Anyone else addicted to….

Flightradar24 app?

I can’t help but find myself virtually watching flights 

Especially if I see a vapour trail coming off an aircraft at 40,000 feet

I just have to know where it’s going

I love knowing the whereabouts of particular aircraft as well, the C17 that was in James Bond Spectre, was used to fly the Queens coffin from Edinburgh to Englandshire

Im not a plane spotter, just love the app 

Edited by Enid_Puceflange

• Supporters

I'm not, but I used to work with a couple of guys that are, every teabreak they'd be staring at the sky.

BUT

I live right by the beach, so light pollution isn't too bad, & if I'm out with the dogs just before bed I find myself staring up at the night sky looking for faint satellites or the flashes when they rotate, anyone know is there a tracking app for them ?

40 minutes ago, Tackle said:

I'm not, but I used to work with a couple of guys that are, every teabreak they'd be staring at the sky.

BUT

I live right by the beach, so light pollution isn't too bad, & if I'm out with the dogs just before bed I find myself staring up at the night sky looking for faint satellites or the flashes when they rotate, anyone know is there a tracking app for them ?

My father in law lives by folkstone beach so he is always on the ship tracking app seeing where certain ships have been and are heading too 

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Jez_Armstrong said:

My father in law lives by folkstone beach so he is always on the ship tracking app seeing where certain ships have been and are heading too 

I'm just along the coast from him in greatstone, keep thinking I'll get a decent spotting scope or bigger, but with all the little rubber boats I'd probably end up a snitch for ukba, screaming down the phone "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CANT CALL AN AIRSTRIKE ON THEM, WHAT ABOUT ARTILLERY ?" 🤨

2 hours ago, Tackle said:

BUT

There are a couple, gotta pay for them

There is one for the ISS too, which is free

Great to watch that on a clear night doing it’s 17,000 kph across the sky

3 hours ago, Tackle said:

I'm just along the coast from him in greatstone, keep thinking I'll get a decent spotting scope or bigger, but with all the little rubber boats I'd probably end up a snitch for ukba, screaming down the phone "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CANT CALL AN AIRSTRIKE ON THEM, WHAT ABOUT ARTILLERY ?" 🤨

Ah they are actually in Dymchurch so much closer!

I'm one for the flight radar app, I'd rather see the thing than the moving symbol but the otherhalf is addicted to it, especially as we live fairly near two military testing/training areas and a commercial flight plath.

I used to have it on my phone but deleted it as I needed the memory space and didn't use it too much.

Also I'd recommend avoiding the Facebook groups about it unless you like reading dumb questions

I have flight radar 24 and it never fails to amaze me how many aircraft are in the air at any one time. I sometimes just cannot fathom the shear numbers of gas guzzling machines buzzing around our skies.

Regarding what Mr Tackle says though the night sky is awesome.iI have a celestial telescope and it's just mind-blowing to look at the moon and near earth planets.

I got my son interested and bought him a national geographic telescope five years ago and he has been bitten by the sky bug.He now has thousands of pounds of gear and is into astrophotography. Some of his pictures of galaxies and nebula are amazing.

On 30/03/2024 at 12:29, Tackle said:

Jesus, grew up on coast drive. Loved watching the lifeboat call outs 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Supporters

I live on the flightpath for AAC training flights from Middle Wallop and RAF Odiham. I'm a big fan of Flightradar so I can work out which muppet is flying at rooftop level at 2 in the morning! (it's usually a Chinook)