Is my thinking too simple….

AGR

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have big love for m9 pistols, I’m not exactly sure why or where this comes from, but I always reach for my m9 for CQB games. 

Anyway, my question is:  In theory, by design the m9 platform should have a better gas efficiency (including during our cold damp U.K. winters) with its significant cut away top slide……therefore it should perform a bit better than say my aa1911 during winter…..or is my thinking too simple?

• Supporters
22 minutes ago, AGR said:

or is my thinking too simple?

Short answer: yes

Long answer: also yes but with the caveat that different manufacturers are better than others. For example, I currently have a Tokyo Marui M9A1 which is one of their more recent designs with a larger blow back unit for more snappy pews. It works quite happily in cold weather and shoots quite nicely. I used to have the SOCOM Gear M9A1 which was all metal, with the lower rail and looked great, but leaked gas like a sieve and maybe got half a dozen rounds off before completely degassing IN THE SUMMER!

In summary, get the TM M9A1 and enjoy pwning n00bs.

In theory yes, a lighter slide will potentially be more gas efficient but in practical terms its a bit more complicated as it also depends on the efficiency of the gas mechanism and nozzle / hop seal.

Tokyo Marui's will always be the most efficient because of the plastic slides and quality of internals.

My WE M9A1 V2 has a super smooth action so I really like it.  I don't know how gas efficient it is compared to others but it will easily empty a couple of mags worth of BBs

Edited by EDcase

The only thing about TM m9’s is the lack of threaded barrel for tracer units. And in no way am I shelling out crazy money on an already top end pistol to accommodate that. 

But I do want one. 

8 minutes ago, EDcase said:

My WE M9A1 V2 has a super smooth action so I really like it.  I don't know how gas efficient it is compared to others but it will easily empty a couple of mags worth of BBs

In winter?

Edited by AGR

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, AGR said:

The only thing about TM m9’s is the lack of threaded barrel for tracer units. And in no way am I shelling out crazy money on an already top end pistol to accommodate that. 

But I do want one. 

Our definition of crazy money is clearly different!

The other thing to take into account is that if you're comparing the gas efficiency of your M9 to to that of a 1911 (complete with puny single stack mags) and it's coming off worse, then it sounds like you may just need to fix the one you have. Or just buy the TM one.

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, AGR said:

But I do want one. 

In winter?

As @Lozart has pointed, your definition of "crazy" money definitely differs from that of most players, yeah a tm is slightly more expensive than its inferior counterparts, but it shows in the quality.

Recommend you maybe look again at the prices of the pistol & an aftermarket threaded barrel, if you want a wall hanger then buy one of the lesser brands, but if your actually planning on shooting peeps all year round then tm is definitely your best option. 

Last time I looked an aftermarket threaded barrel was around £60. Add that to the £149 price of the pistol and it’s expensive. 

I think I missed the word *top in my response. Crazy money on top of the price of the pistol to get a threaded barrel. 

The cost of the gun is acceptable, just the expense of the threaded barrel

The M9a1/M9 are lovely performing pistols. It is a pity TM haven't come out with a ready threaded variant similar to their HK 45 tactical.

In fact an updated Tactical master with a threaded barrel would be swell.

If you think about it as value for money it makes sense. A TM will generally out last a WE for example by a long shot. All the TM has do is out last 2 WE's which they usually do by a long shot. Also they pretty much work well all year round. This said there are more efficient TM models than the m9. Mate of mine still runs his first edition fixed hop m9, think it's about 25yo. You wouldn't see WE doing that.

• Supporters
34 minutes ago, AGR said:

Last time I looked an aftermarket threaded barrel was around £60. Add that to the £149 price of the pistol and it’s expensive. 

I think I missed the word *top in my response. Crazy money on top of the price of the pistol to get a threaded barrel. 

Like I say, your idea of crazy money isn't the same as others. I just paid out £70ish to have the right kind of KAC suppressor to go with my SR25k (for which I also spent £100 on a different stock).

Point is, you pays your money and you takes your choice. The TM M9A1 is a very well performing piece of kit and will last, I guess you'd need to balance it with how often you actually need to run a tracer.

• Supporters
On 18/09/2023 at 19:12, Cannonfodder said:

Is the M9 a tilting or fixed barrel? If it's a tilting barrel then the extra weight of a traser may negatively impact how well it cycles.

No, not a tilting barrel.

On 18/09/2023 at 15:28, AGR said:

And in no way am I shelling out crazy money ….

On 18/09/2023 at 15:37, Lozart said:

Our definition of crazy money is clearly different!

On 18/09/2023 at 15:50, Tackle said:

As @Lozart has pointed, your definition of "crazy" money definitely differs from that of most players,

On 18/09/2023 at 15:55, AGR said:

On 18/09/2023 at 16:32, Lozart said:

Like I say, your idea of crazy money isn't the same as others. I just paid out £70ish to have the right kind of KAC suppressor to go with my SR25k (for which I also spent £100 on a different stock).

Just reiterating others

“Crazy money” and “value for money” are entirely contextual and very personal 

We have hobbies that involve playing games funded from our disposable income (ideally, otherwise that does become crazy money, or in the words of the wise Mr Micawber is the difference between happiness and misery)

Airsoft does not need to cost much money, you just need some fairly inexpensive basics and some consumables, but there are those that spend high amounts on cosmetic looks, tiny little tweaks or both.

Last night in a team chat, I was informed that “Those are expensive, dude”

1) He’s younger than me, and should have stopped saying dude last century

2) No shit Sherlock, and he doesn’t know the full expense I went to on the whole lot - but they are functional and will both contribute to ergonomics and potentially annoy ‘purists’. Money well spent to me, properly ‘crazy money’ to others 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.