How to setup ad-hoc fire teams

ParHunter

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

5 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

One thing I've noticed over the years is that the amount a player shouts at others to move forward is inversely proportional to how close to the front they are

Isn’t that the definition of a General 😉

25 minutes ago, Fatboy40 said:

encourage people to make a bold move,

Like the time I was at Airsoft Plantation (I think), when we were encouraged to do a flanking manoeuvre... I went wandering through shoulder high ferns only to disappear very quickly down a massive hidden dip - much to the amusement of those behind me.

Edited by Dan Robinson

Generally, I'll organize with either my buddies, or folks who have military experience. They know the value of calling enemies out, holding strategic points, and pushing when they need to, so even if it's not a win at the end of the day, we'll typically take home more than our fair share of kills.

However...

If I'm working with noobs, or even just disorganized players, typically I do my best to simply hold a few strategic points and provide cover fire for anyone nearby. In my perspective, it's often tactically useless to try and organize a push, since if I leave a strategic, game-winning position and have to respawn, chances are that no one on the team will move to cover it.

At the end of the day, I feel out who is actually going to work with me and who isn't and play accordingly. It feels amazing capturing flags with one or two skilled players and really turning the tide of the battle, but if there just isn't any team cohesion, I move fast to take and hold overwatch positions and allow other players to move up safely and do well.

8 hours ago, Leo Greer said:

Generally, I'll organize with either my buddies, or folks who have military experience. They know the value of calling enemies out, holding strategic points, and pushing when they need to, so even if it's not a win at the end of the day, we'll typically take home more than our fair share of kills.

However...

If I'm working with noobs, or even just disorganized players, typically I do my best to simply hold a few strategic points and provide cover fire for anyone nearby. In my perspective, it's often tactically useless to try and organize a push, since if I leave a strategic, game-winning position and have to respawn, chances are that no one on the team will move to cover it.

At the end of the day, I feel out who is actually going to work with me and who isn't and play accordingly. It feels amazing capturing flags with one or two skilled players and really turning the tide of the battle, but if there just isn't any team cohesion, I move fast to take and hold overwatch positions and allow other players to move up safely and do well.

I get this, but at the same time I sometimes pair with newbie snipers as well so that I can give them some pointers and ideas on how to play the role. If we don't teach the noobs, they won't learn.

That said, even if we teach the noobs that doesn't necessarily mean that they will learn either 😂

On 26/09/2023 at 13:14, Tommikka said:

Sadly Plan A worked and the game was won.  I wanted to do plan B

Win some lose some. 

The difference the leadership can make or break a milsim/filsim. 

Snipers in rolling respawns, a pet hate I have been fostering for some time, you know the one, marshal with flag will be 5/10 behind last player. The convo goes like this "but my sniper, Gillie suit.......

They are mostly white noise by this point 

"sure bud you have a med, you also have a secondary...."

Mostly the same thoughts here, you quickly recognise who will be in the fire team of immediate affect. Might just be that single engagement or you might end up shooting/moving with that person for the game or morning. 

A salute to those that sit/cover angles of attack, and full confession, I did used to think "you could get closer" but then found out the hard way what happens when no one is on over watch for the objective 

On 27/09/2023 at 03:45, Impulse said:

I get this, but at the same time I sometimes pair with newbie snipers as well so that I can give them some pointers and ideas on how to play the role. If we don't teach the noobs, they won't learn.

That said, even if we teach the noobs that doesn't necessarily mean that they will learn either 😂

Absolutely true. The main reason I don't "stick with the noobs" as much is that I tend to move extremely fast to wherever I'm going, and we all know how it is getting folks to rush. We should definitely be spending time teaching new players and helping them develop their skills, but at the same time I don't want to let it interrupt my gameplan.

On 26/09/2023 at 17:46, Tommikka said:

‘Correct’ it may be, and perfectly valid to adopt as a team.

But to get the random Joe Bloggs who happens to be at the next tree or corner to know what you mean then ‘first floor’ would work for the man off the street, the Signals scaley and the Infantry dealer of death, whereas ‘floor one’ could be interpreted as ground or first floor depending on experience & knowledge 

Oh absolutely, not questioning that at all.

As for scaleybacks, well, just look at what they’re capable of, after recent news - a regular Ethan Hunt… Certainly, a higher IQ than your average infanteer 😬

I've had some luck previously doing a bit of "shopping" during Skirmish days in terms of picking up random skirmishers. Some people are more inclined to want to work as a team than others are, and will listen to people who sound like they have a plan. I've both been the guy with the plan and one of the guys tagging along behind the guy with the plan, and it has varying degrees of success. Sometimes you end up with a handful of people getting some decent cooperation going on for as long as it takes for the group to get wiped out, but once you've broken the ice in that regard those people seem much warmer to teaming up again every time you run across them in the field.

Some people don't or won't listen, which is fine: it's a Sunday Skirmish, people can entirely legitimately want to just run around shooting people where ever they feel like, teamwork with you, a random person in their eyes, isn't an obligation.

There's also plenty teams going around, there's probably at least one at your local site or at a nearby local site, and teams usually make more of an effort to do, well, teamwork. Don't expect military levels of tactical cooperation, unless they're an ex-military team (who might not be that interested in non-ex-mil applicants), but it's something more than your average Sunday Skirmisher level of teamwork, if that's the sort of gameplay you prefer to experience.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.