Motorcycle chain lube?

LazzurusMan

Saw in the mws thread they were suggesting chain lube for the metal moving parts.

Would the muck off all weather lube be OK? I already have some so it saves me a trip to halfords and a little extra money.

Duno if its good or bad but keep in mind its quite viscous and sticky.

Could be worth a try but I would say normal grease would be better.

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters
41 minutes ago, LazzurusMan said:

Saw in the mws thread they were suggesting chain lube for the metal moving parts.

Would the muck off all weather lube be OK? I already have some so it saves me a trip to halfords and a little extra money.

No, it'll seem OK initially , but it kinda dries out & if left, will harden somewhat, which is fine when you think about the  forces involved with a motorcycle chain, even a 125, but a temperamental low power gbbr, forget it, you'll regret it in the end.

• Supporters

Agreed, I'll use just about any gunk in a gearbox, but for sliding parts, only lightweight oil (3-in-1) for metal to metal, or silicone lube for anything involving plastic.

Ok, cheers everyone. Ive got some silicone oil that I use on my pistol, ill probably go with that for now.

By 3 in 1, do you mean like wd40 type stuff?

Ive got my daughter this weekend so my brain is currently fried from being repeatedly asked "why" and "whats that".

I think the 3-in-1 is this sort of stuff... y'know, proper oil from a proper man's garage toolbox.
image.png.845ca755a8b089ffb24d22d3ad5d0c82.png

WD-40 is a water-repellent primarily, the fact it's slippery is a bit of a bonus.   That's the interesting fact I've gleaned from my time on this forum (so not entirely wasted, amirite?)

Ahem.   Except (from WD-40's own website)... 

"Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal."

The other interesting fact I got from t'internet was that it was originally manufactured to prevent rust forming on the outer skin of Atlas ICBM's.
So it is (sort-of) rocket science behind it ;) :D 

So... :shrug:  not sure where that leaves things. 
I've got cans of WD-40 and WD-40 Silicone and I've avoided using either of them on any of my toys... so far.  

I've also got Muc-Off chain lube, both wet and dry varieties - I'm gonna try the dry one on the GBBR bolt first, see how it goes.   The plastic slidey-bits will still get silicone grease mixed with silicone oil, which (in my ignorance) I was using on the metal bits.   Which probably means they've worn faster than if I'd used oil. 

Yep 3in1 is a good oil as well as GT85

You might want a thin layer of grease which won't run everywhere.

Apparently WD-40 was developed to protect missiles in underground silos from rusting 😄

Edited by EDcase

Cheers guys. I'll pick some up next time I'm b&q direction.

7 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I think the 3-in-1 is this sort of stuff... y'know, proper oil from a proper man's garage toolbox.
image.png.845ca755a8b089ffb24d22d3ad5d0c82.png

WD-40 is a water-repellent primarily, the fact it's slippery is a bit of a bonus.   That's the interesting fact I've gleaned from my time on this forum (so not entirely wasted, amirite?)

I once looked up the ingredients of WD on the German TuV website.  I think that it was 50%ish thinners; so an effective penetrant and degreaser.  It will make steel corrode over time, and rots rubber.  

Given that stainless steel skinned Atlas rockets were deployed in San Diego, I dunno why people use this to lube or protect.  Stopping 304 stainless steel from corroding in a climate that doesn't drop below about 10 deg. C isn't something that's exactly difficult.  

3-in-1 comes in different grades now too, light and heavy.  I think that the tin you inherit from your Grandfather is light.  

I think that was because they were bad for certain types of rubber used in seals.

But I don't know if its still relevant since seals aren't made of rubber anymore and use synthetic compounds instead.

Basically I use oil for light parts including seals or silicone grease on heavier metal to metal contact.  Haven't had any issues yet...

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

I thought oil based lubricants were not recommended for airsoft guns.

Or is that another myth?

Metal parts will be fine, but for example rubbers seals can be damaged by petroleum based products, & silicon based sprays will cause them to swell, something I found out the hard way when one of my hi-capa's stopped cycling properly 😢 

Every time I read one of these threads I feel more confused than ever 😂

I think I'm going to cover everything with Mazola, see how that goes...

Silicone oil only has an issue with silicone orings and then not always.

Decent orings will resist all oils, the plastics often dislike mineral oils.

My go to is silicone oil on moving metal parts and a grease on gears or for assembly.

Bearings like grease, bushings need regular lube so oil there. 

Exactly which grease doesn't matter that much, the pressures are low and temperatures fall in nearly all grease temp ranges.