WE L85A2 (Gas blowback rifle)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and probably forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

the charging handle wobbles a little bit but that's because it's held in place by the ejection port's edge overlapping the edge of it to stop it coming out. I've no idea if that's the same as on the real rifle

Yup, that is just like the real steel SA80 :-)

Don't expect AEG performance from any gas blowback rifle, the WE L85 is no exception to this rule. However, that's not to say you can't get god-like range and accuracy from them, it just means you won't get it all the time on a repeatable, game day to game day basis.

Maybe I'm just lucky with my G5 but once the hop is scrubbed in (needs to be done each game day) it fires bang on accurate consistently and has range as good as if not better than my RM4 (which is the best AEG I have fired)

so definitely buy one otherwise the rifle will more than likely chrono too hot for UK limits. Especially in the summer, and especially with heavier ammo

Not quite sure what heavier ammo has to do with being hot.... the 350fps on 0.2s is a joule limit converted to fps for that weight (roughly 314 on 0.25s) does the heavier ammo react different in a GBBR to an AEG?

You just need to get some steel washers, just the simple little, metal rings, and fit them between the buffer springs on the recoil rods, and the bolt.

Awesome tip, although I don't have an SA80 it is always good to have quick fix tips :-)

You just need to make sure all the parts that need to move, can move freely, and if they can't, open the gun up and see if you can figure out why

Yup, although AEGs can survive pretty well with no maintenance, they are far harder to fully service than a GBBR when they do go wrong, and simple regular maintenance will see a GBBR stay mechanically reliable, and the maintenance is very simple, easy and therapeutic to do with a beer and the tv on in an evening :-)

There are CO2 mags available for sub zero temperatures, but I honestly wouldn't waste my money on them, CO2 mags are highly prone to leaks because of the higher pressure of the gas and they're much harder to maintain and fix once leaks occur. They also cost more to buy, and significantly more to run, with CO2 being about 60p per CO2 capsule.

I'm pro CO2 at the mo, in fact just ordered a CO2 pistol and very tempted with the Tippmann M4 which can be run with HPA or CO2 mags. I just purchased a bunch of 12g CO2 cartirdges and they only cost just over 30p each... a mate up at my local site can get them for under 15p each apparently too (so will be getting some off him when I run out next time). CO2 suffers cooldown less due to its higher pressure volume in the cartridges so less of a drop in % of gas per shot fired too... saying that I have seen CO2 guns through a chrono and if fired shots close together can get quite inconsistent fps, but it is the same with gas too when in rapid fire.

Great review dude, thanks for sharing :-)

• Supporters

Not quite sure what heavier ammo has to do with being hot.... the 350fps on 0.2s is a joule limit converted to fps for that weight (roughly 314 on 0.25s) does the heavier ammo react different in a GBBR to an AEG?

[

It'll be to do with joule creep, although I ought to leave it to Ed to explain as he'd do a better job than myself.

You have to be careful with optics with these as well. The rail is slightly narrower then the other manufactures. To fit an ARES Susat on without it wobbling I had to superglue strips of cereal box onto the sides of the clamp on the scope.

You have to be careful with optics with these as well. The rail is slightly narrower then the other manufactures. To fit an ARES Susat on without it wobbling I had to superglue strips of cereal box onto the sides of the clamp on the scope.

I thought the WE had a dovetail rail like the real steel (ie not a 20mm weaver/picatinny)

On my ICS AEG i used an adapter since the rail is so low it needs a riser anyway

• Supporters

I thought the WE had a dovetail rail like the real steel (ie not a 20mm weaver/picatinny)

On my ICS AEG i used an adapter since the rail is so low it needs a riser anyway

The Susat uses a dovetail rail, he's saying the WE one is a bit too thin for it to work.
  • Supporters

I'm pro CO2 at the mo, in fact just ordered a CO2 pistol and very tempted with the Tippmann M4 which can be run with HPA or CO2 mags. I just purchased a bunch of 12g CO2 cartirdges and they only cost just over 30p each... a mate up at my local site can get them for under 15p each apparently too (so will be getting some off him when I run out next time). CO2 suffers cooldown less due to its higher pressure volume in the cartridges so less of a drop in % of gas per shot fired too... saying that I have seen CO2 guns through a chrono and if fired shots close together can get quite inconsistent fps, but it is the same with gas too when in rapid fire.

