearboxes (though I am learning pretty quickly)

Either way, Everyone who reads the thread has the mofo's name; so don't be surprised if you see him tryna hock off a "Custom M249"

Ouch mate, sounds bad! I had a guy try to rip me off over a "lonex m4", it never arrived but I eventually got my money back. He sounds like a twat tbh, id go round there and "persuade" him to take the m4 back and give you the saw!

• Supporters

I can tell your going to be my favourite moderator! xD

Still, £90 posted doesnt sound too bad, but the gun is quite practically in bits. And despite the guy screwing me over, i opened up the gearbox in an attempt to fix it. after telling him, he said, and i quote "If you think your going to give me back my m4 YOU broke, even after opening a £160 gearbox, im well within my rights to refuse."

Im still pretty pissed about this douche taking the high ground and not owning up to it. Granted it's my own fault on a number of areas:

Didnt check to see the gun actually fired; granted it dry fired, but isn't enough proof.

It was a swap in the middle of the night...-.-

But in fairness, i dont see much of a hard issue, considering all i need is a new piston/set of piston teeth and possibly a new hopup system. My brother is thinking of getting one of those cheap £30 gearboxes online n swapping over parts from the Lonex, but im not sure if it's worth the trade off if the piston parts are cheaper to replace. Then again, i know next to nothing about AEG's or gearboxes (though I am learning pretty quickly)

Either way, Everyone who reads the thread has the mofo's name; so don't be surprised if you see him tryna hock off a "Custom M249"

You can get a lonex piston and piston head for about £22 and a new hop rubber for a fiver so pretty cheap to fix if thats all thats wrong. Ask the guy you got it from to pay for parts, he sold it faulty and lied about what its worth so it would be the decent thing for him to do.

In honesty, I'm not gonna bother with the guy; he's fucked me over once and i aint making the same mistake again on asking him to pay for parts as he'll try n dump all that shit on me because his saving grace is "you opened the gearbox." yet he ripped the warranty stickers off to begin with....flipping idiot -.-

All i wanted was a simple SAW to M4 swap. not as simple as i thought but it'll be fun to learn how to upgrade a gearbox, and to hopefully show off what someone with ACTUAL technical experience can do; he'll be begging to take it back!

If airsoft guns were cars I'd consider a 'custom M4' like buying a 1 litre hatchback some teenager put a Halfords exhaust kit on and fuked around with to try make it more fast and furious...

I'm a sceptic and would consider such a gun likely to be another M4 that aint quite right, and after lots of loving tinkering/ill-balanced upgrades the person is giving up and using a gun that works properly instead. Or perhaps a repaired franken-gun someone is getting a quick buck off. Either-way not for me!

There's always that pride and joy someone's having to sell at huge loss to keep the bailiffs away, but that's a rare one and i'd never buy a airsoft gun with significant modifications/upgrades otherwise, probably anything done to the gearbox would stop me buying.

I agree get the M249 back. If you have to sell the M249, do it for cash and buy a half decent M4.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.