Royal Mail

Baz JJ

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Is there an issue with Royal Mail ?

Some weeks ago I ordered a real steel bipod from an online retailer who sells outdoor and sporting goods. They claim they posted it by Royal Mail but failed to have tracking details. They refunded my Paypal and it has never turned up.

Suspicious I thought but hey ho, got refunded.

Bought a slightly different but still real steel bipod from a proper gunshop. They sent it by Royal Mail and gave me a tracking number. Didnt turn up after four days, so fearing it was lost, asked them to check it with RM. Apparently RM returned it to their shop today with no reason given.

Shop has despatched it back to me today.

What is going on ?

• Root Admin

No idea, but I am waiting on some parts that were sent first class Monday and haven't shown up - a few mags (made sure they were disassembled) and a holster. Usually it gets here next day but here we are 3-4 days on.

Strange indeed. Hopefully they aren't starting to get (even more) stupid about gun parts.

I am seeing a worrying general trend where companies are choosing what is legal and what isn't. They longer consider themselves morally led by the countries wishes but instead are imposing their own set of morality. I am seeing a big battle between the public at large and corporations that decide what can be said and what can be bought/sold and delivered. Free speech/legal trade likely needs further defence, not from the government but from companies.

someone was supposed to sell me a RIS, but it never turned up. He sent it by royal mail, and now that you lot have had problems, I'm starting to think RM might be screwing us over :/

Ive had other smaller stuff delivered this week like a fore grip etc but that comes as a letter in a jiffy bag with the ordinary postman.

I wonder if there is a different routing in RM for parcels which normally is a separate van delivery to me and they are vetting contents.

RM define restricted goods as:

Guns intended for sporting purposes - including Section 1 (e.g. hunting rifles) and Section 2 (e.g. shotguns) firearms, low-powered air weapons and their component parts - may be sent in compliance with UK law and subject to domestic controls on the possession of firearms. Antiques, deactivated and imitation firearms are also permitted. When sending deactivated firearms include proof of deactivation.

Items that appear to be prohibited weapons may be subject to additional checks and delays. Please see www.royalmail.com/prohibitedgoods/business

Use 1st Class as the minimum service. The senders name and address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

UNQUOTE

I wonder if they are interpreting component parts a little too enthusiatically ?

It only needs some pencilneck to draft an email to all staff and it gives people an excuse to do even less work. "Computer says no" syndrome.

The excuse given by RM for the return to sender is that their sorting office read the senders details as the delivery address by mistake ? !

Lets see if it reaches me this time.

Guest RektnNekt

Why are they all so up-tight about airsoft? It is a sport, just like any other. Of course, there is the whole RIF thing, but they're happy to deliver things that are actual weapons. I mean, an airsoft mag is clearly distinguishable from a real one when disassembled. There is nowhere for the bullets to go. Happy I didn't send my gun by RM a few days ago. Absolutely ridiculous...

Yeah, totally doesn't make sense for them to do this based on their interpretation of legality in regards to gun laws (but, I bet it is why they're doing it)

Same with the ITAR regulation thing in the US. Understandably they don't want to ship gun parts to countries where firearms ownership laws are more restrictive...but when it encompasses literally almost everything remotely gun-related, you realise it's stupid. Like, you can't even buy something like a foregrip or handguard due to it.

I didnt realise you were a SEAL !

Who do you think played 'Nick the navy seal' in the advert floating around on telly at the moment lol

I've had some issues with RM recently too. Most recently it was some car wax I tried to send last week - got returned as it contained a solvent....

Sent it TNT no problem even when fully declaring what it was and the solvent content.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up on Parcelfarce, their 48hr tracked & signed for service has gone up stupidly above 2kg. Last time I used it it cost about £6, posted the other day and it was over £12, even the guy in the Post Office agreed its ludicrous. Keep it just under 2kg and its under £4. Not impressed.

• Supporters

Stopped using Royal Mail for 2kg's+ as they just took the pi$$ on Spec Delivery

up to 2kg was say £6 a few years back

over 2kg it jumped to £18 !!!

so an adsl modem router I was sending a m8 in desperate need for next day went in 2 boxes....

as it was the psu that was heaviest & router thingy went in proper box with cables disc etc....

Right Mr Postal counter - explain that to me....

2 x parcels £12 & 2 tracking crap numbers....

1 parcel @ £18 simple easier to process etc....

Since then I use Parcel Pete / UK Mail / iPost Parcels

98% of stuff gets there very next day - trackable with 1hr expected delivery time

plus drop off Friday afternoon and they try for Saturday delivery at no extra charge

the odd discounts codes pop up on various sites like hot UK deals etc.....

Ffffforget Royal Mail bell ends

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.