Ni-mh - Lipo

Shootin Aces

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all! 

I've not long purchased a Specna Arms SA-C19 Core, and have been upgrading it externally so far, I'm looking to change the crane stock to a ctr stock however this means changing the battery I use from a 9.6 Ni-Mh to a Lipo, however I'm a bit skeptical on changing the battery and if it is safe for the gun to run a lipo without damaging it, what would be the best suggestion?

Thanks for reading, stay safe 

Running a 7.4v Li-Po is fine in an AEG.

Look for the highest mAh that will fit.  (this indicates how long it will last in a game)  1400 to 1600 should last a whole day with a mix of semi and auto use.

Its also advisable to change the plugs to Deans (also known as T-connectors)

They're small and make good solid connections.

Edited by EDcase

9 hours ago, EDcase said:

Running a 7.4v Li-Po is fine in an AEG.

Look for the highest mAh that will fit.  (this indicates how long it will last in a game)  1400 to 1600 should last a whole day with a mix of semi and auto use.

Its also advisable to change the plugs to Deans (also known as T-connectors)

They're small and make good solid connections.

Thanks for the reply mate 

This is already wired to Deans so that's a bonus, I'll run it off a 7.4 and see how it performs with a few test shots

Thanks again mate 

I always recommend 2 LiPos, so you can switch at lunchtime. Over-discharging can fatally damage them.

If you are running the Core on the stock motor, you might not get the best performance with a 7.4v LiPo. I would add an SHS Hi-Torque Motor (or equivalent) to the 'must upgrade' list to give you a nicer trigger response and more reasonable ROF (14-15 RPS) on a 7.4v LiPo - that's the setup I typically use on my guns with 'stock' internals.

• Supporters
On 30/06/2021 at 15:12, EDcase said:

Oh and you'll need a good intelligent charger.

Search forum for discussion

I was going to spoiler it and say SkyRC S65, but it looks like prices on them have just jumped up significantly.  Even the basic SkyRC e450 is over £30 now.  I hesitate to suggest the older technology iMax B6 models, but can we find the better ones for less?

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I was going to spoiler it and say SkyRC S65, but it looks like prices on them have just jumped up significantly.  Even the basic SkyRC e450 is over £30 now.  I hesitate to suggest the older technology iMax B6 models, but can we find the better ones for less?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/accuell-s60-ac-charger-uk-plug.html?wrh_pdp=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_gb_shopping&countrycode=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQjw24qHBhCnARIsAPbdtlLl-CE4uNqggF55uvqaeXGHKdZHn2BVdzEHcyXS0T7celUyX3Cb5psaAs_9EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&___store=en_us

Basically the same ting in a different box. I have one and it works well.

4 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Still £32 and in stock on HobbyRC:

https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/skyrc-s65-65w-6a-ac-balance-charger

• Supporters
37 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Still £32 and in stock on HobbyRC:

https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/skyrc-s65-65w-6a-ac-balance-charger

and modelsport:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/skyrc-s65-ac-charger-65w-438918

You can run 11.1s on stock trigger contacts too. It takes an awful lot of time to wear/burn the trigger blades, by the time they need replacing you'll most likely have dumped the gun or upgraded to a mosfet of some sort.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Skara said:

You can run 11.1s on stock trigger contacts too. It takes an awful lot of time to wear/burn the trigger blades, by the time they need replacing you'll most likely have dumped the gun or upgraded to a mosfet of some sort.

iirc think was about 6 months to burn out the f2000 primary contacts.

but yes short term you can get away with, especially for a standard platform where new contacts can be easily got.

however you need to pay very careful attention to not over-draining the batteries as that'll kill them, same applies for basic mosfets that don't have a cutoff. a lipo checker is your freind.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

however you need to pay very careful attention to not over-draining the batteries as that'll kill them

I hear this a lot, but I've got fat stacks of lipo batteries that have been drained flat, like <1V per cell, and recovered by giving them a quick boost by wiring them in parallel with a good cell, then knocking them up again by charging as lead-acid, then finally switched to lipo balance.

The laptop I'm writing this on had its battery pack discharge to 1.2V, and that's an 11.1V pack with 3x3 18650 cells, so 0.4V per cell.  I gave each 1x3 bank a blast, then 2x3, then finally across all 3x3. If you can read this, then it didn't explode and it still holds a decent charge.

I do accept that it's bad for them, I'd avoid it possible, and I might just have been (consistently) lucky.

4 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I hear this a lot, but I've got fat stacks of lipo batteries that have been drained flat, like <1V per cell, and recovered by giving them a quick boost by wiring them in parallel with a good cell, then knocking them up again by charging as lead-acid, then finally switched to lipo balance.

The laptop I'm writing this on had its battery pack discharge to 1.2V, and that's an 11.1V pack with 3x3 18650 cells, so 0.4V per cell.  I gave each 1x3 bank a blast, then 2x3, then finally across all 3x3. If you can read this, then it didn't explode and it still holds a decent charge.

I do accept that it's bad for them, I'd avoid it possible, and I might just have been (consistently) lucky.

I've done similar with dead lipos by putting them on a nicad setting for few mins.

Always stay with batt though and be ready to disconnect.

But never had a problem.

Regards 

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Whilst i accept its possible to do this, its one of those things that should be done on ones own volition whilst fully aware of the risks involved.

I'm well aware lipo's are tougher than their internet rep would make them out to be, however its a case that dumb stuff we're happy to do ourselves we wouldnt always reccommend others do. For example in the case of reviving dead lipo's i'd ask if the £20 for a new battery is worth risking burning your house down.

For science, sometimes, it's worth sacrificing a building and all its occupants.

11 minutes ago, Skara said:

For science, sometimes, it's worth sacrificing a building and all its occupants.

Or even a country. Now which one to start with lol

Nagasaki has been done and hiroshima. 

Maybe something nearer. 😉

I know they are not countries but you get the idea. 🙂

Edited by Shamal
Addition

• Supporters
22 minutes ago, Skara said:

Yeah but if we doin that can we not do something cooler than a lipo fire?

57 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Yeah but if we doin that can we not do something cooler than a lipo fire?

Gas? 

Nah that's been done. In the name of science of course 😉

• Supporters
13 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

For example in the case of reviving dead lipo's i'd ask if the £20 for a new battery is worth risking burning your house down.

Done in an explosion containment pie dish, low current, cells being touched and tested for heat, back door open, and ready to hurl the whole lot out there so it'll burn down my neighbour's house.  Serves him right for building up to the property line.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.