Gun Maintenance Mats

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I’m looking to source a decent mag to rest my pewpews on when fiddling/cleaning etc. I have seen the generic neoprene ones on eBay & Amazon and was sure I had seen a more substantial rubber one somewhere that had recessed areas to sit bolts & pins etc to stop them rolling away and getting lost.

All I can see on Amazon is this thing below, but really after something similar for an AR or Scar sized rif.

Anyone seen these anywhere or what do you use?

CE9C3AF3-213F-4E04-A94F-638C4CF1373C.thumb.png.5f2f58cec1ed8b385190aa4c1f97ed9a.png

Edited by Enid_Puceflange

Not SCAR sized, but fairly big - I use one of these:

image.png.a5fa304e83d716bcbc82af8484500772.png

It's ribbed for greater...umm...screw retention?

Can't find exact measurements but this youtube vid will give you a sense of scale. You could put a couple mats together side by side if you need more...umm...girth?

Good suggestions lads, certainly better than what I had found & way neater than the old leather desk protector that I currently use 🤦🏻‍♂️

7CB74362-0727-49F6-B849-FD12B44BCAA6.thumb.jpeg.8c48bca309064617a7bab7d2414329fd.jpeg

Edited by Enid_Puceflange

• Supporters

I use a bog standard rubberised A2 matt and a couple of small magnetic trays to hold all the bits’n’bobs in .

1 hour ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Good suggestions lads, certainly better than what I had found & way neater than the old leather desk protector that I currently use 🤦🏻‍♂️

7CB74362-0727-49F6-B849-FD12B44BCAA6.thumb.jpeg.8c48bca309064617a7bab7d2414329fd.jpeg

If you didn’t take this picture on a Friday then you’re messing with my OCD 🤪

I’m with Hamster and just use the roll up, mouse mat style mat. A nice AR-15 exploded view, just because it looks good. I’m also on board with the GU dishes and a willingness to scoff as many as necessary 😉

I don’t think this is recessed, but the Dye Dam is rifle sized with a tech mat to suit:

https://moderncombatsports.co.uk/products/dye-tech-mat-paintball-mat

Other gun styles are available in tech mats:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=TekMat&ref=bl_dp_s_mw_4230495031

I have an eclipse mat which I think is the one @Speedbird_666linked, It’s quite sizeable but I’m a paintballer and it’s smaller than rifle sizes.

However as I bought this one under lockdown it’s been used for a complete rebuild one 90s paintball pistol and for some arduino gadget construction.

I have a good sized roll of some decent rubber mat that I’ve used for gun works - but most often the surface I use is just the most convenient place with some allowance for minimising flying springs and laying out nuts and bolts near to where they came out 

1 minute ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Look at the socks...

These might blow @Super64away...

5E70C001-C223-4B98-91A5-8F0683DC1405.jpeg

I think Ballistic Designs do a mat with sections to trap small parts etc

I reckon an extra large, thick gaming mat that costs no more than £15 should do the trick. Might get one to test it out.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cimetech-Comfortable-Extended-Waterproof-800x300x5mm/dp/B08BFC8GVY/

Edited by shadowfacex

Damn, that Exalt mat is nice. Where’d you get it?
I just use an old, thin towel to put the gun on and a takeaway tub for the bits - clearly need to up my game! 

2 hours ago, The Lord Tea said:

Damn, that Exalt mat is nice. Where’d you get it?
I just use an old, thin towel to put the gun on and a takeaway tub for the bits - clearly need to up my game! 

I thought that I had got it recently under lockdowns, (bear in mind that I also thought it was the Eclipse so my memory might be flawed)  but it doesn’t seem to be on any of my shopping orders.

I did get a lot of gear directly from Exalt a while back when they used one of my photos 

Super5ives and BZ are listing them in various colours

https://shop.super5ives.com/shop/search?q=Exalt+tech+mat

https://www.bzpaintball.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Exalt+mat

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.