Gas Pistol Advice

Beorn

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey folks. I'm not quite ready to get myself a pistol yet but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in the market for one soon, most likely in a few months. Before that I'm doing research as always, but wanted to get some opinions on worthwhile gbb pistols around the 100-150 mark too. I think I'd like C02 judging by the advantages that these offer. Any recommendations or warnings? I'm considering looking at second hand also, anything to keep an eye out for?

I personally like the standard glock 17 and the HK45. Wouldn't be against a tan Sig either.

Cheers!

Edited by Beorn

I'd recommend a Tokyo marui, especially the hk45, fnx45, usp or a hicapa. I've owned a fair few pistols and those I've mentioned have been very well performing and reliable. If you're after a Glock the TM Glock 17 gen 4 and the Glock 19 gen 3 and 4 have a good reputation. The thing that puts me off co2 pistols is the fact you can't top them up with gas in-between games, you have to run the co2 right down before you change the cartridge which can be a bit of a faff.

A lot of CO2 pistols can be hot as well, firing over 1.14J. My advice is get a TM. Most TM pistols will be fine, both the glock 17 and HK45 are great choices when it comes to TM, so if you like those you can't really go far wrong with either.

I’ll third almost any TM gas pistol, particularly the G17, FNX45 and HK45.

As has been said, a lot of C02 pistols are hot, and every VFC/Umarex CO2 pistol will shit itself in very short order

11 hours ago, Beorn said:

Hey folks. I'm not quite ready to get myself a pistol yet but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be in the market for one soon, most likely in a few months. Before that I'm doing research as always, but wanted to get some opinions on worthwhile gbb pistols around the 100-150 mark too. I think I'd like C02 judging by the advantages that these offer. Any recommendations or warnings? I'm considering looking at second hand also, anything to keep an eye out for?

I personally like the standard glock 17 and the HK45. Wouldn't be against a tan Sig either.

Cheers!

CO2 is pain in the ass because of the cartridge. When temperature rised enough your gun is gonna be too hot to use it. Also, it's totally dry there is 0 lubrication just keep it mind. It's gonna matter regarding your rubber seals. And CO2 pressure is a lot higher than green gas so internals are gonna be under a lot of strain. I think CO2 has it's own place which is winter when traditional gases can't cycle your pistol. If you're dead set on CO2 I'd look into ASG CZ-09/Shadow etc.

Marui makes the best gbb pistols out of the box but they come with plastic slides and you may not like that it how it feels or sounds when you rack it. And it's not manufactured for green gas but you can put a metal slide on it anytime if you wish. Plenty of aftermarket parts.

If you refer "tan SIG" as M17/M18 VFC made them and I only read bad things about it. 😕 WE made one as well but I don't know if it's any good.

Edited by Krisz

Hey thanks for the responses, this was really helpful already. I had no idea that C02 pistols tended to fire hot, thats a big no-no for me. I'd heard that changing the canisters could be annoying and was prepared to accept that but I don't ever want to have to worry about shooting over the limit that shit is whack as fuck.

I think I would like a metal pistol actually, I didn't realize the TM pistols were plastic, thats almost a bit of a shame. Will keep looking I guess, and make sure to check out the green gas pieces.

As a side note, I read that green gas is basically just propane with some silicone oil mixed into it, does this mean that it could potentially be dangerous to store?

7 hours ago, Beorn said:

Hey thanks for the responses, this was really helpful already. I had no idea that C02 pistols tended to fire hot, thats a big no-no for me. I'd heard that changing the canisters could be annoying and was prepared to accept that but I don't ever want to have to worry about shooting over the limit that shit is whack as fuck.

I think I would like a metal pistol actually, I didn't realize the TM pistols were plastic, thats almost a bit of a shame. Will keep looking I guess, and make sure to check out the green gas pieces.

As a side note, I read that green gas is basically just propane with some silicone oil mixed into it, does this mean that it could potentially be dangerous to store?

Some people treat their WE Glocks like a dog and it runs happily for them. For someone else it breaks after few games. Sadly this is airsoft reality. No QC in general.

I'd say you could look into VFC Glocks as well. Similar price range as a Marui but they come with metal slides. Or buy a TM run it on GG until the slide cracks put a metal slide on it when it happens... happy days. :D

All of them pressurised gases but as long as you don't try to open it up it's competely safe to store it.

Edited by Krisz

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Beorn said:

I don't ever want to have to worry about shooting over the limit that shit is whack as fuck.

