UPS RIF Declaration for Parts

0mega

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Does there need to be a declaration?

I got a gearbox & grip from SIXmm a few weeks ago & the only problem was customs opened the package to inspect it (understandably) and managed to replace the grip with a scented candle. I'm sure there was a VAT document with the packaging but no extra fees were paid by myself.

Edited by gavinkempsell

42 minutes ago, C-Diddy said:

That's odd. I ordered a RIF from WGC a couple of months back and it was delivered by UPS no problem.

Assuming you've got UKARA and stated it in your details when you ordered? 

Yes of course, first time I have had this myself. Ordered and received  a KWA Tavor GBBR from WGC no problem through UPS, dunno what the fuss is about.

18 minutes ago, PewPew4U said:

Yes of course, first time I have had this myself. Ordered and received  a KWA Tavor GBBR from WGC no problem through UPS, dunno what the fuss is 

I placed an order for some MWS mags a couple of days ago which are being delivered by UPS. Wonder if I'll be asked?

5 minutes ago, C-Diddy said:

@PewPew4U did the request come from UPS or WGC?

From UPS. I normally send a photo of my skirmish site membership card, which has my name, UKARA number etc to whoever I order from overseas to avoid this sort of thing...but here we are anyway lol.

Edited by PewPew4U

5 minutes ago, PewPew4U said:

From UPS

Seems really weird as several UK-based retailers use UPS. Fingers crossed you get squared away pal

Generally ….

A declaration is required for all goods entering the UK

It should be declared by the sender, but the responsibility for the declaration is the importer - and when we buy from overseas that is us

At the point of arrival they must satisfy themselves that the contents are legal, that any requirements are met (permits, licences, VCRA defence etc), taxes and duties are paid etc

There may or may not be a good enough declaration, they may or may not believe it, they may or may not pull aside random or targeted types of packages / places of origin, and they may or may not inspect contents 

If a declaration is sent out then your answers could just be ‘no’ (it’s not a gun, it’s not a RIF etc) or the odd ‘yes’ (it’s not a gun, it’s a RIF, here’s my defence)

In my latest (mostly unrelated to declarations) import that I’ve just ordered for some custom items, just after I signed off the approved designs I then received an email from someone else in the UK (that I do know) 

The UK contact invoiced me from his UK company 

In a few weeks time I’ll find out if they have done that for :

1) direct delivery to me as an overseas supplier to a UK business direct delivering to a UK customer - therefore the customs declaration will detail UK VAT paid

2) they will deliver to him and he will forward to me - an overseas suppliers trade sale to a UK business for onward sale to a UK customer 

3) they want to keep me sweet for future business avoiding me getting stung by customs and keeping me out of the loop of the point of import 

(They deliver to him, between them they deal with any issues, and he sends to me)

There is a 4th

He may be taking bulk deliveries or they meet up etc, and he deals with the UK distribution 

@PewPew4U had an email from UPS today asking me to fill in a declaration form for the mags I ordered from WGC. Hope I filled it in correctly. I wanted them for this weekend!

Any luck with your order?

For the record I just expressed that I was a private individual purchasing airsoft parts.

I did not fill in any commodity codes or anything like that.

I did put down my UKASA, which are non existent these days.

My parts were delivered the next day.

2 hours ago, Davegolf said:

For the record I just expressed that I was a private individual purchasing airsoft parts.

I did not fill in any commodity codes or anything like that.

I did put down my UKASA, which are non existent these days.

My parts were delivered the next day.

I filled in similar; airsoft RIF parts, UKARA number etc.

Checking my phone earlier this evening, I noticed a missed call and checking the number it was the same as the UPS email. I may call tomorrow to follow up.

Glad yours got sorted Dave

On 21/09/2023 at 16:17, PewPew4U said:

Just found this thread.  I was looking through to find out what this RIF form is that UPS want me to sign. Have ordered a GHK AUG and spare MAG from WGC shop, wonder how this is gonna go...

Dont use UPS, I order from WGC all the time, use the EMS shipping option

On 21/09/2023 at 20:01, PewPew4U said:

Yes of course, first time I have had this myself. Ordered and received  a KWA Tavor GBBR from WGC no problem through UPS, dunno what the fuss is about.

There's not really a fuss as such I don't think. I've filled in two of them and don't get me wrong, I'd rather not fill in a form, I'd rather not pay customs charges but it is part of the game and I didn't have a "bad service" from UPS.

I think its easier to understand the fuss if you've had to complete the form for parts only, not a RIF. If you import a RIF I imagine it would be fairly straight forward. If you just import parts, it's a bit more of a pain to get your head around. It's not that UPS are intentionally asking you for UKARA for parts, it's just not a very good form. Admittedly this was a few years ago it might have changed.

