Starting DMR

LuKe33!!
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

after speaking to a friend ive decided to go with the sr-16 SPR gun as i can in future upgrade it to a DMR but for now i am going to use it as a normal aeg and use it under the 350fps limit at my local site. im going to get a 455mm 6.02 tight bore barrel and a new spring that will hopefully take it up to around 348fps with the tight bore barrel fitted. im also getting a vari-zoom scope which my friend recommended me as well. the scope has 3-9x zoom. here's my cart on patrol base if anyone is interested.

image.thumb.png.87898886917435bf37589417581f102e.png

before anyone gets worried i have safety goggles already that i use in the workshop at Rolls Royce they are bolle poly carbonate ones so they should be ok, an they fit really close to my face so there is a small chance BBs will get over the top or under them.

24 minutes ago, LuKe33!! said:

before anyone gets worried i have safety goggles already that i use in the workshop at Rolls Royce they are bolle poly carbonate ones so they should be ok, an they fit really close to my face so there is a small chance BBs will get over the top or under them.

It's not about BBs going through from the top or bottom, it's about BBs smashing through the "glass" or breaking the frame!

Bolle glasses are usually fine but check your site if they allow "unrated" eyepro..

Might be, but better safe than sorry, God only gave us 2 eyes and, unlike kidneys, we need both of them and technology can't replace then yet :)

as for the AEG specs, a full v2 cylinder probably won't have enough air volume to cope with a 450mm inner barrel..

stick to a 300/363mm barrel with a full cylinder and use that sweet joule creep to push heavy BBs..

3-9x optics imo are overkill for the distances airsoft has. 4x is more than enough for 90% of the engagements.. I'd get a nice 4x or 6x tops, the most important thing is that the lens absorbs as much light as possible and the vision is crystal clear.. Have a look at short dots, they look cool and work as both close and long range sights!

• Supporters

Since it's your first aeg, get a red dot instead. You will be outgunned because you won't be able to line them up in your sights by the time they already shot you. Speaking from experience here.

The guys are right here with the barrel length. Doesn't add accuracy even if installed correctly and if you don't adjust the cylinder volume to it, it will actually decrease both fps and accuracy.

• 1 year later...

I'm kinda confused ( in context of this thread ) by this buy TM argument ,yes best around quality  out of the box ,but every serious Airsofter i know who buys one upgrades theirs with Prometheus parts , if you was on a budget and brought a good solid budget gun ( IE a specna ) and used it as a base gun and then upgraded the internal parts with some Prometheus parts surely you would have a gun ,that performs on  the same par as an upgraded TM,costs a lot less , but without the fanboy kudos ..

On 15/11/2018 at 20:22, LuKe33!! said:

after speaking to a friend ive decided to go with the sr-16 SPR gun as i can in future upgrade it to a DMR but for now i am going to use it as a normal aeg and use it under the 350fps limit at my local site. im going to get a 455mm 6.02 tight bore barrel and a new spring that will hopefully take it up to around 348fps with the tight bore barrel fitted. im also getting a vari-zoom scope which my friend recommended me as well. the scope has 3-9x zoom. here's my cart on patrol base if anyone is interested.

image.thumb.png.87898886917435bf37589417581f102e.png

Depending on your play style That's a long old mag for a DMR.
I as wouldn't bother with a M105 spring.

East mids RR .... Derby?

13 hours ago, Viking1759 said:

I'm kinda confused ( in context of this thread ) by this buy TM argument ,yes best around quality  out of the box ,but every serious Airsofter i know who buys one upgrades theirs with Prometheus parts , if you was on a budget and brought a good solid budget gun ( IE a specna ) and used it as a base gun and then upgraded the internal parts with some Prometheus parts surely you would have a gun ,that performs on  the same par as an upgraded TM,costs a lot less , but without the fanboy kudos ..

If you were to do that with say a specna and a VFC then you’re right, as they are both V2 with the same hop chamber. Where you get improvements Is when the hop chamber design is just inherently better. 

for example... you can take 2 identical Mk23’s and fit them both with maple leaf buckings. Now if you get a TDC for the Mk23 it will be better even with the same fps, same bb, same hop rubber. Purely because how the pressure is applied 

• Supporters

I think tbh its more a case of a known quantity.

For folks who arent necessarily prepared to get intimate with their guns internals getting a gun they know will perform 90% is a safe bet.

Yes you can extract good performance out of a cheaper gun, but it takes more than just throwing a bunch of expensive parts in there and hoping for the best.

On 24/12/2019 at 11:47, Adolf Hamster said:

For folks who arent necessarily prepared to get intimate with their guns internals getting a gun they know will perform 90% is a safe bet.

Yes you can extract good performance out of a cheaper gun, but it takes more than just throwing a bunch of expensive parts in there and hoping for the best.

TBH , the balance and build quality of a TM is evident ,but its swings and roundabouts, you could take the gamble and put all your money into buying a 2nd hand TM ( depending on how it’s been looked after )that may  or may not shoot good or buy a solid cheaper gun upgrade it ,that shoots great and keeps up with the big boys but won’t impress the geardos/fanboys .

I’ve personally upgraded an Arthurian mk18 with Prometheus  parts shoots better than most AEGs on my field including the boys with the TM’s    

On 24 December 2019 at 11:47, Adolf Hamster said:

Hey mate ,don't get me wrong, would love a recoil ,I think they've got the balance and feel just right ,but let's be honest there's a lot of snobbery in airsoft ,from someone on the outside looking in , you've got two groups of players ,the tiny group of peacocks that drape themselves in crye and wouldn't be seen with nothing less than a TM recoil ,buying respect, loving the attention they get from kids and the rest who just want a good looking gun that shoots long and straight lol

1 hour ago, Viking1759 said:

TBH , the balance and build quality of a TM is evident ,but its swings and roundabouts, you could take the gamble and put all your money into buying a 2nd hand TM ( depending on how it’s been looked after )that may  or may not shoot good or buy a solid cheaper gun upgrade it ,that shoots great and keeps up with the big boys but won’t impress the geardos/fanboys .

I’ve personally upgraded an Arthurian mk18 with Prometheus  parts shoots better than most AEGs on my field including the boys with the TM’s    

Me and my dad's go to upgrade platform is the G&P. Needs minimal part replacement to get a good airseal, gearbox is built like a tank and, somewhat uniquely, it has a threaded adjustable spacer at the back of the lower receiver, at least on mine, to set the gearbox alignment without worrying about spacers or shims

Archived