Happy New Year...well it was.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Happy New year chaps and chappesses.  Got back from the land of the little people so feeling a bit zoned out.

Thought I'd have a look at my beloved Specna as it sounded awful last game day and wasn't feeding.  Was hoping it was the tappet spring again but no:

Compress_20240112_145209_9791.thumb.jpg.fa5ebe7075d3c458289f6fb968632e12.jpg

So that's Donald Ducked.

The two spare boxes i have dont quite fit for different reasons,  so off to Cage Airsoft it goes for dealing with it (wiring harness is fecked too).

Looking forward to a skirmish day, but Spec Ops isn't open until Feb, so maybe South Herts or AWA.

Hope everyone had a good break?

Edited by Dan Robinson

Is that gearbox radiused? It's too late for that though. 

35 minutes ago, Krisz said:

It is as it came from Specna, and the older version of their box so I doubt it.  I suspect it is my fault by putting in a larger spring (although it was within joule limits when chrono' d); and/or a brief and brave morning with an 11.1 battery.   The last time it worked "properly", it was shooting like a laser.  But hindsight is 20-20 as they say.

I was trying different springs - an M120, and M110 (which I think was in it before) and the one it was shipped with.

@ak2m4 don't seem to have much in stock which is a shame - I wasn't planning on blowing £140 on a gearbox shell, so open to suggestions from the panel on what may be a more sensible option.

Patrolbase have the Orion gearbox in stock-ish so wondering if they have sorted it out since Luke panned it a few years ago, they also have the Delta Armory one.  Then there's the "Ultimate Gearbox Version 2", but I can't seen what it's made of.

I'd guess the stronger spring and 11.1 were too much for a standard shell.

You probably had a poor air seal so compensating with a heavier spring is not the way to go.

Personally I would never use an 11.1 in a standard gearbox but I hate high rof builds anyway. 😉

• Supporters

This is why TM have always been so reliable, stock they don't aim to be the most powerful, nor the highest rate of fire, in return they virtually never self destruct, instead they just keep doing what their supposed to. 

There a lesson in there somewhere 😏

1 hour ago, EDcase said:

I'd guess the stronger spring and 11.1 were too much for a standard shell.

You probably had a poor air seal

Spring, shimming and air seal were done at the same time as repairing it when the tappet spring went pop.  So a case of too much at once. 😪

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

There a lesson in there somewhere 😏

Indeed, once basic upgrades, then essential repairs are added up, there's a shiny new TM in there somewhere - but then it wouldn't be airsoft, and this is my first pew.  So there is a bit of sentimental value there too.  Thinking back, not much needed doing to the gun out of the box bar shimming, and air seal.  Once operational again, I might try the OEM spring again and see just how much the shim and seal would have done on it's own.

Edited by Dan Robinson

Ouch!  Poor gearbox.  How long did you run the M120 in it?

2 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

I think I got the equivalent of a day's skirmish out of it once you factor in the swapping around the other pews.  

That might well be enough.  I am intrigued by the apparently rusty front body pin.

39 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

The Ultimate Gearbox is a Lonex rebrand, very nice part but no QD spring sadly.  Orion probably best bet but quite high with the shipping from EU etc.  Delta Armoury looks good enough and decent price.  

No QD kills that one off as an option really.  I take your website stock levels are accurate?

25 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

I was looking at that red gearbox...  Quite like the look of the Titan with "low ammo warning" etc.  But is the Orion a decent platform now?

18 minutes ago, Pseudotectonic said:

I'm surprised m120 can do the Orion in,

The broken box is not the Orion, just a standard V2.

Edited by Dan Robinson

14 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

No QD kills that one off as an option really.  I take your website stock levels are accurate?

Rough'ish, just waiting on lots of stuff to arrive but with Chinese holidays round the corner might be slow going.  So a good time to work on new website and do some product design stuff that I've been meaning to get around to.  Really want to stock some decent well priced qd gearbox shells but the age old problem is compatibility and availability.  Trying hard though to work with existing suppliers to make a few adjustments.   

• Supporters

Sorry to see that. The Orion boxes are notorious for it, even though they're radiused from the sweatshop.

I'm running a 2021 example as a DMR at 1.4J just to see how long it lasts.  I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

It's rather perverse that they come fitted with an M120 spring that's likely to wreck them sooner rather than later.

7 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Sorry to see that. The Orion boxes are notorious for it, even though they're radiused from the sweatshop.

I'm running a 2021 example as a DMR at 1.4J just to see how long it lasts.  I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

It's rather perverse that they come fitted with an M120 spring that's likely to wreck them sooner rather than later.

Seems the new Orions are no better than my standard V2 then.  Still, would that red one be worth the £90 if only for the cylinder,  Titan and trigger?  Tye can be transplanted once again when the time comes?  Would only be running git at standard AEG limits. 

Edited by Dan Robinson

1 hour ago, Dan Robinson said:

Seems the new Orions are no better than my standard V2 then.  Still, would that red one be worth the £90 if only for the cylinder,  Titan and trigger?  Tye can be transplanted once again when the time comes?  Would only be running git at standard AEG limits. 

I would not use an Orion gearbox, but if that is what fits in your RIF...

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

I do think it's helpful of Specna to have named their gearbox, so that we can know what to avoid.

Would rather they spent the marketing budget on a few microns extra material.... or perhaps use a.real metal.

The hunt continues... 😕 

On 13/01/2024 at 11:54, Krisz said:

Just double checked and it had been radiused.  Which is disturbing too.  How much difference is there really in the different options not from a specific metal?

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I do think it's helpful of Specna to have named their gearbox, so that we can know what to avoid.

It is very kind of them.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.