Which P226…?

Davet

I’ve always been a 226 fan, having used all three pistols the army’s issued over the last 20 years - the Browning HP was nice but a bit small, the Glock’s good but I always found it a bit boxy, the 226 was a nice chunky feeling pistol that just worked for me.

So I’m looking at reliving my Herrick days and getting a new sidearm.  Obviously, everybody raves about the TM and it’s 1-1, but it’s plastic and not full weight. What other decent options are there out there that fit the 1-1, metal, realistic weight criteria…?

• Supporters

While i love TM kit above anything else, if i was looking for a full metal variant, I'd rate KJW stuff way above the the likes of WE etc.

There is an older thread comparing the TM and KJW ones (2016)

Absolutely, read it, but it is ultimately 8 years old and things can change. Also, there isn’t a whole lot of real detail by way of comparison - somebody who doesn’t own any of the different versions has just posted details from Google.

I've got a WE P226 and my daughter has a TM. I rate mine over hers, just  . . . . feels better. If you know what I mean.

13 minutes ago, DanBow said:

I've got a WE P226 and my daughter has a TM. I rate mine over hers, just  . . . . feels better. If you know what I mean.

I do. Bit like how I feel about P226 and G17… You must’ve got one of the decent ones then - from what I’ve been able to dig up, the WE model is 50/50 hit and miss.

My WE 226 is great. Usual M/L rubber , I key and hop wheel fitted, but I do that on all my pistols.

I have a KWA M226 LE, metal, good weight. So far I am very fond of it.

• 2 weeks later...

So my 2p, I have a second hand WE226, no idea how old, it's still good, decent range, weighty and the mags seem efficient. Not had the pleasure of the kwa or tm. If you are reaching for that peak, maybe it is the kwa you are looking for, or if you find a bargain you will be satisfied with the WE.

I've got at least one of each brand with P226, P228 and P229 models  ,

TM - shoots quite nice but feels dated and tacky now 

KJ - full metal but poor finish and a bit rattley

WE - actually one of WEs best models , nice finish , realistic feel and firing pin look , decent performance 

KWA - Nice finish , NS2 system just feels weak to shoot , bad markings 

VFC - stunning finish and performance but not so easy to track down (def my choice for the best)

I do have some other brands too but they aren't worth adding as they are either super expensive or rare these days

On 27/08/2024 at 13:08, 1st commando said:

I've got at least one of each brand with P226, P228 and P229 models  ,

TM - shoots quite nice but feels dated and tacky now 

KJ - full metal but poor finish and a bit rattley

WE - actually one of WEs best models , nice finish , realistic feel and firing pin look , decent performance 

KWA - Nice finish , NS2 system just feels weak to shoot , bad markings 

VFC - stunning finish and performance but not so easy to track down (def my choice for the best)

I do have some other brands too but they aren't worth adding as they are either super expensive or rare these days

Is the VFC one produced for Sig, who recently entered the airsoft market? I think they call them Proforce. Not widely available in the UK.

I agree about the KJW. That awful thick black finish on their Sigs is both ugly and fragile. And they do tend to rattle. I prefer the WE Sigs.  They look much better and have a great blowback.

I used to own a TM P226 and a WE P228.

The TM was and is still one of my favourite pistols I have owned but i do agree with the thoughts that by the time I sold it (a little over 10 years ago) it was feeling a little dated. It shot really well and was accurate though, I just wanted a change and it took a couple of misteps before settling on a TM M&P.

At one point I did miss the P226 and being a fan of NCIS I picked up a WE P228 for something similar but different. Really nice weight and feel to it and I liked how it felt more realistic being metal - the issue I ran into though was anytime I de-cocked the hammer it would fire! I may have just had a lemon but I sold it and it actually left me with a (with only one sample unfair tbh) impression of WE.

I had a WE 226 Rail a few years back but it didn't shoot that well. 

Took it apart to find this so sent it back.

Didn't want to risk getting another.

The weight, feel and controls were really good.

Screenshot 2024-08-30 110758.jpg

I know it cost a bit to achieve. But if your looking for something that not only looks and feels stunning. But will also stand the test of time. Then may I suggest a TM P226 with full guarder kit!

I ve got exactly that with the upgrades springs, hop up and blow back unit. 

Bought and put together by firesupport back in 2011. And never had an issue. And used it at weekend at NAF. 

1 hour ago, Darkmikey22 said:

Bought and put together by firesupport back in 2011. And never had an issue. And used it at weekend at NAF. 

I have always wondered about doing that myself - how well does it work in less than optimum weather conditions seeming it can be pretty chilly in the UK on even the nicer of days.

2 hours ago, callsign_ecto said:

I have always wondered about doing that myself - how well does it work in less than optimum weather conditions seeming it can be pretty chilly in the UK on even the nicer of days.

On the higher gas seems OK. Winter it does drop a little. But othe than hpa, not found a gbb pistol that doesn't drop slightly in winter. 

I did run on propane for a short while. 

But then you have to maintain the gun a bit more to stop it damaging the O rings. 

2 hours ago, BigAl said:

For ultimate look at TM with Prime Kit, hard to find though.

I've got a prime kit on another p226. 

Never had any issues to date. But the guarder body certainly looks sturdier. Which is weird as both ali and are similar size. May just be the paint coating playing tricks on the eyes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if I'm too late to help here, but all I can say is I've had great successes with my WE P226, I typically run it on red gas both winter and summer, it kicks and barks quite nicely, it's not the most accurate but then that's the price of the lovely WE package. My experience with the TM one was it felt almost, tacky? Wayyy lighter than the WE, did not give that "Holy hell" feeling. If I could, i'd chose the WE again, the mags are holding up well too, and having disassembled it, the internal parts seem of good quality. Anyway that's all I can say, hope this helped despite being a late reply