Best games on PC?

DX115FALCON

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So yeah, I'm getting a new PC next month. I've barely dipped my toes into PC gaming so far- my laptop can only run games which came out before 2006- and I was wondering which PC games are good? Kinda looking for something which will blend in with my other favourites, as well as trying some new games to get into.

At the moment, I'm a fan of shooters (tactical, third person, stealth shooters, FPS games), games which fall into the "Action Adventure" category- such as the Arkham & Assassin's Creed games. I also enjoy some survival horror games (NOT THE EVIL WITHIN, fucking hated that!)- like Resident Evil 4 and Alien Isolation. REALLY want some new things to get into though. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Insurgency is good Ive played it for about 20hours, its like a more realistic CS with aiming down sights.

TBH there is such a wide array of game genres on PC its just down to you, I personally love the Total War Games! ROME 2 is definitely a game that can make hours seem like minutes when you really get into it.

Arma 3 if you can find a group to play multiplayer with, its kind of the ultimate virtual battleground and really nothing like other games at all since its milsim to their speedball.

Insurgency, Gary's mod, battlefield 4 and orcs must die 2 are my favourite games at the moment.

Ill admit the last patch of BF4 was finally a playable experience for me, especially as the DMRs are now useful. However the map design drives me back to BF3 everytime.

• Supporters

Il sturmovik forgotten battles!

Battlefield 1942

Medal of honour allied assault.

I think he might like something a bit more up to date than those....

Of course if not then:

Ghost Recon (the original one)

Rainbow Six: Raven Shield

Call of Duty (the first one - if only for the Volga River crossing).

I'd recommend giving Mount and Blade a look (there are a few versions kicking around, such as M&B Warband, Fire and Sword, etc, etc) plus a new update is presently under development. Graphically M&B isn't the best by a long way, and was not even the best even when it first came out, but the graphics are good enough and more than adequate for fun, and in any case, screw graphics snobbery, it's the gameplay which matters more. As far as combat mechanics are concerned, for a bit of swordplay, archery and (early) firearms, castle sieges and the like, either on or off horseback, in FPS mode, the M&B series has no equal. On your decent PC, you can crank everything up to full throttle and experience truly massive battles which are some of the most fun you'll ever have.

• Supporters

Mount and blade is really well done and there's a Napoleonic wars mod if that's your sort of thing.

I haven't played it in a while but Verdun is worth checking out. It's a WW1 FPS made by a small studio with pretty solid shooting mechanics, similar to the original COD games. The developers are constantly adding updates and conversing with the community. The gameplay features a lot of trench warfare with a nice push/pull mechanic tied to it.

Verdun is certainly interesting to come back to every so often to see what has been updated. Sticking your head up is definitely a very calculated risk best not taken :P

• Supporters

I've tried to get some mates to play Verdun as it's definitely better in a group but none seem interested.

Path of Exile is worth a shot if you like action RPGs as the free to play model is spot on. You only pay for cosmetic items and little perks like bank space even though you get tons by default.

I'd still recommend DayZ mod running overpoch over the standalone as it has far more features including base building. Military loot is a lot more prevalent, but to be honest after playing DayZ for a couple of years I recognise how the current format is essentially a good PVP game and not a whole lot else.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.