As Marcus said, I was referring to Joule creep. Joule creep is an effect which occurs when the gun in question over volumes the barrel; by which I mean the amount of air or gas it sends down the barrel is more than the barrel can physically contain.

In an AEG this amount is limited by the size of the cylinder, and cylinders are often ported when the gun is fitted with a shorter barrel, which helps match the barrel volume to the cylinder volume.

When there is more cylinder volume than barrel volume it means that lighter BBs will be accelerated out of the barrel faster than the gun can apply all of its energy to the shot.

Say for example the barrel is very short, so the amount of air it can fit in it is only 50% the amount the cylinder sends down it. If you fire a .2 out of this gun, 50% of the air will be used on the .2 and the other 50% goes to waste. If you then use heavier ammo, it takes more energy to accelerate a heavier shot out of the barrel, so the shot actually ends up with a larger than 50% share of the power, meaning the joule output behind the shot actually goes up with the heavier weight and the fps reduction will be less than what conversion charts state, because conversion charts assume that the amount of power being applied to the shot remains the same.

If the barrel volume was the same as the cylinder volume the joule output would remain the same because the full 100% of the cylinder volume would be used on just a .2, so any heavier ammo you used wouldn't have a pool of surplus air to take from, if that makes sense?

In both cases there will be an fps decrease, but the drop will be smaller on the gun with an over volumed barrel and because the drop is smaller, the joule output drop isn't the same, it's actually a joule output increase.

This effect is hugely noticeable in gas rifles because the amount of gas they direct down the barrel is MASSIVELY more than the barrel can contain, over voluming in an AEG can only ever be by a small amount, because cylinders aren't that big, but in gas guns, the gas expands continuously for as long as its being released. Firing a .2 through a GBBR probably equates to using about 20% of the power applied to launch that shot.

Even if you used a .46, you'd probably still be seeing over voluming of the barrel from the amount of gas being used by the system.

To give you a real world example, I once set up my L85 to fire at 370 on a .2, I then changed ammo to .28s, which is what I use. According to conversion charts this ought to drop the fps to 295, but when I rechrono'd... I got the same reading. 370 on a .2 = 370 on a .28, because my L85 over volumes the barrel to such an extent that adding heavier ammo barely scratches the surface off the top of the amount of gas being wasted down the barrel lol. I had to fit it with a shorter barrel just so the NPAS could go low enough to let me chrono safe in the warmer months on my ammo weight of choice. This means that I was firing over 70fps hot on .28s, but chronoing safe on .20s. So you can understand how dangerous this could potentially be if sites force you to chrono on .20s, right?

So if you chrono safe on .20s and then change to heavier ammo to play, the conversion charts will not be accurate to the drop in fps you'll be seeing in any gas rifle. Depending on how much you increase the weight, you could gain a massive increase in joule output and see only a very minor fps reduction, if any at all, so it's very important to chrono on the weight you intend to use.

If I set my L85 up to fire at 500fps on a .2, and then loaded it with .46s, I can barely even imagine what sort of ridiculous power it'd be putting out. I actually want to get a chrono to try it out sometime because I'm convinced it'd punch through baked bean tins with ease. Probably both sides of them.

Also, with regard to the CO2 thing - Yes, liking it is fine and it is a better gas, on paper. But, WE CO2 mags are bad. They might not be with whatever you're using, but if you have a WE GBBR that takes M4 mags, the WE CO2 M4 mags are shite. It kinda looks like you're discrediting my opinion when you big up CO2 like that, but I was discrediting CO2 as a gas based on the way with which you use it with this gun. People reading that part of your comment could lead someone to buy CO2 mags based on your experience with a different platform and end up wasting a lot of money.

