Disabled players

shortman

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey,

Im still new to the forum and the whole airsoft sport. But iv a younger brother (he's 27) and has a disability to do with muscle control. It affects the tension in his muscles, imagine tensing your arm 24/7 and still trying to do things while its tensed all the time, gives you a small idea of what he has.

Thing is my point is has anyone really played airsoft with many disabled players? Is there any reason he cant play? He can hold a gun and he can run and aim. Hes not got the best acuracy but he will be having fun and taking part and thats the main thing.

Im just up for some feed back and opinions realy. Speak your mind i shant be offended and niether will he.

I'd say go for it mate, if he can do it then you both crack on

I've heard of people in wheel chairs playing, even CQB sites with stairs where people have helped them up & down the stairs

Cool, cheers bud. Thats the kind of feed back i was looking for realy. You never know with some sports/activities as some places see disability as a liabilty for injury claim etc. Or just additional hassle. And i understand that, but he is very keen to play :)

• Supporters

Check with the sites you intend to use as some may have insurance restrictions depending on his level of ability.

I asked a couple local sites about a similar issue for a friend, he is prone to mild muscle spasms and suffers some lack of coordination from it.

One site said it may be an issue if he was affected enough to not be deemed in control of when he fires the weapon, but after checking with their insurance policies etc said it was fine and just suggested he didn't keep his finger on the trigger, but were perfectly satisfied that he was in control of his actions to a safe degree.

The other said it was fine and their only related policies was that if someone is disabled to the extent where they require supervision/assistance then this supervision must be provided, and that if someone is disabled to the extent where they are not considered responsible for their actions then they can't play even if whoever is responsible for them thinks it's a good idea.

I missed a day at The Mall where a guy in a wheelchair was playing, he couldn't feel anything below the waist so any hits to his legs were deemed to not count. There was reportedly great comradery in helping him get around the site and he had a fantastic time. From talking to the marshals about it their only stipulation was that there was always enough people with him to provide assistance (if required) to evacuate the building in an emergency, they had a marshal follow him to ensure this was the case.

From what i gather the only issue for disabilities and airsoft is whether someone can be deemed in control of their actions or not

Sounds like your brother will be fine, and wish you both a good time airsofting!

He is the only person who can truly answer that question, will he have the stamina to hold and play over the course of the day? Even if he doesn't for the full game, there is always the safe zone he can go back to and chill for a bit.

There should be no restrictions from an organiser point of view, so long as he is not wheel chair bound as obviously that could cause complications for woodland, (but not entirely excludatory)

We have a few members with chronic muscular pains who may be in a better position to advise, but he should go for it, give it a game on a rental gun and see how he feels.

It's his condition, so he should be the one that decides his own limitations not the organiser.

Yeah,

Go for it, the only advice I would give is make sure he makes his weapon safe before going into safe zone just in case of any muscle spasms causing him to fire, this way it doesn't matter if he does. Also do check with sites before hand. I'm sure they wouldn't have any trouble with it.

Thanks very much guys! The feed back has been fantastic and will certianly cheer him up on his chance of playing. Genuinly impressed by the responses on the forum. Feel i chose the right forum to join.

Thanks again and any other coments are welcomed.

Everything i was going to say after reading your question has already been said.

But i would totally expect any site to be inclusive and make allowances just as long as they had time to be informed of any requirements (such as the wheelchair at the mall for example).

And as a player i would be very happy to play alongside or against anyone of any ability..

So bring him along im sure he will enjoy himself!!

if he wants to play, i dont see why anyone would have a problem with him playing! i cant imagine any sites saying no to him playing, as long as he can control the rifle and be safe with it, there will be no problem with it! Good luck and welcome to the sport :)

EDIT: just thought i would add, one of the top marshals at the site i play at has had no end of surgery to the point where he cant walk without a walking stick, he also has other complications but he still plays happily, everyone helps him to play where they can and he loves it! you will be surprised how helpful people are when you go! everyone loves the sport and will happily help (most of the time) to get someone playing, just check with the site before to make sure they are happy with it, but they most likely will be :)

If he feels he can play then by all means rock up and have a blast.

Disabilities can be accounted for easily enough in any environment if people are willing. From my limited experience of airsoft, there seems a good majority of the 'right' sort.

On a side note.

A few years back i was a senior marshal at a paintball site. We ran a game day for a large group of players who were all deaf.

Yes we had to adapt things like safety speeches, game briefs etc. But we worked hard in our prep and ran a smooth game day. The players had a blast, we surprise ourselves and it showed.

Nothing is impossible.

Cheers guys. Defo seems like airsoft is a sport that has alot of open minded and considerate players and organisers. As i said befor i understand why some companys see disability as a challenge that they dont always wish to or know how to deal with. But its bloody awesome when people do go the extra mile to include all abilitys of any people.

Ill be playing my first few games soon so ill have a feel for what he mybe in for when he gets involved. But id say he will certianly be on the field very soon.

some companys see disability as a challenge that they dont always wish to or know how to deal with.

Non touching barge poles etc....

No place for this attitude nowadays! if you do encounter this with certain sites, then name and shame please... I for one will avoid this kind of site for this behavior!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.