Body worn video for marshalls

10 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

Only if they're working for another company contracted to provide security etc, staff directly working "in house" don't. The only exceptions to this are door supervision in licenced premises or vehicle imobilisation (NI only)

Most Airsoft marshals aren't working for anyone. They are generally volunteers who get reimbursed travel expenses. The whole data security and employee issues would make running body cams legitimately and nightmare.

7 minutes ago, BigStew said:

Most Airsoft marshals aren't working for anyone. They are generally volunteers who get reimbursed travel expenses. The whole data security and employee issues would make running body cams legitimately and nightmare.

Note that volunteers are working, and on a legal basis many volunteers and the organisations they volunteer for have unwittingly entered into an employment contract

Though it may be common for airsoft marshals to be unpaid volunteers this is a poor model for the airsoft industry, it’s more of the norm in paintball for Marshall’s and other staff to be employees

(In a number of activities I do and have volunteered, I am handled as staff, though unpaid, and I am insured for their liability to me and for their business liability of anything I do ‘in my duties’

None of this changes GDPR nor SIA status 

Driver Wood require a policy for data collected already (data collected for ticket sales, waivers etc) and cameras add to the data handled

6 minutes ago, BigStew said:

Volunteers also don't need a licence, although I'm not sure if being reimbursed for travel expenses could be counted as payment. That would be for the courts to decide if it ever comes to that (and if it did the site would probably have bigger problems to worry about)

It could also be argued that marshals are there in more of a stewarding role than security so again wouldn't need to be licensed.

More info on what you do and don't need a SIA licence for can be found here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/find-out-if-you-need-an-sia-licence#when-you-do-not-need-an-sia-licence

Its not so much the cameras being worn which could be a legal minefield, more how the images are used

Has anyone asked Driver Wood why they've decided to do this?

8 hours ago, Sewdhull said:

I'm unsure why you would think that. 

I hold an SIA licence, but it's not required to wear a body cam.

You'd only need a licence if you weren't working for the Airsoft place and then only if you were watching the footage.

Sia licences are to regulate the security industry, if you are working for the place that has the CCTV you don't need a licence. Otherwise someone in a school or shop would need an SIA licence.

All you'd need to do to comply with data protection is have a policy and stick to it. Main thing being keep the video for the least amount of time you need to.

Because by having the CCTV on your person you are in effect operating it, rather than having it controlled by a third party with the appropriate license.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-you-need-an-sia-licence-to-use-a-bodycam

You can have cameras, body worn or otherwise with a simple policy. It's not a nightmare at all.

If you contract in security they need to be licensed but otherwise you dont

2 minutes ago, GiantKiwi said:

Because by having the CCTV on your person you are in effect operating it, rather than having it controlled by a third party with the appropriate license.

Without arguing this point, if it's in house it's also irrelevant.

1 hour ago, TheFull9 said:

??

It was a call back to a thread that went very south over the weekend.

When i went to Driver Wood a while back though, it didn't strike me as a place that needed bodycams - but then another member witnessed an incident, so i might have been wrong.

5 minutes ago, GiantKiwi said:

Again only if you're a third party contractor, those working directly for the site don't need to be licensed. According to the link the only person who might need to be licensed is the owner/director and that would depend on the reasons the cameras are worn

46 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

Has anyone asked Driver Wood why they've decided to do this?

Yes on Facebook it was asked, it didn't get answered. As I said, everyone started arguing about GDPR and radio frequencies.

However it appears the post about the Tesco cosplay has been deleted off of their feed

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

Yes on Facebook it was asked, it didn't get answered. As I said, everyone started arguing about GDPR and radio frequencies.

However it appears the post about the Tesco cosplay has been deleted off of their feed

That doesn't surprise me. From the short time I was in the group I got the distinct impression that anything other than having your tongue up the owner's arse wasn't acceptable

1 hour ago, Cannonfodder said:

That doesn't surprise me. From the short time I was in the group I got the distinct impression that anything other than having your tongue up the owner's arse wasn't acceptable

I honestly thought it had a good reputation (the site), this thread seems to be telling me otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, Robert James said:

I honestly thought it had a good reputation (the site), this thread seems to be telling me otherwise. 

So did I till I played a game there

When I played there I thought it was pretty decent.... Only issue was a player had come up from two days at NAF and was whining about being shot at.  Vaguely remember posting  about it here at the time - it was rather funny.

Site was good and facilities up there too.