Not trying to call you out on it or anything, I agree CO2 is better and I wish I could use it with my WE rifles, but the mags just aren't worth having, they leak easily, they're hard to fix and they cost more than green gas mags. Most people generally can't get CO2 for that cheap either. The best deal I could get was £15 for 30, which is 50p a capsule.

• Supporters

This is true. I forgot to mention it. I'll edit it in now.

• Supporters

Hadn't realised that it made that much difference, will have an experiment when I've got the G5 up and running again :-)

Not at all mate, was more an observation on my experience of CO2 and have not even fired a green gas SA80 let alone a CO2 powered one so please don't think I was saying you were wrong on this gun. You did mention 60p a 12g cartridge before though and I wanted to point out that they can be had an awful lot cheaper than that (up to 4x cheaper). I guess it is my writing style that made it seem like I was discrediting you, not intentional at all. I should proof read more than just typos before hitting the submit button to try avoid it happening, soz.

• Supporters

Hadn't realised that it made that much difference, will have an experiment when I've got the G5 up and running again :-)

Not at all mate, was more an observation on my experience of CO2 and have not even fired a green gas SA80 let alone a CO2 powered one so please don't think I was saying you were wrong on this gun. You did mention 60p a 12g cartridge before though and I wanted to point out that they can be had an awful lot cheaper than that (up to 4x cheaper). I guess it is my writing style that made it seem like I was discrediting you, not intentional at all. I should proof read more than just typos before hitting the submit button to try avoid it happening, soz.

No harm done, I know you didn't intend it that way, but just generally praising CO2 whilst quoting me talking badly about it makes it look like a opinion to counter my own which could mislead anyone that doesn't know either of us.

I was just trying to explain how the CO2 mags were bad, not the gas.

• 1 year later...

So I bought this gun a little over a week ago and it just came in today. I absolutely love it and I cant wait to take it out on the field but I want to get some optics for it. I haven't been able to find any WE brand SUSAT scopes in my area and I was wondering if anyone knew of some 20mm picatinny adapter rails that would fit on the 18mm dovetail. I did quite a few google searches but so far I my searches have been less than fruitful, any feedback would be great, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Ed, this and your ICS review are some of the best written on the Internet. If you haven't already you should definately write to some retailers and offer your services as a reviewer.

I'm looking at potentially getting an L85 for my next purchase (along with G36 series and SA VZ 58) and was leaning towards the ICS L85 because of your review and the fact I am part of a Mil-Sim group on Arma 3. I never originally considered gas due to concerns of how much the gas would cost.

But from reading the above I'm some what eased on that concern but that leads me to another question. I am not as technically minded as some, as such I tend not to 'tinker' and would not be hugely confident with repairing stuff myself.

With this in mind, what is easier to repair when they go wrong, AEGs or GBBR?

I thought before reading/watching both reviews that this would obviously be the AEGs however the components seem alot more complex, fragile and 'finicky' with alot more components that could go wrong whereas from your take down of the WE they look a lot more straight forward.

• 3 years later...

I realize this is an old thread but I had just recently acquired the WE L85 GBB and am very happy with it. It came with the standard handguard and I changed it to a Madbull Daniel Defence rail - this is a used one from an ICS AEG. The adaptor needs to be modified so that is fits the WE L85. Also changed the iron sights to a G&G SUSAT and the mount needed to be shimmed as indicated in the earlier posts above. 

Would recommend this airsoft rifle just for the 'fun' factor :)

WE L85 GBB Rail Install (02).jpg

WE L85 GBB Rail Install (04).jpg

WE L85 GBB Rail Install (08).jpg

WE L85 GBB Rail Install (11).jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and probably forgotten) topic.