Homemade bb catcher for target practice

ParHunter

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

After seeing people using Gousto boxes as bb catchers on another thread I thought I share what I’ve done for my Airsoft shooting range in the garden. I didn’t use Gousto but Hello Fresh packing material.

I’ve used a 60x120cm MDF board and screwed on 1x2 in boards. I then filled it with the packing material from Hello Fresh that they use to keep the meat cold (see first picture).

In the bottom of the frame I left a small gap so when I tilt the 

image.thumb.png.cf554216a5712b80ba302a47674404a0.png

image.thumb.png.9266affcf54089e82ae38d271e50d64f.png

image.thumb.jpeg.2c5022d9de85632ef93840fd9014ce0c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.56efd6393df29163a2bd023c391c5179.jpeg

I don’t shoot from very close (4-10m) but the bbs just stay in the bb catcher and at the end I just tilt the board and the bbs roll out on the side into a bin.

Please share your ideas for target practice at home or in the garden

Airgun shooters are using Plumbers Mait from screwfix to line their targets - it acts like a non-newtonian fluid to dissipate the projectile energy without ricochets. Infinitely reusable if you flick the BB's out every now and then.

Mine's not half as robust as that - it's an Amazon box full of scrunched up newspaper and I keep adding layers to the back when the BBs start going all the way through.

Plus side is it's portable and I can keep it under my desk, which is also handy as my 'range' is a combination of the youngest's bedroom, the landing and our bedroom - not that Mrs M knows that!! Hardly one for the snipers but it means I can test things and - with a bit of help from the internet and lines on a bit of paper - check the zero on my red dots.

Still trying to figure out what this magical transparent material is that can drop BBs straight down on impact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rokdTjypBg4&t=90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek9A6fgiKAE&t=37

My current guess is some sort of 3 mm PVC sheet but not entirely sure, perhaps the way it is held around the edge with velcro also has something to do with it

I have a plan to make a plywood box, with a large 'kentucky' style mop head suspended inside to slow and trap the BB's, and with channels in the front edges of the box into which replacement sheets of appropriately sized cardboard can occasionally be slid. But for the past two years after conceiving this plan, I've been making do with a cardboard box stuffed with bubble wrap!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.