GoPro Newbie, Help!!

Snakeeyes75

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just got from the wife a GoPro Hero (Just the basic Hero). I have no idea about these things so what am I going to need other than a 32gb Card and what looks like a helmet mount (To attach to a Fast helmet). Do I need to put it in a case? (It's already om a case but I can see the lens being cracked in seconds) any help appreciated!

You'll need a decent write speed micro SD card for it, had to sort out a couple of gopro's that were using cheap class 10 cards, crashed a lot.

Ended up using http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UHS-I-CLASS-Micro-Adapter/dp/B00J29BR3Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420232389&sr=8-1&keywords=class+10+micro+sd+card so can confirm they work fine.

You can get rubber covers which protect the waterproof case from impact (ebay), but I've not seen anything which actually covers the cases lens.

Seen a lens being smashed on a YouTube vid, but it was hit pointblank in cqb by a guy who was cheating (was shooting at like 500fps+ or something daft).

I think they're strong enough to take normal hits, all the people I've seen using them have had them unprotected anyway.

Been using my Go-pro Hero 2 for about two years now and my dad has been using his Go-pro 3 white editon for about one so I have a fair bit of experience using them. As long as you use any SD card from a good brand that uses quality NAND Flash in it you should be fine. Althought some times it just likes to be a PITA and not like some brands over others, but I have used Sandisk and Kingston in mine and have no problems and as Adam3088 has said above me he has had no problems with Samsung brand SD cards so just stick to the good brands and you'll be fine. Here is a link to all three that can confirm work.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UHS-I-CLASS-Micro-Adapter/dp/B00J29BR3Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420232389&sr=8-1&keywords=class+10+micro+sd+card

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KINGSTON-MICRO-SD-SDHC-MEMORY-CARD-UHS-1-CLASS-10-32GB-/231319878940?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessories_MemoryCards&hash=item35dbbd3d1c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32GB-SANDISK-MOBILE-ULTRA-UHS-I-MICRO-SDHC-MEMORY-CARD-WITH-SD-ADAPTER-/351022711395?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessories_MemoryCards&hash=item51ba958263

As far as cases go I just use the waterproof mount with the skeleton door which has been hit direct on the lense with BB's and has not broken. Once it was point blank range coming round a corner and it has not broken. For mounting, I use the gopro helmet NVG mount then place the Go-pro into upside down recording mode, which works great here is the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=gopro+helmet+mount&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC2.A0.H0.Xgopro+NVG+helmet+mount&_nkw=gopro+NVG+helmet+mount&_sacat=0

(Shameless plug. If you wanna go see my airsoft gameplay footage which is taken with my Go-pro Hero 2 here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/user/UndieingLust/videos)

I'd avoid using the Kingston cards, that's the one we had problems with. After talking to some people at GoPro found out they recommend using cards which have at least a 30MB/s write speed (I think it was 30, this was a while back).

They'd work most of the time, but with fairly frequent crashes + occasional failures to record.

Arrrgghhh!!! So, a week later and here's where I am. I took back the lovely gift frommy wife and bought the Hero 4 Silver. The basic one doesn't do what I want it to do which is take a pic every 10 seconds. Also, I was really concerned that the lens might crack. (The Basic Hero cannot be removed from the case). Anyways.. I got all spendy and paid out for the 4 silver. Problem is the memory card! I have on order the Samsung Evo 32gb which doesn't look like it'll now be any good! If I plan to record at the default 1080p 30 fps setting will it still work?

GoPro's from 3 and upwards are temperamental little things when it comes to what Mirco SD Card's they like.

First rule of thumb is to avoid ALL non-branded cards.

Second rule would be to make sure the card you use is a high rating card with plenty of space. Mirco SD cards have little rating numbers on them, 10, I believe, being the better rating, with no number at all the equivalent of a 1 rating.

Third, and most important rule of thumb though, is to BITE THE BULLET so to speak, and invest in a card that is supported by GoPro themselves. One of the BIGGEST reasons for lost or corrupt recording is due to Cheap, Bad, Incorrect SD cards.

So for you Snakeeyes75, it would be one of the following;

HERO4 Black & Silver

• A Class 10 MicroSD card up to 64 GB is required.

Not all Class 10 microSD cards have the same data write speeds. Due to the higher bit rate capabilities and to support new features of HERO4 camera, we have provided a list of recommended cards that provide the best experience

• SanDisk Extreme 32GB microSDHC (SDSDQXL-032G)
  • SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC (SDSDQXL-064G)
  • Lexar 32GB SDHC 633x (LSDMI32GBBNL633R)
  • Lexar 64GB SDXC 633x (LSDMI64GBBNL633R)

I know people like to save a few quid... but you'll be kicking yourself when you lose a full weekends worth of footage (as i have done) across three different cards. It's just not worth chancing someone elses opinion just because they've never had any trouble with a certain card, especially when GoPro model and recording settings all come into play.

My first post, and my two cent's from 3 years GoPro-ing experience. :)

Hope this helps!

• Supporters

SanDisk would be my recommendation too. I use them in my camcorder (HD Sony jobber) and they're great if a little more pricey. Pixmania usually have the best prices.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

You can easil mount your GoPro onto a fast helmet by attaching one of the onetimestick mounts on the NVG mount area. Thats where i put mine, and have recorded 2 days of airsoft, and one of paintball. I holds it well enough; i wacked my pretty badly in a branch, and it stayed on the helmet. the lens e of the camera may be strong enough, but the case's lense definatly is... i was recording some paintball, and took one to the lense, didnt do anything; not ever change the angle it was mounted at. Very strong piece of equiptment. my grandfather sht ne with an air rifle as well to test it

OK guys so I have my gopro mounted to my fast helmet by the NVG mount. I've been trying out the angle and it's all looking really good :) One question I need to ask is, I have it set on Video + photo, set to take a pic every 10 secs whilst simultaniously recording. I've tried this and the vid quality is perfect but the pics are mostly blurred! is this normal? I was thinking it may be using a slower shutter speed as it's "Time lapse"??

OK guys so I have my gopro mounted to my fast helmet by the NVG mount. I've been trying out the angle and it's all looking really good :) One question I need to ask is, I have it set on Video + photo, set to take a pic every 10 secs whilst simultaniously recording. I've tried this and the vid quality is perfect but the pics are mostly blurred! is this normal? I was thinking it may be using a slower shutter speed as it's "Time lapse"??

Might be because your head is moving too much during the one frame capture while recording. To test this, can you please place the camera on the floor (or other even surface) and let that run. Let me know- preferably by DM- if it is still blurry.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.