Storage. Not pews but everything else...

Morning Clan.

How we all doing? Good in your hood? Cool.

So last night i went looking for something. Nothing of particular importance but i looked at the pile of stuff that i have amassed and thought, like frankie after he got to hollywood, "theres got to be a better way".

All my pews are on slatboard, which is nice. Obviously SWMBO isnt keen but i care not as this is the games room and its mine. 

However, all the associated detritus that goes along with a pew seems to be now taking over and fills half the floor and a large plastic box (remember COD zombies? the jingly box... :) ) . Me and both my boys play, so we have a fair amount of STUFF. 

How do people store all their gear? My camo gear is in a drawer, thats no problem but webbing, hats, tools, mags, gas, balls, projects, all that good stuff that we like to accumulate.....

Ive been looking on BIGDUG and places like that for ideas but interior design is her thing and she'll just skip the lot if she got a chance... :D 

Pic shows the slat board and also the top of the jingly box, the plastic box of console games should be moving shortly to the other side of the room, BUT, STUFFFFF!! JUST STUFFF!!!!! 

PXL_20231214_220908648.jpg

I wonder if you just need a bigger house with a 2nd gun room... 

I have similar problems but my challenge isnt so much how to store stuff (I just use a chest of drawers) but how to categorise and organise it. You could organise by platform, brand, part type etc. I have 2 boxes of parts but each part well labelled in a zip lock bag. I have to empty the box every time I need to find something but at least I only have 2 boxes to deal with.

Bbs and gas just stay in the kit bag I take out when playing, and mags have their own drawer. 

Watching this thread with interest to see what other people do :)

I have two wardrobes for my guns and vests etc.

Under the bed I have a 5.11 range bag that holds mags and pistols,it's bloody heavy so I decant what I need on the day.

It works for me, and Mrs Shamal is happy cause it's not in her way.🙂

If you google "gun room interior design" there are loads of impressive looking examples, the vast majority of them seem to follow this formula:

• Cabinets lower half
  • Display racks upper half
  • Colour / material coordinated
  • Integrated lighting

In your case maybe it is a matter of organising what is below the slatboards, maybe with some cabinets

Maybe convert to a vertical gun rack for better efficiency

Or even remove half the wall rack and put in taller cabinets, since half of your wall rack is stuff that shouldn't be on the wall anyway

4 minutes ago, Pseudotectonic said:

If you google "gun room interior design" there are loads of impressive looking examples, the vast majority of them seem to follow this formula:

• Cabinets lower half
  • Display racks upper half
  • Colour / material coordinated
  • Integrated lighting

In your case maybe it is a matter of organising what is below the slatboards, maybe with some cabinets

Maybe convert to a vertical gun rack for better efficiency

Or even remove half the wall rack and put in taller cabinets, since half of your wall rack is stuff that shouldn't be on the wall anyway

You know, that aint a bad idea. I hadnt thought of that. :) 

I was looking at the open square type shelving units with boxes in so i can label them too. 

Vertical is a damn fine shout though sir. 👍

Pews are in a metal cabinate, BBs , grenades and batteries are in ammo boxes on top , gas also on top in a normal box. Shelf in the top of the cabinate holds radio's spare optics and the box mags for LMGs and side arms. Mags and spare parts etc are in a couple of sets of metal draws stacked vertically next to the cabinate. Tac vest on a hanger on the wall . Those are in the garage, BDUs are in my wardrobe folded up, one draw takes care of socks, belts, patches , gloves etc.

Honestly I have no constructive advice to give, but if you want to feel better about your own situation, I have a roughly 2m x 3m room into which I cram:

* My WFH office setup, so desk, 3 screens, printer, couple of laptops

* Mine and the boys RIFs and assorted ammo, gas, optics etc etc

* 3 x 1/10 RC touring cars, tools, spare bodies, wheels, transmitters

* Motorcycle gear

* Electric guitar and amp

Each unique 'hobby' more or less has its own space, so everything is in one place, but it all has to get sorted out in a roughly 1m square of carpet if I'm going to use any of it that day.

Here it is in today's game-day chaos.  Thankfully all this will be in the boot of the car shortly and then once done it will get stacked up behind the office door.  Thus my RIF storage is limited by how many gun cases you can fit behind the door and still open it.

IMG_4154.jpeg

Edited by Gunboat Diplomat

Pews on the walls, kit in cheap box thingies, webbing etc hanging under pews & the floor usually strewn with detritis.

Not recent pics but same idea currently.

393605922_23986897670925642_7159297194403278946_n.jpg

348221550_810785007031620_8703394846923870524_n.jpg

36 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

Pews on the walls, kit in cheap box thingies, webbing etc hanging under pews & the floor usually strewn with detritis.

Not recent pics but same idea currently.

393605922_23986897670925642_7159297194403278946_n.jpg

348221550_810785007031620_8703394846923870524_n.jpg

Aug. Check

P90. Check.

Famas. Check .

🤣🤣🤣

Love it. 😁

17 minutes ago, Egon_247 said:

Aug. Check

P90. Check.

Famas. Check .

🤣🤣🤣

My current view (avoiding as much of the detritis as possible).

448552240_25768214256127299_6810589351301690875_n.jpg

448496321_25768213499460708_4004253191275799444_n.jpg

Posted (edited)

Jeeeesus. I thought I had issues.🤣🤣🤣

That auto9 landed yet? 😁

You pretty much have every pew on my mental list of things to buy!!!

Edited by Egon_247

6 minutes ago, Egon_247 said:

That auto9 landed yet? 😁

Arrived this week, just not displayed yet.

3 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

My current view (avoiding as much of the detritis as possible).

