Less is more, thus shaved is more than bushed.. Warhead brushless question

Skara

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

3 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

So have you ordered a U-22000 or are you still persuing ball ache? :D

Sorry, not spending another €70 on an inferior motor.

Ball ache ftw!

6 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Inferior! 🤐 Brushed motors been around a lot longer than brushless 😂

:P

I want to *at least* try to make them work.

If I can't, I'll then focus on the ak and revert to the SHS for the M4 :)

I love brushless in my RC car, im sure theyll be common place in airsoft before long, but i dont see they are really neccersary - seeing as we only ever want our motors to go from standstill to flat out, the joy of brushless in RC is the modulation you have incredible power and torque.

9 hours ago, Davegolf said:

you have incredible power and torque

This is the part we want 😁

That and efficiency for our tiny batteries. 

11 hours ago, Skara said:

now people instead of helping are questioning that my guns can do 0.98J on a short stroked M90 setup.

Well now I'm questioning that. I know that not all springs are rated equal but that's quite the achievement. 

Edited by Badgerlicious

10 hours ago, Badgerlicious said:

Well now I'm questioning that. I know that not all springs are rated equal but that's quite the achievement. 

SHS M90 is what's in there.

Probably not a true M90, but this is the chrono reading from 5 minutes ago, on a 7.4vIMG_20220407_130925.thumb.jpg.98e01a66fc30596c3b2b7662ad444810.jpg

Which btw is too hot and needs a second tooth knocked off the sector gear.

Edited by Skara

Great.

Now one of the tabs on the AK motor just snapped.

Out of nowhere.

20 hours ago, Skara said:

Great.

Now one of the tabs on the AK motor just snapped.

Out of nowhere.

Not all hope is lost.

Mailed Warhead and they told me they can repair/replace the ESC.

I was thinking, since the short motor is going to permanently live in my AK, and since the only other modification I might make to it is HPA and I don't see myself going HPA anytime soon (too many logistical bollocks to sort), I am considering getting the motor tabs swapped out for wires, so I can have the actual connectors sitting halfway through the motor cage (will have to check if the pistol grip can handle the extra bulk), thus greatly reduce the chances of me snapping something. Shit quality graph below.

Y1hE27E.jpg

I'm also considering doing something similar on the M4 though the motor placement makes it a thunderbitch to properly design.

I can modify both the Titan and Perun Hybrid wirings to have interchangeable "motor ends" and have dedicated ends depending on what motor I want to fit.

Not that I'll be constantly swapping them every other day, that is.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Skara

• Supporters

Thats the same way the ronin is laid out isnt it?

Worth a shot although connectors might be tricky to stuff in the grip.

You could run the wires all the way to the top, my old jg was setup like that to deans straight into the mosfet. You can get away with it on an ak with the removable motor cage

Had a quick look this morning and I think I can get the connectors to sit along the gearbox, kept in position by that stupid sheet metal thingamajig. 

Tonight I *might* try to disassemble the end bell and see how it's made.

If I feel confident enough I'll try and wire it myself, if it's an absolute mess I'll just order a new ESC with wires installed.

As for the other motor, I think I'll leave it as it is.

I'm definitely gonna fry something, so yeah, I'll just send the motor back to have it fixed.

I need 20cm long wires. Lmao. It's also gonna be dummy expensive.

So I sent the motor back, hopefully my dank postal service won't fuck up and send the motor to Uganda or something.

Anyway, they will replace the ESC with their wired one and it's only gonna be 3/4 centimetres of wires, don't even have to rewire my mosfet.

Still dummy expensive because at this point I think I should have bought a Ronin in the first place lol.

5 hours ago, Skara said:

So I sent the motor back, hopefully my dank postal service won't fuck up and send the motor to Uganda or something.

Anyway, they will replace the ESC with their wired one and it's only gonna be 3/4 centimetres of wires, don't even have to rewire my mosfet.

Still dummy expensive because at this point I think I should have bought a Ronin in the first place lol.

How much is the replacement going to cost? If it's a bit less than a ronin I'd call that a win. 

24 minutes ago, Badgerlicious said:

How much is the replacement going to cost? If it's a bit less than a ronin I'd call that a win. 

