Rattle-can gun camo - show me your *bold* patterns

I decided I had to do something during the half time of the world cup final, so went out and dusted the gun with brown and black, and also used a bit of sponge... It's toned the thing down and looks pretty good now I think.  I'll post some pics shortly. 

Of course I still managed to bugger up one bit of it which will grate on me for ever more 🥴

Here are a couple of pics... I did try mixing up a bit of black coffee and and sponging that on first, but that didn't really have any effect, so went for the paint instead.  The effect is 'grittier' than just toning down the contrast of the colours, but actually it does give it more of that 'just been dragged through the battlefield' look that feels appropriate, IMO.

1830094158_DEM906Cdusted1.thumb.jpg.1914667b45a16ba2161c2aa1fc3a94c1.jpg2075676973_DEM906Cdusted2.thumb.jpg.d8e54ae571485807aa1d12bab8ae26af.jpg

Not a camo pattern but still rattle can , this was just a plain black LMT , picked it up cheap so fancied some peanut butter flavour 😛

IMG_4969.thumb.jpeg.80dcf6079fc18d2423460b885fd67009.jpegIMG_4970.thumb.jpeg.c7172197f726555022b613f5aa6930d0.jpegIMG_4971.thumb.jpeg.9f6292842011a8d71dc277ebd897f75c.jpegIMG_4972.thumb.jpeg.aa7bb01eb73a2af200faa548f91f94bf.jpegIMG_4973.thumb.jpeg.f1360ae05c2069e00660feafad55d20a.jpegIMG_4974.thumb.jpeg.999d51cf57a5470267be81956382aeab.jpegIMG_4975.thumb.jpeg.702dbe93b09d30727a73989086e2be36.jpeg

my desire to set up a home Cerakote station grows stronger everyday …. More money 🤦🏼‍♂️

As I mentioned previously I've really liked the Halfords paint, and I'm very impressed with the level of finish that can be achieved, even in the hands of an unskilled user (i.e. me)

So may I commend to the house my full and unwavering support to the motion that we should take up our paint delivery devices, and make our RIFs interesting.  

Decided to paint a suppressor and my spare Eotech to match the new colour scheme on the DE.   The khaki looks a bit duller - maybe I didn't "rattle" enough?  Or maybe I just did too thin a coat.  
Ahhhh, it's good enough ;)

883144382_DEM906Cdusted3.thumb.jpg.e92f4b73e06b253310ccfa60379ca810.jpg

3 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Very nice Toruk!  I'll have to look into that hydro dripping

I was thinking about this too. You can get custom hydro dip films made too if that's your thing or can't find what you're looking for.

I've helped people hydro dipping car parts before and it needs a bit of practice before you will get it right. I'm surprised it hasn't been used more in airsoft.

Edited by MrTea

• Supporters

Somewhat late to this party but if anyone is interested in it, I have a roll of low tack masking film and some freehand masks left from my days as a custom painter that I don't need anymore. Sensible offers will secure it!

For anyone that's interested in the process it's worth looking into things like a Craft Robo cutter (if they still make them) or something similar. They're fairly cheap, link to a PC and can cut pretty much anything down to about 6pt lettering!

4 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Somewhat late to this party but if anyone is interested in it, I have a roll of low tack masking film and some freehand masks left from my days as a custom painter that I don't need anymore. Sensible offers will secure it!

What constitutes a sensible offer? ☺️

Yeah if you'd posted this a couple of weeks ago, you'd have got a sale regardless... 

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

What constitutes a sensible offer? ☺️

Yeah if you'd posted this a couple of weeks ago, you'd have got a sale regardless... 

I'm starting to get that impression! I need to dig the masks out of some drawers in the garage but there's two rolls of the film:

image.thumb.jpeg.e436b2314df80c50cb397b9790301e2c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a53f2050a3d74b1bd4d5a1b2dbbe8ab1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e5970587ed3093645effb82c35d58747.jpeg

The AeroPro stuff (with the blue squares on the backing paper) is slightly thinner and more flexible, the grey sign mask is a bit more durable. They're quite chunky so I'd have to work out postage but £10 for the AeroPro, £20 for the grey (plus post).

I'll take the AeroPro (happy to do F&F if you are), just let me know the p&p cost and ping me your paypal details :)

PS Thanks for making me feel slightly better about the mess on my desk :D 

1072640247_DeskMess.thumb.jpg.4ebe184fa04b83a89199e52e1c9bf8b3.jpg

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
47 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I'll take the AeroPro (happy to do F&F if you are), just let me know the p&p cost and ping me your paypal details :)

1072640247_DeskMess.thumb.jpg.4ebe184fa04b83a89199e52e1c9bf8b3.jpg

Cool, I'll ping you a total by DM.

Also - I've tidied my desk, it's usually worse than that!

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I wouldn't feel too good.....  I spy Roblox icons on that monitor of yours....  😜😁

41 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I wouldn't feel too good.....  I spy Roblox icons on that monitor of yours....  😜😁

There's money to be made there!   I downloaded it to take a look (and then did sod-all with it, tbf)

18 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

There's money to be made there!

Ah ok, let you off - as you were trying to develop, not play the games...😜

There is lots of money on the platform. But it's bloody hard to be 'proper' successful.

I'm actually flying out to San Francisco next week with my (18yr old) son for the Roblox Developers Conference - he is a legit Roblox Developer (Gameplay mechanics coding) working for one the main Roblox 'partner' firms.

Took him years to get to the point where he could make anything other than pocket money from it.

But he now earns nearly double my salary.....😩

Edited by Speedbird_666

I think your geometric pattern turned out really well. I've not used it personally but one of the lads at work swears by Frog tape when decorating as you wet the edge once you've applied it and it creates a better seal. That should prevent and bleeding under the tape. 

12 minutes ago, GearTech said:

I think your geometric pattern turned out really well. I've not used it personally but one of the lads at work swears by Frog tape when decorating as you wet the edge once you've applied it and it creates a better seal. That should prevent and bleeding under the tape. 

Ahhhh, is that the secret to making it work better?  To be fair it usually does make a decent edge on the flat and smooth parts, it's where it gets tricky on stippled surfaces or transitions in geometry that it sometimes fails.

Anyway, I've got the vinyl mask on the way soon, so whatever gets painted next will be done with that

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
6 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Ahhhh, is that the secret to making it work better?  To be fair it usually does make a decent edge on the flat and smooth parts, it's where it gets tricky on stippled surfaces or transitions in geometry that it sometimes fails.

Anyway, I've got the vinyl mask on the way soon, so whatever gets painted next will be done with that

I used to use fineline tape or Tamiya model tape to stope edge bleed. That said, I was using an airbrush and lower pressures than a rattle can will achieve. Frog tape is fine for decorating but for crisp lines on hard surfaces with very thing paints (like aerosols) they're too crepey and the thickness of the tape itself leaves an upstanding edge you have to sand back.

On 31/08/2023 at 11:21, RostokMcSpoons said:

Thanks for making me feel slightly better about the mess on my desk

Pah....

Compress_20230903_220442_2995.thumb.jpg.7cd2019334adc4837f5253fb2839800b.jpg

The less said about what I did to one of my monitors the other day the better...

Compress_20230903_220442_2836.thumb.jpg.7db8d390bafdebb8feab434880da494b.jpg

Edited by Dan Robinson

1 minute ago, Dan Robinson said:

Rhe less said about what I did to one of my monitors the other day the better...

Did you not read the manual for safe use?