It's very site-dependent. Some are all over it, want to see you chronoing with a fresh bulb, and will spot check you during the day - which can be a problem as temperatures rise.

Some are "Eh, pistol, mate, not bothered mate."

Most are in the middle and will just ask if it's green gas (on you go, even if you're running the hottest propane around), or CO2 (put a few shots through with whatever bulb you have in there).

9 hours ago, Beorn said:

I think I would like a metal pistol actually, I didn't realize the TM pistols were plastic

Counter-point, I wish I'd got a plastic slide Glock as my metal slide AA R17 doesn't cycle well in the cold.

9 hours ago, Beorn said:

Don't leave it on the dash in a hot car in the middle of summer, and even those horror stories are always about what happened to a mate's cousin's hairdresser's dog-walker.

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Beorn said:

Everyone wants a metal pistol until they realise how shit they are in less than perfect weather. Don't discount TM just because they're plastic.

2 hours ago, Lozart said:

Everyone wants a metal pistol until they realise how shit they are in less than perfect weather. Don't discount TM just because they're plastic.

Indeed, there were a couple of people on Saturday who's pistols de-gassed after a few shots in the cold*, whereas I mag-dumped all 25 rounds out of my TM DOR as fast I could pull the trigger, without a stutter.  Brilliant bit of kit for shooting with, but I do like the feel of all-metal, I must admit.

Edit: * it wasn't all that cold on Saturday, it might just have been coincindental... they might have run nearly empty, or had dry o-rings ... dunno guv.   But the TM is great regardless.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

3 hours ago, Lozart said:

I'll also throw my hat in on this. I love watching when people who preach how great their metal slide is try to use them in the winter. My friend wanted to have a go with my HK45 over the weekend, so we went up to the range with it and my TM p226 and squeezed off a few mags with both of them. Every single shot cycled flawlessly and the slide locked back on empty without any issues and it was pretty chilly.

So glad I asked for honest opinions here haha, in that case I won't rule out the TM HK45 even with the plastic slide, these are the types of things the airsoft 'influencers' conveniently leave out of their videos, learned some really useful things here so thanks everyone for your responses

Edited by Beorn

To summarise the TM / Plastic / Metal thing, I'd say you can't mistake a TM for a real-steel gun when it's in your hand.   But it doesn't feel cheap or flimsy either, it's solidly built.
It's an airsoft gun first, a replica second.

The HK45 has a great reputation for long range, I don't think you can go wrong with that.   Personally I've had more of a thing for 1911's so the Hi Capa D.O.R won the day for me, but pistols are a lot about personal taste.   The only other thing I'd say is that not even all TMs are created equal... the latest ones have a bigger 15mm Blow Back Unit which works better in the cold.  The HK45 is one of those (as is my DOR).  Something to check on if you go for something different from the TM range.   (A list of the upgraded pistols was on this forum, in one of my threads even, I think)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Thanks I'll have a look for that thread. Its going to be a bit of a toss up on the metal slide thing for me, if I can find a pistol that has a metal slide but that has a good rep then I might still go for it especially since the summer is coming and I'm a bit of a slut for realism. That being said, I won't turn my nose up at any of the well reviewed plastic ones either based on what people have said here

... well of course there are plenty of real-steel (har har) polymer guns these days, so you can have your realism/performance cake and eat it ;) :D

I'm not so au fait with those, and how well the TMs stack up in terms of realism though, tbh.

36 minutes ago, Beorn said:

Thanks I'll have a look for that thread. Its going to be a bit of a toss up on the metal slide thing for me, if I can find a pistol that has a metal slide but that has a good rep then I might still go for it especially since the summer is coming and I'm a bit of a slut for realism. That being said, I won't turn my nose up at any of the well reviewed plastic ones either based on what people have said here

Hands down buy a TM pistol, it will bring maximum joy and minimum ball ache.

Any of the ones youve listed are great, BUT i wouldnt go for the Hi-Capa personally - hang on Capa crowd! - yes the Hi-Capas are good historically and very upgradeable, but THE best TMs are the newer generation models with the 15mm BBU, what this means for the user is exceptional cold weather performance and a really solid 'kick' / recoil.

You can happily upgrade your TM with a quality aluminium slide in the future if you want to with no loss in performance.

1 hour ago, Beorn said:

And have a look if your replica has extended magazine option. You can spend a lot more just on pouches and low cap gas mags than buying 2 50 rounders. Also, it looks so cool when a big stick is bigger than the gun. 🤣

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.