Missing Innovation?

PopRocket123

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm just happy to have gbbs that don't crap out in the cold. I would like to see a gas in gun gbbr with cut of on empty ,aug would be nice. The only reason I run an AR is for the tm recoil functionality and reliable cold weather performance. 

7 hours ago, Sitting Duck said:

I can only see them going in maybe a DMR you want to quieten down a fraction

I think you are misunderstanding what you can do with gear cutting. The ratio isn't the issue.

You could make a 13:1 DHG set just as easy as a 22:1 - The final ratio would look crazy on paper but as it's the circumference of the gear that counts not the number of teeth it would not matter. More teeth is just better for power transmission and keeping noise down. Those big ratio SHG sets are taking advantage of the shallow hobbing that is possible with SHG allowing the circumference of the gears to be pushed outside of the possibilities of standard hobbing. This isn't what I want, I want standard ratio's with standard circumferences done with a better hobbing method.

52 minutes ago, heroshark said:

I'm just happy to have gbbs that don't crap out in the cold. I would like to see a gas in gun gbbr with cut of on empty ,aug would be nice.

GHK AUG with CO2 should do the trick.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Some sites don’t allow Co2 

This isn't really an innovation, but personally I'd like to see more sites blur the lines between woodland and CQB, and to take advantage (and in some cases, I really do mean take advantage) of local planning considerations which allow for the erection of temporary structures (think shipping container villages, plywood killhouses) outdoors, without worrying about relatively primo real estate. I think this is magnitudes more achievable and more beneficial then any other gizmos. I'd like to see more sites do "community outreach" via laser tag or  "soft-airsoft" or what have you to help nurture the younger generation - today's lasertag birthday boy is tomorrow's balls to the walls airsofter.

edit: this may be controversial but I think heavy bb's are increasing in popularity, and high rof builds aren't going anywhere unless sites start banning them via ROF testing alongside chrono. I wonder if we just embrace both - imagine semi auto being replaced with an ultra-fast 5 round burst? Mags could be capped at 150 bbs for the sake of "realism" and off we go. Overkill is a legitimate consideration, but if we are talking about the future, it is still a social construct after all and attitudes vary, and of course change. my 2p. 

• Supporters

Given what folk do in "semi only" environments i dont think encouraging high rof is a good idea.

Yes it has some application but it tends to be mostly used for the purposes of "punishing the cheetarz" which isnt what we should be encouraging.

Tbh if we're gonna be encouraging a culture of any kind it should be the simplest fundamentals of good honest play.

It's unfortunate that it'd be deemed an innovation, but at this point the thing I'd like to see more than anything is significantly improved quality control. Reviews of RIF feel almost entirely moot to me at this point due to the general lack of consistency when it comes to QC. While aware we'd pay for the privilege it's a cost I'd be more than happy to pay if the product at the end of it is improved.

6 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Reason I say gas in gun for cheaper lighter mags with better capacity and less maintenance.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Iceni said:

I think you are misunderstanding what you can do with gear cutting. The ratio isn't the issue.

You could make a 13:1 DHG set just as easy as a 22:1 - The final ratio would look crazy on paper but as it's the circumference of the gear that counts not the number of teeth it would not matter. More teeth is just better for power transmission and keeping noise down. Those big ratio SHG sets are taking advantage of the shallow hobbing that is possible with SHG allowing the circumference of the gears to be pushed outside of the possibilities of standard hobbing. This isn't what I want, I want standard ratio's with standard circumferences done with a better hobbing method.

As said it was to do with the noise reduction putting these in a DMR

The ratio is about the same as std or just a smidge more

eg: 18:1 to say 22:1 - they are certainly not 32:1's like some people have claimed

So we are looking at "roughly" say 20:1 ratio on the helical sets

so the ratio would not appeal to me for a std AEG or a mild snappy one

sure I could use a High Speed Motor, but the amp draw would increase blah blah blah etc...

So with the 200 or 300 option being 18:1 or say 22:1 I can see me personally using it to pull a heavier spring

and listed a DMR example, not just for ratio but to utilise the smoother gear meshing to hopefully reduce noise

(which could be of benefit to not drawn attention to your actual position very quickly from shrilly gears

- though very little as pinion/bevel is still straight cut, but as Tesco says: Every little Helps)

Now on a DMR with say 22:1 - I'd probably aim for some precock of 75% upwards

but the precock is not important in "shrill" terms, as the gun still cycles 1 complete revolution

(just where the thing actually stops dictated by the pre-cock or end of cycle position)

So for each shot the gears would cycle a full revolution

so you might want that full revolution to be as smooth or quiet/non-shrilly as possible

Yes you could say or use these gears in any AEG, perhaps not such a huge benefit in a CQB build

but then if stealth is req then gas pistol or knife is maybe the preferred option or consideration

TL-DR, main point of helical gears is smoother meshing or transfer of power/energy

so in light of this, I personally can only see 18:1 or 22:1 sets going in a DMR perhaps ???

