The Objective Box - A whole new way to airsoft!

ObjectiveBox

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys!

Before I begin, if this post is in violation to any forum rules, please move to the appropriate section or contact me as do not wish for this post to be deleted. The purpose of this post is to inform, not spam or cause issues. Thanks.

http://youtu.be/kbRp4P9Ba4c"]http://youtu.be/kbRp4P9Ba4c

My name is Tye, founder of the brand new concept, the Objective Box. For the past 3 years we have developed the world’s first complete iOS app that can fully manage an airsoft game from start to finish. Using different audio effects, the app signals game start, end, time remaining and coordinates an entire mission enhancing game play with ease. The Objective Box eliminates the need for people to act as game coordinators allowing the smallest group to be able to run a multitude of fully functional, coordinated missions and objectives. This app is so reliable that it can be used for full blown operations if desired.

Forum-App-Picture.jpg

The Objective Box app is now available on iTunes and features three unique mission modes: Timed Mission, Capture Mission and Rush Mission. Each mission type allows the user to customize many options to run different scenarios. We will also be releasing other mission modes in the future which will expand game type options for players.

Forum-Box-In-Action.jpg

Not only do we offer players a great app to run their op, but we have developed a playable objective that amplifies the audio from the app, allowing everyone to be able to hear what is happening on the field of battle. It also aides in protecting your device while in use. The best thing about is that we show the community how to build this simple, inexpensive device! This is the what the Objective Box is about and it will forever change the way we war game.

Forum-OBBox-Picture.jpg

I encourage you to take a look at our website as it will explain everything in better detail. Please visit www.objectivebox.com. Feel free to post any questions you may have about this app and product as we are happy to help.

Have a great day!

Tye Campbell

Interesting concept. Certainly takes a step forward in an often problematic area. Great that it offers the Battlefield Rush style of play. I watched the video above and your introduction but would be good to see a video of it in action.

Thanks for the comments and yes it does help out in a very problematic area.

We are compiling video footage of it in action, so stay tuned!

In the video I think Tye mentioned that you can use a bog standard ipod touch, not sure which gen though. I'm not an Apple guy but I imagine you can pick up an old one for peanuts these days.

This is correct. We built this specifically for the older units to save money. As jcheeseright mentioned, you are not going to want to use this in game with your brand new iPhone 6. You can use this app on any Apple device that can run on iOS6 and above. This includes 4th Gen iPod Touches and iPhone 4. Both of these can be picked up inexpensively and run the app perfectly. You do not need to have service on the iPhone either as it is a standalone application that does NOT required data/WiFi usage.

• Supporters

A nice idea Tye, and I can definitely see a place for it even if its just something that sites can include into their game play, as most already run with marshals. You might want to have a look at the BattleTac app to see if there might be a way you can incorporate aspects of the GPS tracking capability into your upcoming game modes.

A nice idea Tye, and I can definitely see a place for it even if its just something that sites can include into their game play, as most already run with marshals. You might want to have a look at the BattleTac app to see if there might be a way you can incorporate aspects of the GPS tracking capability into your upcoming game modes.

Great thought! We will look into that!

Check this out! The latest airsoft news about the Objective Box on Popular Airsoft:

Why does everyone make iPhone apps first? For cost effectiveness, first port of call should always be Android.

Devices can be got for £30 (Not Kidding either - http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/seriously-cheap-android-tablet-hits-the-uk-for-30-1208145), and you don't have to pay to publish.

"But more people use iDevices.."

No, they don't - http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

This I'm afraid just shows another company not doing sufficient market research...

Why does everyone make iPhone apps first? For cost effectiveness, first port of call should always be Android.

Devices can be got for £30 (Not Kidding either - http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/seriously-cheap-android-tablet-hits-the-uk-for-30-1208145), and you don't have to pay to publish.

"But more people use iDevices.."

No, they don't - http://www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp

This I'm afraid just shows another company not doing sufficient market research...

Good questions! We have done our research my friend and here is our reasoning.

The first reason why we chose the Apple platform is because there is only ONE operating system. Granted there is iOS6, iOS7 and iOS8 now but for the most part they are all the same with just a couple different features. Android has about 20 different operating systems that are all unique to the device they run on. Using Apple's one operating system allowed us to perfect the software for Objective Box app to fun flawlessly across a multitude of device options (iPhone, iPod, iPad, ect). So it does not matter what Apple device you run it on, it will run the same. For Android, we could not guarntee the same flawless running app experience on such a wide range of operating systems. To run the Objective Box app flawlessly is key as you would not be able to run a game, op or event with an app if it would crash or freeze in the middle of gameplay. It HAS TO BE reliable. Now nothing is to say that we will not develop the app for Android in the future, but for now we are going to stick with Apple.