It was the attitude of the owner and staff I didn't like. After arriving slightly late due to the trains I still had a face mask round my neck (it was just after covid and taxis weren't taking passengers without one) only for said owner to go into a rant about how covid was killing his business and was a load of fuss over nothing. When he finally finished and I asked for clarification of pyro rules I was told not to bother as nobody takes them. Next I had to ask several times for someone to chrono my guns, only to be told they'd be there in a couple of minutes but they never bothered. In the end I thought fuck it and joined the next game as I knew the guns were all under site limits and I'm not paying money to stand in the safezone waiting for them to finish chatting. Then later after a game I had a marshal ask why I don't have a barrel sock. When I said this was the first I'd heard about needing one I got a grumpy reply of "well it's on the Facebook page"

These along with a few other things gave me the impression they don't care and see customers as nothing but an inconvenience.

I can't really say too much about the playing area as it was a night game so only one small part was used but I do agree that the facilities in the safezone were very good compared to some places I've been 

• Supporters

In the interest of pure balance I've also been and had no issues, none major enough to not want to return; but that was 1 person on 1 day of course.  Their barrel sock rule is obviously out of the norm but the safe zone is quite possibly the nicest overall of any airsoft venue in the UK (not that I've been to every one but it's so far ahead of anything else that it's a tough one to beat).  Lots of cool stuff in the game zone too and pretty big.

Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with the barrel sock rule, in fact I think its a great idea. My issue was with the marshal's attitude 

On 25/03/2024 at 09:23, Tommikka said:

Though it may be common for airsoft marshals to be unpaid volunteers this is a poor model for the airsoft industry, it’s more of the norm in paintball for Marshall’s and other staff to be employees.

This is the model we are stuck with. Airsofters bitch about greens as it is none of them would be willing to pay what it would cost to have a fully staffed up Airsoft site.

• Supporters
Just now, Cannonfodder said:

Don't get me wrong, I've no problem with the barrel sock rule, in fact I think its a great idea. My issue was with the marshal's attitude 

Mmm, and where is it on the Facebook page?  To be fair, they do have a player pack that mentions it, in horrible, barely readable shadow-text.  It also says that all guns must be "choro’ed", so make of that what you will.

13 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Mmm, and where is it on the Facebook page?  To be fair, they do have a player pack that mentions it, in horrible, barely readable shadow-text.  It also says that all guns must be "choro’ed", so make of that what you will.

Exactly. You'd think a rule like this would be made obvious rather than being hidden away

• Supporters

I gotta be honest it seems clear enough on the site.

image.thumb.png.66fc180e0e6ca65a803b118d49b19508.png

When I went I think there was a sign/s up too (maybe?).

But no argument if I had the experience Cf had I'd be turned off the place too.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

I know what they mean to say in the air safety video ……: they could really have done with leaving out oil from  “Inspect your fill nipple for oil and wear” ….. only to later put up “Never use oil or grease on your air equipment”

I’’m sure I commented on it back at the time

I keep imagining someone sat at home, pausing the video to oil their dry fill nipple then starting up again to be told not to

…….

Back on topic ……. All safety matters should be raised in the brief 

In an ideal world, spread the safety message via every route

52 minutes ago, TheFull9 said:

I gotta be honest it seems clear enough on the site.

image.thumb.png.66fc180e0e6ca65a803b118d49b19508.png

When I went I think there was a sign/s up too (maybe?).

But no argument if I had the experience Cf had I'd be turned off the place too.

Fair play to them for adding it to the website but it wasn't there when I visited

I mean, when I was there the marshals couldn't id which ammo crate belonged to which team as they had no markings... So needing cameras....yeah, ick

Driver Woods is where I have played the most so far and I quite rate it. The save zone is very good (they have toilets that aren’t disgusting) and the playing area is good as well. 

The barrel sock rule was made quite clear I thought. 

I have never seen fights there but then I’ve only been going since last year. I would think the fight was out of the norm and certainly not common.

I've been a couple of times and it was fine. Found out about the sock rules on the day, but hired one from the shop, which works out free if you give it back. There was a bit of shouting on one of those days, but overall no real drama, nothing that might require camera, though this is only two days, and one player's perspective. 

As this is now the Driver Wood review thread, I can say I'm not elated by the play area (especially with how much money has been put into it) or the going back to the safe zone between games. Safe zone is good, food looked good, though service was VERY slow for a friend of mine, but he also hadn't pre-booked a meal. But imo the games aren't good enough for my to drive another half hour past my local site. However if friends were going and wanted me to join them, I wouldn't turn it down.