But imagine you are me and you have ordered a torch mount from evike. You'd fill in section A saying you're a private individual. In section B RIF parts fall under "RIF" so you have to complete section C. It's not a RIF, so you select "no" for that. But then when you tick "RIF parts", it asks you to complete the RIF section anyway, including the event you're using it for, your UKARA number..velocity declaration etc. Not to mention the form then asks you about RIF parts again, except this time they want you to complete a section about unrealistic, realistic imitation firearms! It is / was just a bit of crap form. I've had people PM me after seeing my post on the first page and I've had to walk them through it a bit. It's not they are stupid, the form is. I get the impression it was written by one person, perhaps in a hurry, and noone else checked it.

rif form.png

Edited by GeorgePlaysAirsoft

17 hours ago, C-Diddy said:

@PewPew4U had an email from UPS today asking me to fill in a declaration form for the mags I ordered from WGC. Hope I filled it in correctly. I wanted them for this weekend!

Any luck with your order?

Still waiting to hear back, they say it's cleared customs, but I have received 2 different emails giving 2 different delivery date/times and none of them have come through so far.
Romica and Evelyn at UPS customer service have been really nice, but still no package. Hope you get yours!

5 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Cheers, from now on I'll use EMS.

13 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

That's my plan for next time. To be fair, it's not been a massive chore, but, as @GeorgePlaysAirsoft points out, as my order was just for parts, the form makes no sense. I'm taking it as a good sign that I had an email asking me to pay the customs charge (first one from using WGC and more than £50 on a £200 order) earlier today. Hoping for delivery tomorrow or Friday.

@PewPew4U when did they say you'd get your delivery?

** Edit ** Bizarrely, as I posted this, I've just received a text thanking me for my payment and saying I can expect delivery tomorrow. Cool. 

Edited by C-Diddy
Additional info

14 hours ago, C-Diddy said:

That's my plan for next time. To be fair, it's not been a massive chore, but, as @GeorgePlaysAirsoft points out, as my order was just for parts, the form makes no sense. I'm taking it as a good sign that I had an email asking me to pay the customs charge (first one from using WGC and more than £50 on a £200 order) earlier today. Hoping for delivery tomorrow or Friday.

@PewPew4U when did they say you'd get your delivery?

** Edit ** Bizarrely, as I posted this, I've just received a text thanking me for my payment and saying I can expect delivery tomorrow. Cool. 

I have had extended correspondence with UPS customer service and have been given, as of now, 4 different 2 hour windows of delivery times to be home, and none of them have come through for me.
To be fair, the ladies at customer service have been stellar, but something seems off.  They told me "it's with the delivery company" but wait, I thought you WERE a delivery company?  So, have they been subbing work to no-name companies or something like that? Hell, I dunno.

Thanks for all the input from various folks here, I haven't figured out how to tag people to say thanks etc. As of now my RIF and parts have cleared customs and are " On the way™ "  Evelyn V at UPS CS assures me it will be here today.....
In closing, I hope you all get your stuff post-haste. I will update if I get my RIF, this is what I am building.a29d1be7cuh71.jpg

2 hours ago, PewPew4U said:

I hope you all get your stuff post-haste. I will update if I get my RIF, this is what I am building.a29d1be7cuh71.jpg

Sounds like you're having a shocker. My mags were delivered earlier this afternoon, containg a big pink sticker on the package saying AIRSOFT 🤣

• 1 month later...

So, it's been 2 months since my WGC shop order landed in the UK, I have been patient and have jumped through all UPS' hoops of "RIF paperwork" etc, which had to be sent a total of 6 times before they finally got it.. Then UPS wanted a copy of the sale invoice from me, which I provided, then they wanted a copy of the invoice from Siucut at WGC shop, then they wanted another because reasons, then they are telling me the package has gone missing, then it's found but it's in UPS' warehouse, will be here soon, NOW it's still with customs, which is "out of our hands"
I politely asked if they needed any more paperwork to which UPS staff reply "I am afraid that we do not have the visibility to confirm the necessary paper works needed." even though they knew about the paperwork before... So I'm on the "It's out of our hands" square of the Snakes and Ladders board. 
I phoned Customs, spoke to them.."It's a UPS problem, it's out of our hands"
Phoned UPS again.. "It's a Customs thing, it's out of our hands."  You get the idea. Been going back and forth for weeks.

After two investigations, one initiated from my side and one from WGC's side by UPS, I'm none the wiser as to who has my package or where it even is.
Many phone calls, some arguments with members of staff, who do their best to bullshit the shit out of me, still no idea WTF is going on.
Any suggestions guys? I'm shit out of ideas and getting a little pissed off. I'm of the opinion, at this point, that there may be a scam being run here? Every time I enquire over the phone I get a different problem from each member of staff, it's a circus. Thanks for reading my rant, if anyone has an idea, or suggestion that may help, feel free to comment, it's hopeless at the moment, so hell, it is what it is. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.