I am a beginner

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am extremely stuck and confused to which first gun to buy. I have never played airsoft and I am going to start playing. I also do not have a lot of money. What gun should I buy which is cheap? I am looking for rifle. Also what mask should I buy?

Rent a gun and equipment for your first game, they will kit you out to get going and then you can have a chat with the other players and find out what they use, try it out and see what you want. Go slow with your kit up is my main advice, you don't need a lot to get started once you determine you want to play the sport but getting it right to begin with can save a lot of aggravation.

A few steps to buying your first gun:

1. Choose a few guns you like the look of
  2. If you see anyone with one of those guns at a skirmish, ask them if you can handle or have a go with it. Most people will be more than happy to show their weapons off.
  3. After deciding on a type of gun you want, look around on retailer's sites for the manufacturers who make that type of gun- there can be multiple manufacturers who do this, there are great multitudes who produce M4s, G36s, AKs and the like
  4. Ask what manufacturer is best for the model of gun you're looking at. Some manufacturers are good for some models of gun and bad for others

The most money you'll be looking to spend on your first gun is around £130 or more RRP.

For more info, check this guide: http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/17294-ians-guide-to-noobism-on-a-tight-budget/

Thanks guys, this is really helpful. But one last question, where should I buy guns if there are no shops I could go to (I'm from UK)? I've seen some websites but I'm scared if they don't work? And just to clarify, electric gun yes?

• Root Admin

The 'Places to Buy' section gives good reviews on all popular UK sites for airsoft.

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/forum/10-places-to-buy/

Yes, an AEG is what you should be looking to start with. Have a budget of around £120-150 for your first gun. Anything cheaper (that isn't second hand) will likely be of very poor build quality. Some websites base their business around these cheaper guns and are generally of ill repute.

Edit:

You'll also want to make yourself aware of RIFs and the VCRA - the legalities of owning a gun that looks real and how to prove to a retailer that you play airsoft.

There are a couple of threads for this, and it's probably the most common question asked in airsoft so I'd advise having a quick check around other threads where it's been asked before.

Indeed you should buy an electric gun. This is a UK based forum, so any retailers that we mention should ship to you as well. Have a look in the 'Places to Buy' subforum and post a thread there asking about a retailer if you can't find one on them already.

The best retailer for a gun on a budget is Zero-One, as they will 2tone your gun for free if needed. Other good UK based retailers include Proairsoftsupplies, firesupport and Land warrior airsoft.

If you are over 18 and decide to go to 3 games in no less than 2 months, you can have your details put onto the UKARA database which will give you a personal code known as a UKARA number or defence. This can be used to buy realistic (IE black, tan, olive drab, dark coloured etc.) guns, otherwise known as Realistic Imitation Firearms or RIFs.

• Root Admin

UKARA is one way of easily providing a valid defence for buying an airsoft gun which looks close to the real thing - an RIF (Realistic Immitation Firearm). Most AEGs (Automatic Electric Guns) are also RIFs and so need to be painted a high visibility colour unless you can prove to a retailer that you're a regular airsoft player. This is commonly referred to as '2-toning'.

This is why most would recommend renting until you can get UKARA by becoming a member of a site and over 18 (and filling out the applicable form).

There are other ways to provide a valid defence for buying, but UKARA membership is the most commonly accepted.

Edit:

UKARA: http://www.ukara.org.uk/

BAC (similar idea to UKARA): http://www.britishairsoftclub.co.uk/

We're getting ahead of ourselves here though. Just get down to a site and give it a go by renting :)

• Supporters

Automatic Electric Gun

(others are gas guns, or one shot & cock (springers) like very cheap pistols or snipers)

you can buy a IF - Immitation Firearm = 2-tone to easily display it is not a real or real looking gun

Once you have defense - been playing a while you can get a RIF (black gun - or tan, not a 2-tone gun)

You still need to be 18+ to buy a 2-tone or RIF (2-tone)

and you can only get ukara (defense) if 18+

there are other ways to obtain stuff if "gifted" but in general the above stuff is valid or applies

AEG = Automatic Electric Gun

UKARA = UK Airsoft Retailers Association. You need to be UKARA registered in order to buy a realistic looking gun instead of a bright 2-tone coloured gun.

To get UKARA registered you need to play at least 3 games over a period of 2 months with a club and they can register you. You also need to be 18+.

* I'm way too slow.

• Root Admin

Please carefully read the above three posts.

Many, many edits as I'm on a phone:

'Gifting' is very much a grey area and not something I expect many here would be happy to advise on. Especially to someone who's already admitted that they're below the age to buy any airsoft gun, 2-tone or otherwise.

All is not lost! If you're over 14 (or is it as low as 12 at some sites?) Then just go down and rent the kit to play with. Many sites have great rental equipment that could be much better than anything a beginner would like to drop their money on so early.

• Supporters

Gifting - is a bit dodgy in some cases but then I'm ukara'd and gifted my son so to speak

your parents may buy a IF 2-tone gun for you - which they are gifting as you can't buy jack if under 18

the dodgy area if a minor or non-ukara'd person asks other with defense to purchase them an IF or RIF on their behalf

THIS is the bit that is met with a usual F*CK OFF as it is breaking the law/guidelines of vcra act

plus the ukara'd person can get in $hit as well as being an ultra dick as these guidelines are there to enable us to continue

(despite some people trying to stop/ban us - Australia still bans airsoft, thankfully I don't live down under)

• Supporters

I'm going to go to a site and hire rental equipment for a few games but eventually I'll decide to get my own

At last "clap clap clap"

By playing and seeing what others are using it will give you an idea what to look for based on how you want to play.

Enjoy your first game.

• Supporters

Usually orange or blue or green

it has to be EASILY noticed that it is not a real or realistic looking gun

jeez - read up a bit, no offense

but have a look about - don't buy ANYTHING especially from JBBG ffs

GO AND RENT AND PLAY - it isn't for everybody

especially unfit lazy COD players - I like COD but it is a lot - no totally different to sitting on ya ar$e

Excuse our sarcasim - you are getting the idea

we get so many of these questions and yet there are so many good sticky's

yes rent n play to test the water - then take it from there

I'm sure you will be hooked but go slowly at first

Loads of us took the plunge and bought Fantastic Quality Pro Guns from places like JBBG

and seriously regretted it - don't rush or buy anything yet - just try it out a few times first

a decent AEG starter gun will be about £125 to £150 and it WON'T come from JBBG

that is still gonna be £200+ once you add battery/charger/goggles/mag/bb's/boots etc....

So pop down to a local site and get playing first and you may find you like the rental guns

or what other players are using

please read this lot:

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/3581-new-and-looking-for-somewhere-to-play/

lots more here:

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/12854-new-player-guides-info/

Think I'm done on this for the moment

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.