Noob in need of help!!!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, 

Hopefully getting my UKARA defence tomorrow, so wanted to get some feedback before I make my final choice for my new RIF. 😀

My current train of thought is to get a RIF that can be used as an AR or possibly changed/upgraded to a DMR at some point (if that appeals to me), hence why the ones on my shortlist have quick change springs and programmable triggers. 😊 I have considered G&G (as my local store sells them) but they don't have quick change springs, tightbore barrels, aren't very programmable and seem over priced for what you get (unless someone can change my mind). 😏

I'm not totally set on the RIF's below but my shortlist is down to:

• Specna Arms Rock River Arms SA-E03 EDGE 2.0™ Carbine AEG, Black (has a MOSFET, programmable electric trigger, 6.03mm tightbore barrel and a metal receiver)

• Evolution Airsoft Recon S EMR, ETS (or S ETS) (has a MOSFET/programmable electric trigger (according to Patrol Base), 6.01mm tightbore barrel and a metal receiver)

• Double Eagle M906*, 7* or 8* w/Falcon Fire Control System (has a MOSFET, programmable electric trigger and a metal receiver) (looking at M908A as it's got a longer barrel if I wanted to DMR it at any point 🤔)

I think I'm leaning more towards the first or second ones though as the seem to tick all the boxes. 🤔

Thanks in advance for any advice. 😎👍

Hi @Wraithspiderand welcome to the Afuk family. Full of happy,friendly folk 😉

I'm a bit biased towards the sa  e03 cause I've got one and it has served me well. Also the ares amoeba 013 is a good gun from my experience. It has a efcs and can be programmed via an external module.

if you need any help or tips then check out @GAMBLE on utube.

enjoy and call your hits 🙂

regards

Welcome! Airsoft is built on honesty so make it fun for everyone and take your hits, go home with a clear conscience 😎

Bang for buck the SA E03 or Arcturus GR16 IMO.

As for G&G I like them but you’d want an Advanced series and they cost more.

I would not advise anyone to buy Ares,  they are special in wrong ways.

I wouldn’t get to bent up on a DMR, if your assault rifle is tuned there’s not massive difference in range between them.

To make a truly worthy DMR you’d want a specific rifle that wouldn’t work  in other roles really.

2 hours ago, Davegolf said:

Welcome! Airsoft is built on honesty so make it fun for everyone and take your hits, go home with a clear conscience 😎

Bang for buck the SA E03 or Arcturus GR16 IMO.

As for G&G I like them but you’d want an Advanced series and they cost more.

I would not advise anyone to buy Ares,  they are special in wrong ways.

I wouldn’t get to bent up on a DMR, if your assault rifle is tuned there’s not massive difference in range between them.

To make a truly worthy DMR you’d want a specific rifle that wouldn’t work  in other roles really.

Do you have any idea what the battery connector is (mini-tamiya or deans)?

I've got the SA-E03 Edge (v1) and very happy with it out of the box.  Not needed any mods to improve things.  Mine only has the basic X-ASR MosFet which doesn't have any programable functions.

Read lots of good thing about the Double Eagle M906 on this forum so have good look into that one too.

(I also thing G&G are expensive for what you get)

Don't bother thinking about converting anything to DMR as there's more to it than just a stronger spring.  You'll be wanting a new pew soon enough so better to get something more suited to the role.

Its always good to have a backup on a gameday anyway...

44 minutes ago, Wraithspider said:

Do you have any idea what the battery connector is (mini-tamiya or deans)?

You want to get Deans connectors, it’s a small high performance connector that will allow you to use LiPo batteries, mini-tamiya can melt with sustained use.

Many sites rules for DMRs say the gun must have the full auto function physically disabled so a programable trigger or mosfet wouldn't be acceptable 

21 hours ago, Davegolf said:

You want to get Deans connectors, it’s a small high performance connector that will allow you to use LiPo batteries, mini-tamiya can melt with sustained use.

Sorry, just re-glued that I didn't specify 'Arcturus' when I asked about the battery connector. 😳

20 hours ago, EDcase said:

Yeah, Deans (also called T-Connectors) are the best for efficiency.

You should get a 7.4v Li-Po (or two) 1000mAh or higher. (Not Nuprol)

...and a decent charger like a SkyRC s60 or similar.  (Not Nuprol)

Haha, I'm reading between the lines here but I don't think Nuprol are very popular. 😊

10 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

Many sites rules for DMRs say the gun must have the full auto function physically disabled so a programable trigger or mosfet wouldn't be acceptable 

Oh, thought DMR's could be electronic locked or physically locked. 😳

19 hours ago, The Waco Kid said:

Good luck with the UKARA. Can be a while to actually receive it. Happy hunting when you do! 👍

Thanks, got to wait until Tuesday for the UKARA but that's not a problem. 😊

1 hour ago, Wraithspider said:

Oh, thought DMR's could be electronic locked or physically locked

It depends on the site so you're best off asking them. If they're happy with it being just electronically locked then great, but I'd find out first as you don't want to splash out on a nice new gun, only to find you can't use it

DMRs are an odd one in the UK. Limits and requirements are all over the place. Some sites only care about power limits, some sites require it to be based on a full power cartridge using rifle. They also take work to get effective. Putting a bigger spring won't just give you a long range accurate gun. It's worth looking into of course, it can be a fun playstyle, but it's one that relies on the equipment more than the typical airsoft meatshield play style. 

Tbh I'd worry about getting a regular reliable AR and think about a DMR as a second gun. With all the tinkering and upgrading you'll do it's a good idea to have a backup. 

• Supporters
14 hours ago, Wraithspider said:

Oh, thought DMR's could be electronic locked or physically locked. 😳

A lot of airsoft is trust and honour based, and some sites care more than others.  Some sites require (or say they require) you to have a MOSFET fitted that limits the rate of fire to every (e.g.) 2 seconds, but on the other hand, I've seen Marshal's Mates be nodded through with hot guns on a "keep it on semi" promise, which rather makes a mockery of chronoing at all.

DMR players regularly take the piss with rates of fire: it's easy to get carried away when a target presents itself. One of my local sites has just sacked them off completely due to it being such an abusable type of gun.

If you do go that way, it's easy to lock most V2 or V3 guns to semi just by filing off a small piece of the selector plate.  I can't access my attachments at the moment to find how-to images, but shout out if you get that far and we can show you how.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.