Which Pistol?

RonLancs
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

17 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

ASG Shadow - Japs use this for pistol comps out the box, I have one and easily the best trigger, very accurate, non tiliting barrel.

Full metal and feels amazing to drive IMO.

Downsides are holsters tricky and the finish wears easily - I'm just going to cerakote mine when I feel like it.

£110 ish 👍

Where are they that price? Interested in one myself.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Davegolf said:

Why no Hi-Capa? Great gun but it's quite old school internally and needs some upgrading to get the best out of it, parts compatibility can be a mare - i.e. If you don't know what your dong you could easily de-tune it lol!

Dont get me wrong - great gun.

Glad to see someone else say this. I was a Capa user for years and I find my USP compact and hk45 tac way more efficient and effective in the extreme cold. 

@heroshark yeh the Hi-Capas can be incredible, but you'll easily dump a couple hundred to get there. The newer TM stuff is dialled OOTB these days.

Horses for courses I suppose, when the Hi-Capa was realeased compared to all others GBBs it was the don, but everything has moved on tech and tolerance wise.

That and the G series falls into the same category; old - can be great - most upgrade parts available.

But new guns don't need all that tinkering so much.

7 hours ago, LoneTactix said:

Just going to recommend a recent purchase, the WE 1911 MEU. Weapon £100. Mags £15 a pop for a 15 rounder so I got 3 extra mags (4 in total)

Pros: Looks good, shoots well, powerful.

Cons: low cap mags.

The MEU is my one of the best looking pistols you can get IMO, especially without the under rail - trade off ofc is that you cant really attach anything.

I've had two of the WE MEUs (first one go stolen 😒), and have been fairly happy with them, i found in colder weather green gas can have some trouble running the heavy metal slide - I recommend using it with guarder power up for cold weather.

Couple times a year you may wish to strip down the slide and check the oil on the piston head seal otherwise you may start to run into slide malfunctions (this happened to both of mine after a while). I Installed a crazy jet barrel and maple leaf rubber, and have it shooting a couple inch group at CQB distances: 10-15 metres. 

It is the heaviest pistol I own though - not certain of the spec but feels to me like its almost a kilo - perhaps an important consideration if you are already slugging around a hefty primary and rig.

6 hours ago, heroshark said:

The USP compact also a fantastic shooter though. So snappy with the lighter slide. 

So i've had possibly 4 USP Compacts, first one was actually my first ever pistol.. I think it was a pre System7 KSC back in the mid 2000s and i bought it solely because it was Jack Bauer's carry gun in 24 from Season 3 onwards, but it wasn't very good.. poor gas efficiency, power and accuracy. 

I also had the Umarex with the threaded barrel and the raised sites for use with a suppressor.. it just looked a bit derpy though, never skirmished with it and can't really remember if it was any good.

I quite like the KWA i have now though; accuracy and gas efficiency seem good, I would like to put a crazy jet and ML rubber in but am not exactly sure about compatibility at the moment. One thing is the Action feels a bit gritty when firing; actually the paint finish seems really poor and thickly layered on, so at some point I intend to de-surface and polish the slides grooves; I imagine once this is done it should perform fantastically; especially if I can settle on the correct barrel and rubber.

One more thing about the USP compacts is that they do eventually seem to suffer from the notorious break in the trigger; I recently got hold of a bag of replacements, I think I have three lowers which I would like to get working again when I have the time!

I'm on about the tm version. Not much experience of the others but once I put one back together out of a bag of parts I'd never seen. Quite the puzzle, not sure if it was a KSC or kwa. 

I've been quite impressed with the WE M&P I bought late last year. The pistol itself cost £90, extra mags were about £20 each.

It feels great in the hand, extremely comfortable and comes with different size backstraps for the grip so you can adjust it to better fit your hands - I have quite small hands so the smallest backstrap suits me best. The slide action is smooth and it has decent recoil; gas efficiency seems about average (can get about a couple of magazines worth of shots out of one fill depending on ambient temperature etc).

Accuracy OOTB was ok, but can be improved with some tape as described in this video. I've since also upgraded it with some barrel + hop upgrades, but these aren't really necessary as far as skirmishing is concerned (I just like upgrading/fine-tuning my gear).

It also has glow in the dark sights, but they're just a gimmick & the glow doesn't last long enough to be useful; I ended up pulling the GITD paint out of the indents and repainting them with some white paint.

problem with threads like these is the OP will ask the question, get loads of suggestions and then go buy something completely different.

But sine we are in lockdown and I have time to spare here's a few suggestions.

Tm Desert Eage, stupidly big and heavy and finding a holster isn't fun but what a great pistol to use.