Yes the gear ratio is a factor, for fully compressing a m130

(not partially compressing a m120/130 like in SS setup)

But mostly due to slightly quieter/smoother meshing which can be of use in a sneaky DMR maybe

if they did Higher Speed Helical gears, then yeah I'd dive them a go for sure in a snappy build

even though as said, they have the bespoke bevel so screwed for a quick replacement if bevel busts

The ratio & the calculation method of counting the number of turns the bevel to 1 rotation of sector

is a rough ball park figure to establish the ratio of a std gear set

which imho should include the 200 & 300:1 sets

(dunno about a 4 gear set, but perhaps it might also apply)

The bevel gear meshing to pinion is still cut straight

so it still applies that the bevel ratio to pinion is the same as a straight set

then the bevel rotates say 6.25 turns to one revolution on the sector

multiply by 3 to arrive at say 18.65:1 ratio

So this method of bevel to sector rotations

can be easily used to quickly identify if you have a 18:1 set or a 16:1

(most 16's are 17.25:1 but VFC spurs produce a 16.5:1 ratio somehow)

& if you have a 12:1 or 13:1 set

(of course if the gears are stamped - then that is a good indication too)

but the method does work imho & I can't see this not applying to the helical set

as the gears are all cycling together the same way as a reg straight set

and on the sector the teeth do not protrude like on a 32:1 sector

SHS 32:1 HIGH TORQUE GEAR SET AIRSOFT AEG MECH BOX: Amazon.co.uk: Sports &  Outdoors

where the sector gear has very large protruding 30 teeth meshing with the spur/step gear

on the 32:1 set the spur has 11 inner teeth

on the 18:1 set the spur has 20 inner teeth

on most 16:1 sets the spur still has 20 inner teeth

but less teeth on the outer edge compared to 18:1 spur's

The 200 or 300 set seem to have say 45 outer teeth

the 18:1 set has around 39 outer teeth on spur & 20 inner teeth

the 16:1 set has around 35 outer teeth on spur & mostly 20 inner teeth

(why 18 & 16's use the same type sector gears & SHS DSG's can be used with either) 

So a 16:1 spur has "spikey" teeth at the edge, but actually a couple less

but 16:1 VFC's have 21 teeth on some of their odd spring loaded 16:1 spurs

(and probably why you seem get a slightly faster 16:1 ratio on VFC's)

image.jpeg.8d1047ac8c7daa264e27cb21ac011fb8.jpeg

(weird gear sets and sprung loaded crap is not that wise over shimming to exact position imho)

another TL-DR - point being the ratio change is "mostly" dictated or altered

depending on the spur/step gear actual gear teeth

(and of course the sector being machined to match)

some of these minor differences are hard to spot at first glance

and if people wish to count teeth and work out the maths - that's fine

but the bevel to sector ratio thingy does tend to work quite well as a quick easy way to work out

or confirm the actual ratio of a gear set - eg: 18 or 16:1 or 13 or 12:1

and as far as I can tell I can see no real reason why the same method can't be applied to helical sets 

Now I do have a set of 200 & 300's somewhere in a box and I'm positive when I tested them

using the bevel/sector method I arrived at say 22:1 and maybe a bit more/less

(perhaps near 18 or maybe 24:1 - but certainly nowhere near 32:1 ratio some claim they equate to)

if anybody has a 200 or 300 set to hand then please confirm the bevel/sector turn ratio

I can't be arsed to go looking through boxes, it looks like there is say 45 & 21 teeth on a helical spur gear

compared to say 39 & 11 teeth on a 32:1 spur gear

so no I don't think the helical's are anything like a 32:1 set

but 22:1 give or take a bit depending on 200 or 300 set

Ultimate TL-DR - would be a fucking lot easier if they stopped this 200 or 300 bollox

and just went with the normal ratio crap stating the sets as 22:1 instead

• Supporters
4 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

On what grounds?

Because it sounds scary

And we all know that all co2 powered airsoft guns are hot af and no green gas gun is capable of firing above 0.8j.

Bet they dont even pull the suppressors off m23's to check for extensions......

• Supporters
7 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

On what grounds?

Black ops in Bristol don’t allow it at either of there sites , can’t remember exact reason but they did have one .

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.