The second reason and main reason, is not everyone has an iPhone or is willing to use it for airsoft use so you can substitute the phone for an iPod or iPad. iPod's can be picked up easily and inexpensively if purchased preowned. When I say "inexpensive" I mean in comparison to what we spend on airsoft, they are inexpensive. This will allow you to be able to have a dedicated device just for this use. Also when they released the iPhone 6, the cost to buy a preowned iPhone 4 dropped considerably and they too can be used for this app and you do NOT NEED SERVICE for the phone to run the app! All you need is the device as the Objective Box app does not need WiFi or a network to run on.

Some players have asked why we didn't build a stand alone device for this idea from the start. To be honest, this whole concept started as a stand alone electric device. We spent two years developing the Objective Box that way until we realized that it would be very expensive for the consumer and would not allow flexibility on it's use; i.e. it's design and intergration. Going forward with an app allows us to be able to update the software easily, expand gaming options in the future and parts and pieces for repairs for Apple products are readily available if something happened to your device. With a stand alone electronic device, you would not have that ability and the cost would be considerably high.

You can buy the app, build your Objective Box (our design) and purchase a preowned iPod touch for easily under $200UDS. If you are the type that can really find deals, you could maybe get it under $150UDS. With a stand alone device it would easily cost $350-$400USD! We know we made the right choice.

Great questions gentlemen! We are here to help!

Good questions! We have done our research my friend and here is our reasoning.

The first reason why we chose the Apple platform is because there is only ONE operating system. Granted there is iOS6, iOS7 and iOS8 now but for the most part they are all the same with just a couple different features. Android has about 20 different operating systems that are all unique to the device they run on. Using Apple's one operating system allowed us to perfect the software for Objective Box app to fun flawlessly across a multitude of device options (iPhone, iPod, iPad, ect). So it does not matter what Apple device you run it on, it will run the same. For Android, we could not guarntee the same flawless running app experience on such a wide range of operating systems. To run the Objective Box app flawlessly is key as you would not be able to run a game, op or event with an app if it would crash or freeze in the middle of gameplay. It HAS TO BE reliable. Now nothing is to say that we will not develop the app for Android in the future, but for now we are going to stick with Apple.

Well then, you are fully aware that iOS support for just 6,7 and 8 isn't anywhere near as simple as you make it out to be. For iOS 6+ There are 5 different iPads, 6 different iPhones, 3 different iPod Touchs. Apart from the iPad Mini 2 sharing the same resolution as the iPad Air, no 2 devices have the same screen resolution. Within that coverage of devices there are 37 possible kernels, and a whopping 408 possible update variations that the device could have installed. Otherwise known as 211,344 possible combinations. Totally simple to keep a control on. Completely relevant reason to specify an application within a very closed system. iOS is no more reliable than Android, as has been proven on many an occasion in the past few years, most notably a certain vulnerability regarding iCloud passwords stored in an unsecured location as PLAIN TEXT. Android has a few bugs, but nothing as fundamentally stupid as that.

The second reason and main reason, is not everyone has an iPhone or is willing to use it for airsoft use so you can substitute the phone for an iPod or iPad. iPod's can be picked up easily and inexpensively if purchased preowned. When I say "inexpensive" I mean in comparison to what we spend on airsoft, they are inexpensive. This will allow you to be able to have a dedicated device just for this use. Also when they released the iPhone 6, the cost to buy a preowned iPhone 4 dropped considerably and they too can be used for this app and you do NOT NEED SERVICE for the phone to run the app! All you need is the device as the Objective Box app does not need WiFi or a network to run on.

Inexpensive in comparison to airsoft? Most players aren't buying PTW's, and that is the only way your comparison could ever work. The cheapest possible device I could find on ebay still costs more than most players spend on a rifle (Basing it against a Combat Machine) within the UK. Totally inexpensive. Not.

Some players have asked why we didn't build a stand alone device for this idea from the start. To be honest, this whole concept started as a stand alone electric device. We spent two years developing the Objective Box that way until we realized that it would be very expensive for the consumer and would not allow flexibility on it's use; i.e. it's design and intergration. Going forward with an app allows us to be able to update the software easily, expand gaming options in the future and parts and pieces for repairs for Apple products are readily available if something happened to your device. With a stand alone electronic device, you would not have that ability and the cost would be considerably high.

You can buy the app, build your Objective Box (our design) and purchase a preowned iPod touch for easily under $200UDS. If you are the type that can really find deals, you could maybe get it under $150UDS. With a stand alone device it would easily cost $350-$400USD! We know we made the right choice.

Back to my original point, with android that standalone device wouldn't even need to cost a quarter of your projected cost as a standalone device. This is why for cost effectiveness iOS is not viable.

Great questions gentlemen! We are here to help!

Notes in italics.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.