Cmf-16k gear box won’t come out of shell

Airsoftjohn

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I had just recently purchases G@G’s Cmf-16k combat machine and was thinking of putting some upgrades on it and making it my high fps main. I was trying to take the spring out the fast way by taking off the stock but I noticed it had no option for that. I proceeded to try to take the gearbox out of the shell when I noticed that one of the ambidextrous controls, specifically the bolt catch release, was stopping me from taking it out. I tried taking the pin out of one side and pulling the other side but the arm connecting  them both curved under the gearbox. Any help???

7 hours ago, Airsoftjohn said:

I had just recently purchases G@G’s Cmf-16k combat machine and was thinking of putting some upgrades on it and making it my high fps main. I was trying to take the spring out the fast way by taking off the stock but I noticed it had no option for that. I proceeded to try to take the gearbox out of the shell when I noticed that one of the ambidextrous controls, specifically the bolt catch release, was stopping me from taking it out. I tried taking the pin out of one side and pulling the other side but the arm connecting  them both curved under the gearbox. Any help???

Being mean sprited the fact you can't figure that out doesn't bode well for doing up grades. Unless you have a spare gun don't. This is advice from someone who has sold a lot of gearboxs in bits and just bought new guns and left them alone.

Yeah, as a man with 4 guns not working properly (after 'upgrades' and 'fixes'), and a couple of working guns (either completely or mostly left unmolested), I can agree with leaving it alone.

Especially as G&Gs are quite known for being reliable.  Keep that as your safe fall-back, and go buy a second hand gun for your project.

Teching is fun, but can be hard.  There's no guarantee you'll have the gun back in a good state in time for your next skirmish.   It's  a bit sad when you have to leave a gun at home and rent one

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
8 hours ago, EDcase said:

Have you checked YouTube for disassembly videos?

I can't see anything specific for the CMF-16s.  They do seem to have a lot of controls to get in the way of disassembly.

It went together, it'll come apart.  Any chance of a video showing the problem?  You can often find a solution to a problem while explaining it.

the ambi bolt catch often has to come out if the shell with the gear box, i know mine does. make sure you have everything else off and out, including pin on the side paddle and the bolt release on the cover side the lift the gearbox up and out and the paddle should lift with it.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

You can often find a solution to a problem while explaining it.

Very true, in my IT job we consider that to be the 'Cardboard Man Pair Programming' approach :)

Given the context, explain it to this chap:

image.png.907c7ab4e80ee8c4144e5ea371bf651f.png

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Very true, in my IT job we consider that to be the 'Cardboard Man Pair Programming' approach :)

Before you explain it to me, first explain it to ducky.

Rubber_duck_assisting_with_debugging.jpg

40 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Had to look that up haha, never heard that phrase before after 25 years in IT and super average at programming 

Roger's showing off his modern technology.   He's got a rubber duck as a Pair Programming companion AND he writes in a language which uses curly brackets!
What about you?

(sorry for the off-topicness)

17 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Roger's showing off his modern technology.   He's got a rubber duck as a Pair Programming companion AND he writes in a language which uses curly brackets!
What about you?

(sorry for the off-topicness)

I left the dizzy-heights of programming or "development" to work in Infrastructure, mostly Linux, VMware and Storage but heck I'll do anything 

Infrastructure?  Isn't that clicking buttons on an Azure dashboard, these days? ;)

I code in BASIC. 

And I'm not talking about that new-fangled Visual Basic malarkey either... 

18 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Infrastructure?  Isn't that clicking buttons on an Azure dashboard, these days? ;)

Yeah for sure.  Used to love working with on-prem server rooms, untangling network cables, diving under floors etc.  Now big business have muscled in.  Last couple of places I've worked at were secure environments so still got to work with hardware now and then.  Miss it a little, not really done much IT in the past 2 years, need to get myself back in the game.  Spoke to a few recruitment agencies and as usual they all want to know if you've got the latest certification etc etc, it's just exhausting keeping everything up to date.

• Supporters

The thing is, just between us girls [looks around] businesses that have switched from dedicated servers to internal cloud / on-demand services are now fretting over the costs, and constantly exhorting and inveigling their own staff to use less resources. Smaller binaries, they cry, less CPU, less bandwith, our docker images are out of hand, heavy users are being monitored.

Cloudy may or may not be cheaper than having dedicated cable-monkeys and hardware, but it can all be costed now, and the bean-counters want to haggle over every nibble.

You're absolutely correct.  4 years ago whilst working for a government agency I was tasked with pricing up just a single system, secure government approved cloud vs on-prem Dell VMWare solution, the cost over 4 years for the cloud service was something like 7-8 times more expensive at that point.  The beauty of something like VMware within an on-prem cluster is you can use all your old out of warranty hardware 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.