WE Makarov - I really don't like WE pistols. the hype they get is misplaced in my opinion (i've owned a few and they are all crap) apart from the Makarov and on the plus side it's metal

TM Detonics - Silly little pistol with great blowback

VFC/Hogwarts G42 - Ever smaller little pistol and feels like a water pistol when you use it but runs like a train.

TM HK45 - reasons already mentioned in this thread

TM Glock 19 - out the box does what it says on the tin.

TM Hicapa - runs great out the box but within 5 minutes of owning one you will be wanting to add alloys, LED lights and go faster stripes as it's the boy racer car of the airsoft world (hands up who owns a stock Hicapa?)

If you want something completely different then have a look at the Action Army Ruger Mk4 pistol. No one knows if it's good or bad, if it's gas efficient or if it will fall to bits in 5 minutes but it looks cool which is a big part of being into airsoft.

Used to love my Detonics. Good pistol tbf but on a similar vein the tm v10 is nice. Has all the updated tm tweaks and 15mm bbu. 

I think I’m pulled more towards the TM P226 - just because I think it looks sexy but again I want metal and there’s nothing that can change that - is the SSP1 really that much of a bad option or are people just hating on it for what it is? A branded KJW 

metal, green gas, 200£ budget with holster and mags all in - that’s what I’m after but as someone said previously what a community. I’ve read most of the responses and I’m honestly grateful for everyone’s input and I wouldn’t ask if I really wasn’t stuck! 

2 hours ago, heroshark said:

I'm on about the tm version. Not much experience of the others but once I put one back together out of a bag of parts I'd never seen. Quite the puzzle, not sure if it was a KSC or kwa. 

As far as I'm aware the KSC and KWA have the same lower mechanisms, and they are horribly over complicated compared to other similar designs out there. 

5 minutes ago, Zarrin said:

As far as I'm aware the KSC and KWA have the same lower mechanisms, and they are horribly over complicated compared to other similar designs out there. 

Like a mortise lock mechanism.

45 minutes ago, RonLancs said:

I think I’m pulled more towards the TM P226 - just because I think it looks sexy but again I want metal and there’s nothing that can change that - is the SSP1 really that much of a bad option or are people just hating on it for what it is? A branded KJW 

metal, green gas, 200£ budget with holster and mags all in - that’s what I’m after but as someone said previously what a community. I’ve read most of the responses and I’m honestly grateful for everyone’s input and I wouldn’t ask if I really wasn’t stuck! 

The KJWs guns generally TM clones and pretty good ones I think one off their 1911s is a western arms clone. but they are base on designs that are meant to be lightish plastic. they will not as reliable or as efficient as TM but they will be perfectly usable. 

1 hour ago, RonLancs said:

I ran a P226 for a few years, i definitely like the looks and ergonomics, it was very reliable, upgrade wise i fitted a tightbore and PDI W hold bucking which pretty much made it 50M effective.

All it ever wanted was its piston lid seal lubing, that was all that ever went wrong - by wrong i mean it wouldnt cycle properly because the seal would drag the BBU ( im talking lube it once a day )

Great gun, i did have a full metal kit on it, but went back to the plastic slide as it functioned much better, especially in the colder months.

As for KJW etc - you said you wanted performance and reliability, this does not meet that criteria!

2 hours ago, Davegolf said:

I ran a P226 for a few years, i definitely like the looks and ergonomics, it was very reliable, upgrade wise i fitted a tightbore and PDI W hold bucking which pretty much made it 50M effective.

All it ever wanted was its piston lid seal lubing, that was all that ever went wrong - by wrong i mean it wouldnt cycle properly because the seal would drag the BBU ( im talking lube it once a day )

Great gun, i did have a full metal kit on it, but went back to the plastic slide as it functioned much better, especially in the colder months.

As for KJW etc - you said you wanted performance and reliability, this does not meet that criteria!

So that’s a solid no to SSP1 haha - would it be worth upgrading g18 with maple leaf guts? Anyone got experience with that? 

6 minutes ago, RonLancs said:

So that’s a solid no to SSP1 haha - would it be worth upgrading g18 with maple leaf guts? Anyone got experience with that? 

Yep, depending on the G18, ML kit will make a massive difference 

54 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Yep, depending on the G18, ML kit will make a massive difference 

Hmmm maybe just stick with the g18 then and get the ML kit and save myself 150£ in the process. 

This lockdown is dangerous for my bank account... 

Hi all,

May I please ask your opinion on which would you buy out of these two -

TM HK 45 @ €189.99 or TM G19(3rd gen) @ €169.99

Products and prices sourced from a company within Southern Ireland.  It would also be helpful to me if ye know about a new release worth waiting for as this would be my first purchase and am in no real hurry ATM.

