West London newbie reporting in

Pseudotectonic

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Got interested a few months ago but have not played a game yet. Mainly interested in the game play and tech side of things. Spent many hours watching Youtube videos and researching about gear boxes etc. Now wants to get a two-tone and do a budget build before first game. Also putting together a basic kit, already got eye-pro and pair of boots. Not high on budget so is after a simple kit that works well and is fun to play and tinker with, and easy to transport.

Now I am based in west London and can only use public transport, Red 1 Chislehurst is around 1 hr 45 mins from me and seems to be a good site judging by reviews etc so I am thinking of going there to do my UKARA and do regular games afterwards.

My biggest problem now is how do I lug my stuff around on the Tube and buses easily and without drawing attention? I don't imagine a backpack will be big enough and I would rather have everything on wheels so I don't exhaust myself before even reaching the site. Are wheeled duffel bags good? Any tips and tricks? Much thanks.

Hi @Pseudotectonic

welcome to the asylum.🙂

Get yourself a padded rifle bag with lots of pockets and one that can be worn on back. You will find it fairly comfortable and can easily be slipped of and put between legs when on tube or bus and as far as anyone knows it could be holding a guitar or sports equipment.

take a look on eBay or in the classifieds on this forum.

if you want tips on gear and game play then I would advise to check out our very own @GAMBLEhe has a tube channel which will give you lots of advice on gear and gameplay.

have fun,enjoy and call your hits! 👍

regards 

Hi @Pseudotectonic 👋

Welcome to the forum, full of advice and like minded players! 🔫🤪👍

Good luck starting, smart thing to keep it simple, follow the rules and have fun! 👍

Thanks at @Shamal for the mention! 🔫😎👍

💷GAMBLE💷

Hello & welcome.

Personally I'd suggest renting for a bit, definitely use your own other kit but I've found that renting has forced me to spend time to work out what I actually want from my own RIF. It's also allowed me to check out what other people use and let's face it, airsofters love talking about their kit!

It's only 3 games and 56 days before you can sort UKARA and if nothing else it'll mean you don't have to re-spray a two-tone.

In terms of a case then anything your kit will fit in will do, obviously if it's camo then you'll be drawing attention to yourself so I'd suggest anything that's plain looking and forgettable will do just fine.

• Supporters
On 12/09/2022 at 16:05, Pseudotectonic said:

I don't imagine a backpack will be big enough

A decent sized rucksack will take a PDW, or most M4s will split in half with one pin.  However, I use a large wheeled luggage holdall. The bigger and more robust the better, as you'll find that you gear will rapidly expand to fit your transport.

Welcome to the asylum.

I'm in the same situation as you with having to use public transport. 

When I first started I used a hard plastic rifle case for the guns but quickly found it drew unwanted attention so switched to a soft rifle bag which is less obvious. Believe me it quickly gets old having pissed up wankers thinking they're funny and original saying "hur hur, what you got in there, a gun?". The rest of my kit goes into either a small rucksack or holdall, again avoiding anything that looks too miliaryish. 

On thing I've found is that relying on public transport and carrying all your shit makes you think alot more abour what you actually need, compared to what's nice but not really needed

On 13/09/2022 at 14:10, Madhouse said:

Personally I'd suggest renting for a bit, definitely use your own other kit but I've found that renting has forced me to spend time to work out what I actually want from my own RIF. It's also allowed me to check out what other people use and let's face it, airsofters love talking about their kit!

It's only 3 games and 56 days before you can sort UKARA and if nothing else it'll mean you don't have to re-spray a two-tone.

This. For example I prefer shorter guns such as carbines and smgs so as much as I like the looks of some longer rifles such as the FAL or G3, they don't suit my playing style. 

When you go to your first game ask other players about guns or gear they're using that you like the look of, as Madhouse posted, airsofters love to show off and talk about their guns and kit. Ask nicely and they'll probably let you fire off a few rounds too

A friend uses a hard, wheeled, plastic flight case designed for golf clubs.  He reckons that its gets ignored.  Plenty of room for rifs and kit.  

Red1 Chislehurst is a great site. Easy enough to slip into a fire team each game if you are going solo. 

I just rock a 35lt back pack and a gun bag. Am not waving the toys around. Be sensible and you'll be fine. The buses that time of day you'll be ok sat down so it's only on your back for a short time.

Be aware that there is no drinking water on site, so you will need to factor that in to your packing. Especially on hot days. 

There is a hot water urn with tea and terrible coffee (I take my own coffee bags....) 

Good marshals where they are still trying to grow the game range and try new things, which I like. The villages are nice and tight spaces with too many corners.

Yeah, I don't get there enough.

• Supporters

If you do crack and decide to buy something yourself, a pistol can make sense (as much as any of these expensive toys do).  Great fun if you get gas blowback, simpler to sort any two-tone, and easier to transport to and from site.  Just be sure to have a "reasonable excuse" to hand, i.e. site and booking information.

[EDIT] And I've juuuuust seen your defence thread. :D 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.