Woodland or CQB????

Steelrain

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Everyone's different and as much as I'm gonna love getting out in the woodland I'm really looking forward to playing some cqb, sadly there's not much in the way of that down here ....

What do you prefer and can you tell me of any good CQB site's (or woodland)?

I prefer woodland but my experience of CQB is Halo Mill which isn't the best indoor site, because it's really small. It also seems too easy to defend one side but maybe that was just me and the team on that day.

Hopefully going back soon and using my pistol that I'm getting which should be better than using an M4.

Where are you located?

I've not played CQB (yet) but I imagine it's a lot more fast paced than woodland.

Located in Cornwall so a trek to anywhere would be needed but if it's good I'll head up.... Got some family near reading and had seen "the mall" looks fun and I like the idea of a little more pace.

I prefer woodland but my experience of CQB is Halo Mill which isn't the best indoor site, because it's really small. It also seems too easy to defend one side but maybe that was just me and the team on that day.

That's the trouble it's gotta be worth my while lol :)

Woodland is more level playing field (if thats not a contradiction?!) ie a noob can take out a l33t player by use of cover, and luck and skill are fairly balanced, whereas CQB is more down to tactical play requiring more skill/tactics, very often it seems down to who throws the most pyro/bfg's.

Generally I prefer Woodland to be honest.

That's the trouble it's gotta be worth my while lol :)

I think The Mall will be much better. It's a lot different to the place I'm on about. There are a lot of people who go there as well who can tell you about it whereas I think there's only me and Cropzy who go to Halo Mill.

I can vouch for that, especially at Alpha..

Exactly, although there are places where the foliage is so thick its more like CQB, and moreso now the containers have a maze type entry, bfg's are a big hit lol!

• Supporters

I like both, but I find CQB can be a bit arcadey for want of a better word. Tend to see a lot of weird acrobatics as people try and get fast shots off - I've also seen more stuff like kill trading and the other person doesn't take their shot or draws and shoots after you hit them.

It's all preference though at the end of the day and effectively clearing rooms in CQB is one of the most satisfying aspects of Airsoft as far as i'm concerned.

I like both, but I find CQB can be a bit arcadey for want of a better word. Tend to see a lot of weird acrobatics as people try and get fast shots off - I've also seen more stuff like kill trading and the other person doesn't take their shot or draws and shoots after you hit them.

It's all preference though at the end of the day and effectively clearing rooms in CQB is one of the most satisfying aspects of Airsoft as far as i'm concerned.

Haha weird acrobatics! Although not calling hits would P me off.

All the best sites seem to be miles away from me. I've noticed sites hold night games are the good fun?

Woodlands good and I do like it but I'm a bit of a urban fan or a site with both is the best

Forgive meif I sound like a complete dick and am asking a stupid question but urban being an outdoor site played purely with buildings?? that would be pretty good :)

So far my experience of CQB hasn't been very good, the woodland has been much better. But I think it really depends on the sites you have near you and what is actually good, I think that matters far more than the type of site. TWA for example has a combination of CQB and woodland and I actually prefer their close in fighting as it depends less on gun accuracy and a bit more on movement. But in the woodland its possible to flank and move around considerably more tactically. Billericay for example is a large site and there is always a way to break through or around the opposing team and I find that sort of game play is a lot more fun than two teams both stuck at a choke point firing at each other with infinite respawns.

From being around on the forums are there any woodland sites that stand?

I wish I could answer that, but I've not travelled extensively tbh. I can only say having played at a handful of woodland sites and 4 CQB sites that its usually the woodland sites that keep me coming back. The Manor near Warrington is a great mix of both though, recommend it if you get a chance.

• Supporters

The Manor are always doing themed weekends too - it's on my list of sites i want to visit in 2015.

As people have said above, they are quite different game styles:

I enjoy the adrenaline of CQB - if it's a good site, with lots of hiding places/rubble/barricades/etc then you never know where your next opponent is going to pop up from - it gets my heart racing and my nerves jangling...

But I also love the tactical aspects of woodland play - if the site is big enough then you can operate at distances where camouflage is effective without having to be immobile in a thick bush - the whole outflanking and coordinated attacks malarky, ie proper tactics, is great fun - and whilst you can work in small teams, or pairs, in CQB, especially for room clearance, you're often in small spaces and/or choke points which restrict what more than 2 people can do in conjunction, whereas outdoors you can occasionally get a degree of cooperation amongst loads of players...

I agree that room clearance in teams of 3 or 4 is some of the best airsofting going, but when a plan involving 5-6 groups of people comes together, when everyone does their part and you rampage through the opposition like Harold Shipman through an old folks home, even if you're not in the front line getting the spectacular hits, it still feels great!

Just checked out a vid on YouTube and that does look alright.... Also checked maps and is 5:30hrs away but I noticed on their website they do wknd walk-on :)

They do full on Zombie weekends there too iirc. Zed Adventures are the guys you want to look up, they do the Mall Reading too.

Do I have to pick? I love sites that mix both together.

If I had to choose I'd say woodland. At each CQB site I've been to it's not been a gun fight as such - more like a pyro fight. I do like the rush of it, don't get me wrong, but I enjoy the stealth style gameplay you can get at a woodland site.

when everyone does their part and you rampage through the opposition like Harold Shipman through an old folks home

That has to go down in the book of greatest analogies....how do you like those apples Clarkson?!

I must say that from playing paintball many moons ago (don't hate the player hate the game) and playing both woodland and sup-air I loved both styles for different reasons but no game have I played in or around an urban setting so maybe that is what I find appealing.

They do full on Zombie weekends there too iirc. Zed Adventures are the guys you want to look up, they do the Mall Reading too.

I have family in Bracknell so i definately reckon I'll be heading to the mall when I have all my kit!

I like cqb and woodland, my experience of cqb is at the towers FAO site, not cheap but well worth the money and it's my nearest site.

Cqb does have a distinct advantage as regardless of the weather you are dry and relatively warm!

• Supporters

I love woodland the site is play at is 100% the best woodland site I've played at so far but I do occasionally enjoy some CQB as well. S.W.A.T Liverpool is a quality CQB site and I've played at Urban 6 but don't like it for a number of reason, whilst the site is brilliant for it there's other factors I belive are stupid and not player friendly.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.