Specna Arms motor upgrade?

Hi folks. My first post here and a beginner in AEG upgrades.

I've purchased a Specna Arms Edge SA-E07-L and after a few game days I may potentially look at simple-ish ways to improve trigger response.

I'm looking for the snappiest trigger and satisfying trigger I can find without getting too complex at this moment in time. I'm not extremely bothered about rate of fire (within reasonable limits). When I'm a little more confident in gun tech I will venture further into the weapon but for now, what motor will provide this while also not shredding my weapons internals? I've heard good things about the SHS high torque motor but how would this fair in my case?

For reference; I'm in the UK and I believe the weapon ships with an M90 spring installed but I have purchased an M105 spring and will be testing that out with the quick change spring system. I also intend to use an 11.1v LIPO. I'm not an experienced airsoft tech so any information is helpful. Thank you.

Edit: I do also have in my possesion an Ifrit 25k motor from a parts & spares G&G. How would this compare to the motor installed in my Specna and would it be compatible? This is a long shaft motor

• Supporters

Ahoy and welcome. Just about any aftermarket motor is going to be better than just about any stock one.  The SHS is well regarded, as is the XT from AK2M4.  Personally, I use Big Dragon M140 motors from AliExpress as I'm a cheapskate and chisel every penny.

Dunno about the Ifrit, but it's easy enough chuck it in and see. Most long shaft motors will fit most AR grips and V2 gearboxes, although there's no real standard and you might find that it's tighter or looser or a slightly different length or needs the spade connectors crimped down or opened up or...  Chuck it in and see, the only consideration is matching the +ve contact, which should be marked with a red post next to it, to the +ve wire, and then adjusting the motor height if necessary with the screw in the base plate - just go by the sound, you'll hear it screeching on either side of spot-on.  You don't need any tools beyond a screwdriver, and ideally some needle nosed pliers to fit and remove the connectors and wiggle it out.

11.1V will help significantly, even with the stock motor, so again, try it and see. You already have have an X-ASR mosfet to protect the trigger contacts and prevent arcing. You might experience double-shots on semi (where the motor spins so fast that it completes another cycle even after the trigger trolley resets).  Fitting the M105 might sort that, or it might not, and you might only see it with a meatier motor (or you might not).  There's only one way to find out.

Battery, spring and motor are pretty easy. If you do want to take it further, you're looking at a pre-cocking mosfet like a Perun AB++ which means some soldering (and you might as well replace all the wiring with thicker stuff while you're doing that), and/or short stroking, and/or fiddling with the gearing.  Just be aware that you'll start spending more and more to chase smaller and smaller improvements.  I find with a Big Dragon M140, 11.1V and a mosfet and decent wiring, that even a stock gearbox will cycle about as fast as my mags can feed.

Hello and welcome.

I have the specna and the trigger on mime is pretty good. 

When you say 'snappiest and most satisfying' what are you actually looking for?

Are you looking for a trigger that you don't have to pull,just touch cause I hear this a lot and don't understand 🤔

Are you maybe after a lighter trigger? But again I've never known an Airsoft aeg trigger to be hard to pull. 

All of my guns are pretty much instant. When I pull the trigger it fires. There maybe milli seconds compared to another gun but it's fast enough for me lol

I'm not sure but maybe there is an optical trigger available which wouldn't need any pulling of triggers.

Enjoy and call your hits 🙂

• Supporters

I'd assume the time from tickling the trigger to spurting balls.  In CQB particularly, those milliseconds can sometimes count.  Stock Specnas on 7.4V aren't bad, but you can make them spinnier.

Hi

The IFRIT is a fairly decent motor so defaintely worth trying that out.  Most popular motor I sell is the XT 22TPA, then it's the SHS HT - from what I can tell they've reduced the speed by 15% making it more torquetastic which is a good thing.

Battery wise is always a little more complicated.  It's so hard to tell you exactly what to buy because there's so many variables involved.  It's about experimenting little to see what works best.  

57 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

It's so hard to tell you exactly what to buy because there's so many variables involved.

^^ This.

First establish what you want from your toy gun, then look at the different options..

G&G motors aren't spectacular but since yours is "free", I'd give it a try and see how it goes.

In any case stay clear of high speed motors, all they do is stress your batteries for no reason.

I would put money on it that the X-ASR will shit itself with a motor that pulls any more amps than the stock one.

