Why TM build quality is worth the price.

Brave, yes; foolhardy, no.

TM can shit itself too (cracked gearbox for example) and gearbox and internals are extremely complicated compared to an AEG or GBB. Lot of people refuse to work on them for good reasons.

Personally I couldn't justify to pay 600 pounds for an Marui electric shotgun or half of that for a Cyma in the of age of Saigas but even a cheap Golden Eagle is easier to fix if it leaks/breaks.

Edited by Krisz

• Head Moderator

How often do TM get advertised in the boneyard?  How well do TM keep their value. If you want something reliable out the box, TM does that. Buy quality buy once, buy cheap pay twice ;) 

I imagine a tm with issues is worth repairing given the prices new so won't turn up in the boneyard. Or TM have a different policy with regard to returns of faulties.

I have never once thought of the resale value of my Airsoft stuff, esp before I buy something.

All the guns I have bought have been reliable out of the box, none tm, but some cyma, SRC, AA some others. 

I don't believe there is anything objectively better with a TM, ppl chasing the best surface finish or trademarks that don't matter to me can buy what they will ofcourse, TM might have a better QC system, I don't know that either but the price differences are just way too much for there to be value in it for me.

The issue with TM is that they are designed for a specific market. Majority of that market is in Japan where joule limits are quite a bit lower. At that limit they are likely to last but once people start demanding more out of them that's where they start to struggle...

Edited by JVacation

16 hours ago, Krisz said:

TM can shit itself too (cracked gearbox for example) and gearbox and internals are extremely complicated compared to an AEG or GBB. Lot of people refuse to work on them for good reasons.

Personally I couldn't justify to pay 600 pounds for an Marui electric shotgun or half of that for a Cyma in the of age of Saigas but even a cheap Golden Eagle is easier to fix if it leaks/breaks.

Every thing can break. however how often do you see TM in  boneyards let alone 12 of the same model?

• Supporters

The SGR is definitely an outlier and not a good one to bring up to debate the general worthiness of TM as a brand I'd say.  Like I don't think there's a lot of the original line of bog standard TM AEGs with plastic bodies from the early 00s (ish) still in use, but years ago I can remember meeting a few people who were claiming to have left them stock and fired obscene amounts of bbs through them with little to no parts breakage at all.  Also with decent range and accuracy for the low power.  I can't say personally I've ever seen someone online regretting buying any of the common NGRS, GBB pistols or rifles, leaving them stock and just using them roughly in line with the way they were designed.    They're not perfect and there's a few products that are more complex and more prone to issues, but they're the exception and not the rule for sure.

TM AEGs aren't worth it imo.

Yes they work as advertised out of the box, yes the assembly quality is great and there are barely any cases of short term malfunctions but...

Once they break they are kind of a nightmare to properly fix without throwing away half the internals.

A teammate had this CRW high cycle M4 that worked really well for a couple of years and then stripped the piston.

Now there is fuck all left of the original parts inside, I think the motor and tappet plate spring are the only survivors, we had to change the gearbox shell, gears, arl, trigger contacts, piston head, cylinder head, cylinder, nozzle, tappet plate. Everything basically. I provided many parts free of charge because he's a friend, but damn, if he was to pay for all of them it would have been stupid expensive considering how much he paid for the gun in the first place.

Same goes for the vsr, by the time one has done all the steps to make it last/bear 2 joules of energy he will be left with the whole innards being outside of the gun body.

GBBPs and NBBs otoh are fantastic and don't really need anything except for a hop rubber if running heavy BBs.

Can't comment on NGRS because I don't like the idea of recoil and blowback on an electric so you'll never see me own one.

Edited by Skara

my SGR turned up today and it's in bits right now. seems to be a cut off lever issue. trying to figure it out now.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, TheFull9 said:

The SGR is definitely an outlier and not a good one to bring up to debate the general worthiness of TM as a brand I'd say.  Like I don't think there's a lot of the original line of bog standard TM AEGs with plastic bodies from the early 00s (ish) still in use, but years ago I can remember meeting a few people who were claiming to have left them stock and fired obscene amounts of bbs through them with little to no parts breakage at all.  Also with decent range and accuracy for the low power.  I can't say personally I've ever seen someone online regretting buying any of the common NGRS, GBB pistols or rifles, leaving them stock and just using them roughly in line with the way they were designed.    They're not perfect and there's a few products that are more complex and more prone to issues, but they're the exception and not the rule for sure.

I'm one, tm M4S, at least 21 years of use, never serviced, same hop rubber ffs, used by me & numerous mates when theirs failed mid gameday,

Never missed a beat 🤞🙊