Absolutely no clue, I guess we'll find out whenever they receive the motor.

• 1 month later...

Over a month later and a few emails the repaired motor seems to be on its way back to me.

Will take at least another week or two because national postal service.

Hopefully I can fucking use my AK for the 4th time in two years!

2 minutes ago, Bolloksitsmeee said:

How much did the repair set you back out of curiosity?

At the moment, just the postage to send them the motor (€14,something)

• Supporters

Hmm, I seem to be seeing a lot[1] of folk reporting "Warhead crapped out, but Ben@KO-Technologies is very sympathetic."

A bit like how Acetech were OK about replacing my Lighter-S, but now the replacement is in bits on my Workbench of Perpetual Prevarication awaiting complete resoldering.

At Warhead prices I'd be hoping for better results than being a beta tester, no matter how good the support.

But such is airsoft, and being at the bleeding edge[2] of the performance envelope.

[1] Two? Three?

[2] i.e. about a decade behind RC.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Hmm, I seem to be seeing a lot[1] of folk reporting "Warhead crapped out, but Ben@KO-Technologies is very sympathetic."

the tabs on them are very weak, even knowing they're weak it's still difficult to get the wiring etc fitted and grips installed without exerting enough force to break them.

guess it's a design flaw that doesn't seem as big a deal on paper as it does in reality.

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

[2] i.e. about a decade behind RC.

gotta be more than that? brushless was well established in rc even before i started pewing.

On 18/05/2022 at 15:59, Adolf Hamster said:

the tabs on them are very weak, even knowing they're weak it's still difficult to get the wiring etc fitted and grips installed without exerting enough force to break them.

It's exactly why mine died, and it's why I'm worried about the other motor (in my M4) because whenever I disassemble the thing to do repairs and fine tuning it's nerve wrecking to remove and plug the motor. I'm so tempted to just buy a wired ESC and swap it myself on this one.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Skara said:

It's exactly why mine died, and it's why I'm worried about the other motor (in my M4) because whenever I disassemble the thing to do repairs and fine tuning it's nerve wrecking to remove and plug the motor. I'm so tempted to just buy a wired ESC and swap it myself on this one.

yep, same here.

can't even contemplate trying to get it plugged in without breaking on an m4.......

Got this in the mail today:

Not exactly a top notch repair, but so far nobody charged me for anything so I guess it's a win :P

jVNeIRU.jpg

On 02/04/2022 at 11:25, Skara said:

So I got to quickly test them and.....

I'm disappointed.

The AK now does 23 RPS on a 7.4v battery (it did 20 with the stock motor) but somehow the power has dropped to 0.3J whereas before it was doing 0.99...

The M4, does 20 RPS with the warhead and last time I checked it was doing 22 with the SHS.

If I plug a 11.1v in it does 30 but then the power dramatically drops because the nozzle can't keep up (this I knew already).

I'm pissed, to say the least, because they're not cheap.

Both motors are marked "M", does it stand for high speed (36k) or did I receive two standard speed ones?

You have just completely described the issue I am having with my arp9 since upgrading to my warhead base 27k my fps has dropped by around 40fps I tried sanding down my delayer chip no luck it's been driving me mad  

2 minutes ago, steverebo said:

You have just completely described the issue I am having with my arp9 since upgrading to my warhead base 27k my fps has dropped by around 40fps I tried sanding down my delayer chip no luck it's been driving me mad  

I have come to the conclusion that it's a timing issue:

The gun cycles so fast in semi compared to a regular brushed motor that the gearbox just can't keep up.

I fixed the issue on my M4 by yeeting the delayer and shaving down maybe two millimetres off the tappet plate fin, I got lucky because the gun still feeds fine on both flash mags and midcaps.

My ak wasn't so lucky, I have installed a "high speed" delayer chip with the bulge on the left side (so the bulge picks up the tappet plate earlier and it releases just a smidge past the tappet plate cam) to no avail, even after a rather daft cut of the fin (3/4mm) I still have massive power drops.

Without the speshul delayer the gun feeds fine (at full power) on midcaps but doesn't feed at all on my Cyma flash mags.

I might try to fix it tonight or on Thursday (day off due to national holiday).

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.