448552240_25768214256127299_6810589351301690875_n.jpg

448496321_25768213499460708_4004253191275799444_n.jpg

Bloody cool, but lacks a pith helmet...  ;)  

Posted (edited)

Ok, so looking at gav's set up i need to invest in some slatwall clothes hangers too. I'm liking these. A LOT.

And maybe another 100 or so pews. :D LOL

(edit, oh shi*, may have just bought another two....) 

@gavinkempsell your pistols, are they just on single sticky outy rods that poke down the barrels? 

And TPH is correct, you may need a pith helmet in there... :lol:

Edited by Egon_247

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, Daveoc33 said:

I want to know what kind of industrial fittings are holding that slat wall up. It must weigh an absolute ton! 

Gridwall, but yeah they can hold quite a bit

image.thumb.jpeg.657a7b43a5bde134c78eb8bf99c7f216.jpeg

Each panel (there's two there) has four "hooks" that each have four screws in them. Seeing as @gavinkempsell has his all nice and arranged only a single layer deep, the weight will be more spread out too.

Grid wall is a great multi use method.

We use it in many ways trading at Comicons and festivals, shows etc

When outside we zip tie grid wall to the gazebo frame, and when inside use a combination of ‘raw’ grid wall and grid wall with fitted feet, some on the floor, some clamped to tables.

At events Enola have had grid walls ziptied together in fours forming a ‘tunnel’ / display table

There’s an abundance of fittings with hooks, shelves, baskets etc

As were mobile we don’t use the wall hooks in a wall mount as @Lozarthas, but we do have some fitted to the van which we don’t use for the grid wall but do use for hanging other things.

Ours came as a job lot from a shop clearance and we’ve added some extra fittings 

The wall fittings don’t necessarily have to support the weight, e.g. stand the grid wall on the floor and fit the hooks on the wall at the right heights.

Another option I’ve seen is to use custom overhaning ‘hooks’ over a door/‘wall’ and hang the grid from that  

……

For my gear/equipment needs it’s a matter of storage / logistics boxes.

Some is sorted by type of event, some by item.  Eg I have a box full of pistols, a box of melee weapons for one of our event types, a box full of marshaling (hi-vis, whistles etc).

But I may also just unload the car and end up with a box of ‘last event I went to’

18 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Bloody cool, but lacks a pith helmet...  ;)  

How dare you Sir...

448637648_25775738025374922_3572382191956126582_n.jpg

11 hours ago, Egon_247 said:

@gavinkempsell your pistols, are they just on single sticky outy rods that poke down the barrels? 

I use straight hangers with the hook cut off & smoothed using a dremel, some barrels are tighter than others so there's been a genuine concern about scratching the inner barrels, it's worth the risk to me as 95% of my collection will never be used in a game & I like them displayed this way.

9 hours ago, Daveoc33 said:

I want to know what kind of industrial fittings are holding that slat wall up. It must weigh an absolute ton!

Each bracket has 4 screws holding it on & they're a good 4 inches deep (fnar) in the wall. As my collection has grown I've increased the wall cover with grids which means it's a bit too random for my ocd (ish), I'll eventually move my entire collection to my diningroom/son's bedroom (once my son get's his own place), I'll make sure the grid wall goes from the base boards to the ceiling so it's done right first time.

Edited by gavinkempsell

9 hours ago, Lozart said:

Each panel (there's two there) has four "hooks" that each have four screws in them. Seeing as @gavinkempsell has his all nice and arranged only a single layer deep, the weight will be more spread out too.

Thanks, FYI I have my clothing/armour on these brackets (noticed yours bending due to weight), was looking at baskets like you use for my spare mags too.

Well Jell of your Scar UGL.

https://www.shopfittingwarehouse.co.uk/fixtures-fittings/grid-mesh-system/hooks-rails-arms/hanging-rails-arms/7-ball-sloping-display-arm-for-grid-mesh-panels/

Edited by gavinkempsell

1 hour ago, gavinkempsell said:

Thanks, FYI I have my clothing/armour on these brackets (noticed yours bending due to weight), was looking at baskets like you use for my spare mags too.

https://www.shopfittingwarehouse.co.uk/fixtures-fittings/grid-mesh-system/hooks-rails-arms/hanging-rails-arms/7-ball-sloping-display-arm-for-grid-mesh-panels/

I can confirm that those hanger hangers won’t bend

Posted (edited)

Ok. Minor update: tried all the pews vertical. Seemed sketchy as hell, so took them all off and started again. 

Even managed to get the new shotgun up there.

It's Like expensive Tetris. 🤣

I've managed to bin a load of toot that I had hanging around (the famas might be in there soon if I can't get it working properly!) .

Progress..... tomorrow at work I'm gonna cut down some slatwall brackets to do the pistol sticking out of the wall thing (they're 4.7mm so should be fine) and then it's clear up of the rest time....

PXL_20240617_204413066.jpg

PXL_20240617_204416635.jpg

Edited by Egon_247
Photos merged, looked like one big ass mess.🤣

• Supporters
20 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

I looked at the "ball hangers" (fnarr) but as you can probably, tell my racking is behind a door and I'm not convinced they'll let me open the door properly. Any chance you can measure yours from the grid to the tip (not the rail length, just how far it sticks out)?

All you guys posting up pics of your collections are making me feel grossly inadequate and deprived. I'm wondering if I actually have an interest in guns or airsofting or am I just pretending. 😂😂

Regards

Ps.

This post was about storage not how many feckin' guns you can get in a picture 😂

Edited by Shamal
Addition

Where's the fun in that? 😁🤣

All Airsofters collect stuff to go with each pew so theoretically there should be loads of STUFF for loads of pews.

Well, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. 🤣🤣🤣