Allegedly the X-ASR V2 has resolved the issue - at the expense of removing the reverse polarity protection that was present in the V1.

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I would put money on it that the X-ASR will shit itself with a motor that pulls any more amps than the stock one.

Maaaybe. Mine pets its lip with 11.1V, a Big Dragon M160 and an M120 spring in a DMR build.  Remove any of those factors (7.4V, or stock motor, or M90/M100-ish spring) and it'll cope. They're poor units though, and clearly only there to tick the "has mosfet" box.

29 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Maaaybe. Mine pets its lip with 11.1V, a Big Dragon M160 and an M120 spring in a DMR build.  Remove any of those factors (7.4V, or stock motor, or M90/M100-ish spring) and it'll cope. They're poor units though, and clearly only there to tick the "has mosfet" box.

SHS High Torque/M100 Spring/7.4V LiPo. Lasted one game day before the error LEDs went into christmas tree mode with gun stopping every half dozen shots.

It was an Early Edge model though, with an early production X-ASR. But I wouldn't trust the V1s for reliability. At least they are plug'n'play meaning that V2 could be dropped-in easily.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

SHS High Torque/M100 Spring/7.4V LiPo. Lasted one game day before the error LEDs went into christmas tree mode with gun stopping every half dozen shots.

It was an Early Edge model though, with an early production X-ASR. But I wouldn't trust the V1s for reliability. At least they are plug'n'play meaning that V2 could be dropped-in easily.

This is worrying to see as I have an Specna Arms Edge SA-E03 with this setup of motor, spring and use 7.4v lipo.

Only ran so far on one half day session with the SHS HT motor. is there a way of telling what version I have? 

Bought the gun back in July 2020

Edited by Caj109

Honestly I'd use the Ifrit with 13:1s and 11.1 or 7.4 and call it a day.

Posted (edited)
On 29/05/2024 at 20:51, Pseudotectonic said:

oh nonono SHS_hightorque_is_not_hightorque.png

SHS high torque is 16 TPA, it is low torque

Get a 22 TPA if you can, and when you are ready pop a 13:1 in there, or better yet a Perun Hybrid and turn on precocking

Yeah, here here and all that;

Budget motors

ASG Infinity 18k (28 TPA)

ASG Infinity 22k (22 TPA)

Gears

SHS 13:1 or 12:1 gears

MOSFET

Perun Hybrid V2 precocking etc

Edit: Batteries wise an EDGE can take an 11.1v stock and that'll instantly increase trigger response over a 7.4v so unless you have one find an 11.1v from any of these companies: Zeee, GensAce, Turnigy, CNHL (China Hobby Line), Racedayquads (RDQ), Tattu, GNB (Gaoneng), Auline or Ovonics

This is just to have a guarantee of legitimate rating claims and cell quality, there are others but this is a trusted list :)

Edited by B4by_Dr1v3r
Battery recommendations

• Supporters
50 minutes ago, B4by_Dr1v3r said:

Budget motors

ASG Infinity 18k (28 TPA)

ASG Infinity 22k (22 TPA)

I presume you mean the "Boost" range, rather than the "Ultimate CNC" range? Although personally, I wouldn't call the Boost motors an upgrade.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lozart said:

I presume you mean the "Boost" range, rather than the "Ultimate CNC" range? Although personally, I wouldn't call the Boost motors an upgrade.

This range, mostly known as ASG Infinity (just as that's what's on the side) but sometimes with the added Ultimate in shop listings, yeah.

proxy-image (3).jpeg

proxy-image (2).jpeg

Edited by B4by_Dr1v3r

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, B4by_Dr1v3r said:

This range, mostly known as ASG Infinity (just as that's what's on the side) but sometimes with the added Ultimate in shop listings, yeah.

proxy-image (3).jpeg

proxy-image (2).jpeg

Playing a bit fast and loose with the use of the word "budget" there, aren't you? They average anywhere between £65-£80 a pop! Great motors and I've used a few myself but I wouldn't call them a budget option.

17 hours ago, Lozart said:

Playing a bit fast and loose with the use of the word "budget" there, aren't you? They average anywhere between £65-£80 a pop! Great motors and I've used a few myself but I wouldn't call them a budget option.

Yeah, true there - should've just said motor recommendations in general, they're pricey but worth it over other budget options if you save up for one in the long run.