What sight?

Alex34

So, in the market for a new sight. My old 552 replica is pants, plus it took a BB to the face last night.

I really like the Vortex Crosshair red dot, as well as the Holy Warrior S1... more so the Vorex for obvious reasons.

However, i was thinking of running a scope plus canted reflex sight... something like in the attached picture.

Now I would love to get Vortex everything but I don't want to spend a tonne of money. Are the Aim-O type ACOG + RMR sights decent? Or any of the ACOG replicas for that matter?

Also, Reflex sights, are any of the Strike Systems type sights any good?

I'd rather spend a little more if it means getting something that is actually fit for purpose but don't want to get silly. The vortex Reflex sights I've seen are pushing £300+.

There's also the red dot + magnifier option for the Holy Warrior S1 and the Vortex Crosshair.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FMGc5DNXIAM0XRz.jpg

I'd go the vortex route personally. I've been using real steal optics for a long time and the difference is very obvious and I wouldn't go back. In fact the vortex crossfire is what'd be going for if my current optic dies but for the sake of domestic peace its not been done yet. 

Regards the magnifier, I'm sure it'd be a better setup performance wise using a lesser spec magnifier on a good optic than a pair of cheaper units.

• Supporters

The big issue with canted sights is that the hop will fire the BB off to the left if you lean the gun over.

That said, I have canted irons on my SR25k and I've had reasonable results with a canted Docter/RMR style sight too. Personally I run a Vector Optics Sphinx on the top of my LPVO and that works well.

image.jpeg.5a9791ec07909ce60510c14962caf5cc.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Lozart said:

The big issue with canted sights is that the hop will fire the BB off to the left if you lean the gun over.

That said, I have canted irons on my SR25k and I've had reasonable results with a canted Docter/RMR style sight too. Personally I run a Vector Optics Sphinx on the top of my LPVO and that works well.

I've tried and failed with canted irons for the reasons you state - and no adjusting of the sights could compensate for the skewiff hop effect at any useful range. But conceivably, with a canted re dot, it might be possible to utilise without actually canting the rifle - especially if (against conventional wisdom) it were to be mounted to the left of a (right handed set up) rifle?

2 hours ago, concretesnail said:

I'd go the vortex route personally. I've been using real steal optics for a long time and the difference is very obvious and I wouldn't go back. In fact the vortex crossfire is what'd be going for if my current optic dies but for the sake of domestic peace its not been done yet. 

Regards the magnifier, I'm sure it'd be a better setup performance wise using a lesser spec magnifier on a good optic than a pair of cheaper units.

Yeah, I am leaning towards real steal. If I didn't care about budget then this post would be irrelevant. I could out of hand with the spending if I don't keep myself in check😂.

Thought about using the Holy Warrior magnifier and the Vortex Red Dot to keep cost (somewhat) down.

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

image.jpeg.5a9791ec07909ce60510c14962caf5cc.jpeg

I did think of that but I do find myself tilting my rifle °30-ish quiet often as I maneuver around objects, etc. Close quarters is fine but at longer distances, yeah... the BBs tend to veer off.

1 hour ago, The_Lord_Poncho said:

I've tried and failed with canted irons for the reasons you state - and no adjusting of the sights could compensate for the skewiff hop effect at any useful range. But conceivably, with a canted re dot, it might be possible to utilise without actually canting the rifle - especially if (against conventional wisdom) it were to be mounted to the left of a (right handed set up) rifle?

Interesting...🤔

Edited by Alex34

• Supporters

This is how my SR and my M14s are set up:

image.thumb.jpeg.3f14368f2e2e724d739e5b285cdbf0b0.jpeg

Stops you having to lean the gun and is quicker to get back on the scope when you need to.

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

This is how my SR and my M14s are set up:

image.thumb.jpeg.3f14368f2e2e724d739e5b285cdbf0b0.jpeg

Stops you having to lean the gun and is quicker to get back on the scope when you need to.

Is that an LVPO scope?

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Alex34 said:

Is that an LVPO scope?

Yep. Vector Optics Mustang.

Plenty scopes in the classifieds today, see if there's anything you like the look of.

Holy Warrior is probably one of the best Eotech clone out there so I'd say it's a good investment overall. For half of the price you could try a Sotac instead.

Edited by Krisz

The vortex crossfire red dot is a great red dot. 

You can get the holy warrior T2 with a nice mount for around 50% of the price and it's very good as well. 

If you like the eotech size window then the holy warrior S1 is great. 

Holy warrior is much cheaper if imported, mine came in around £40 including the scalar works clone mount and postage and I've see UK retailers charging £75. 

Another option would be an lpvo with a red dot mounted directly on top, check out the new ks1 optic that is being issued to special forces as an example, there are Airsoft clones of similar available.

Other than for PID, magnification ok optics in Airsoft for me is a bit pointless. 

Edited by Emergencychimps

Watch out, there's quite a difference between the various Holy Warrior sights... most of them are on a par with the Sotac (that I own), it's just the more expensive S1 that is a level above.

I had a thread about the various Eotech clones, where the debate didn't quite get heated as such, but rose above room temperature, where the main bone of contention was the acceptable level of parallax on a sight. 

I contend(ed) that parallax might look horrible at short range, but once you're at 15m+ then it's really not worth worrying about given the inherent accuracy limits of our BB guns.
I empirically remain 'unfussed' as the camo-painted-to-match-the-gun sight on my fave AEG is an £8 Eotech knock-off from Action Hobbies' boneyard!  But I have noticed at least one of my red dots isn't great when shifting viewpoint vertically, even when focusing out at distance.   So ... something to bear in mind.

Good video here... 

I've just bought yet another cheapo boneyard sight - a T1/2 clone to replace a dying one from my collection, but if I ever spend any 'proper' money again on a better sight - it'll be a Vortex Crossfire.

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/vortex-crossfire-2-moa-red-dot-sight

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

I’ve got the Vortex Crossfire II LPVO and I can really recommend it. Not the red dot you are after but you can use it as one with the 1 times magnification.