Appreciate your time.

I tend to run WE pistols 'cos I like the metal slides and I enjoy tinkering with my guns (its one of the main parts of the hobby for me) I've got both a G18 and a P226, both have Maple Leaf hop rubbers, I keys and Crazy Jets . Both have gone from adequate to excellent in term so performance and range , the 226 is hands down my favourite pistol to use, ergonomically it suits me. Run on red gas all year round with no issues. I've also got a couple of 1911s , the MEU and the WW2 spec which I run with my STEN for a kind of SOE loadout. They are both Maple leaf'd and both decent but mag capacity isn't great but that is what it is. Personally I loath HIcappa's so a chunky 1911 with decent mags isn't an option . But yes anyone with a G17 / 18 put the Maple Leaf goodies in it !

27 minutes ago, Nick G said:

I tend to run WE pistols 'cos I like the metal slides and I enjoy tinkering with my guns (its one of the main parts of the hobby for me) I've got both a G18 and a P226, both have Maple Leaf hop rubbers, I keys and Crazy Jets . Both have gone from adequate to excellent in term so performance and range , the 226 is hands down my favourite pistol to use, ergonomically it suits me. Run on red gas all year round with no issues. I've also got a couple of 1911s , the MEU and the WW2 spec which I run with my STEN for a kind of SOE loadout. They are both Maple leaf'd and both decent but mag capacity isn't great but that is what it is. Personally I loath HIcappa's so a chunky 1911 with decent mags isn't an option . But yes anyone with a G17 / 18 put the Maple Leaf goodies in it !

Yeah, I like WE pistols for the same reasons - also the fact that they are usually between the 100-120 quid range, and the crazy jet and maple leaf upgrades all together don't usually even hit 40 quid, and as you say make them perform really well. They also handle power up gas nicely. I find they need a bit of periodical maintenance.. silicon oil etc, but you should be carrying out those checks on all GBBs anyway.

52 minutes ago, Noddy45 said:

TM HK 45 @ €189.99 or TM G19(3rd gen) @ €169.99

Well they are both TM so will give you good performance on green gas and I assume will perform relatively similarly in range, accuracy, consistency etc.

So the primary consideration for you should probably be what you like the look of more.

The HK45 mags take a few more rounds, mag prices seem to be similar. Maybe you want to check holster availability but both types should be readily available.

Also the HK has a hammer which you can cock/de-cock, the glock is based on a 'striker fired' design in the real steel meaning the hammer on the GBB is internal and cant be manually manipulated, so again that might play into what you like the feel of and how it operates.

My personal pref would be the HK on looks and ergonomics... actually the next pistol I have my eyes on is the VFC HK45CT.

1 hour ago, Nick G said:

I tend to run WE pistols 'cos I like the metal slides and I enjoy tinkering with my guns (its one of the main parts of the hobby for me) I've got both a G18 and a P226, both have Maple Leaf hop rubbers, I keys and Crazy Jets . Both have gone from adequate to excellent in term so performance and range...

Maple Leaf parts do seem quite nice - I put a Maple Leaf hop & F-key in my M&P with an RA-Tech barrel (and outer barrel, but that's mainly for durability & improving its appearance), along with the tape modifications to tighten things up a bit and they definitely made a huge difference in range and accuracy compared to stock. I also got a Maple Leaf barrel+hop upgrade set for my G17 not long ago but it's likely going to be a while before I can properly test that due to the lockdown (I expect the results to be similar though).

46 minutes ago, Zarrin said:

Yeah, I like WE pistols for the same reasons - also the fact that they are usually between the 100-120 quid range, and the crazy jet and maple leaf upgrades all together don't usually even hit 40 quid, and as you say make them perform really well. They also handle power up gas nicely. I find they need a bit of periodical maintenance.. silicon oil etc, but you should be carrying out those checks on all GBBs anyway.

A bit of Abbey LT2 or similar on all of the metal-to-metal parts & silicone oil on the rest every so often depending on use works well... and as you say cleaning/re-lubing/general maintenance should be done regularly with all GBBs anyway. I also use Abbey sniper gas to reduce wetting of the hop & barrel with oil to maintain better consistency as well as provide a little extra power, but it does mean having to perform maintenance a bit more often.

I find this all so interesting - I had mentioned TM Pistols because I have read they are reliable and maintenance straight forward however reading the comments above about WE Pistols(€70 less than tm) which as mentioned by @Nick G  can be upgraded/tinkering I find interesting as I would like this aspect of the hobby. 

Archived