Which MP5 SD6 to go for?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I love the look of the MP5 SD6 (probably from playing COD4 back in the day) and want to pick up an AEG version.

I play on a woodland site so would like to get as much range as possible out of the gun, i'm not actually to worried about rof.

I'm happy to get new gears put in, shimmed and a brushless motor (Just to make it a bit quieter), longer barrel run into the suppressor, bucking, piston, spring etc etc and anything else needed to get as much range as possible and make the gun as quiet as an AEG can be lol - so the question is what would be a good base model?

TM AEG (not the NGRS), Cyma, ICS, VFC or G&G?

Any upgrades you think i'll need that i've missed above to achieve this? 

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

Edited by Frank Castle

If you are not going to go NRGS I would go ICS or Classic Army. However what ever you upgrade you are not going to make any significant reduction in noise.

Edited by BigStew

Thanks BigStew + Esoterick, appreciate the replies :). 

I was hoping the noise would be more of the TM P90 TR which does seem quieter than most AEG's, maybe its just a different type of sound rather than the whine some AEG's can make?

Would you stay away from the plastic ICS's or are they pretty solid these days?

Cheers.

39 minutes ago, Frank Castle said:

Thanks BigStew + Esoterick, appreciate the replies :). 

I was hoping the noise would be more of the TM P90 TR which does seem quieter than most AEG's, maybe its just a different type of sound rather than the whine some AEG's can make?

Would you stay away from the plastic ICS's or are they pretty solid these days?

Cheers.

The MP5 plastic bodies are all right, body  creak is over exaggerated. their advantage is they are significantly lighter than the metal bodies. The issues with the original TM MP5 and therefore all the clones is the hop unit and the adjustment arm which is very prone to being knocked out of place. Hence why if I was to get a  new MP5 I would go NRGS (believe me tring to justify it to myself at the moment) The P90 has a lot of air gap between the body and gearbox so you get some noise dampening. I have heard of people insulating their P90 with foam to muffle the noise but I'd be worried about setting the thing on fire.

So is there anyway to rectify the issue of the hop unit/adjustment arm to stop that movement from happening or will even a new unit/arm not even solve that problem due to the make up/design of the MP5 body?

I'd love the NGRS but for the price i'm not to sure i can justify it when i don't get to play enough plus i have seen a few videos where effective range is max 40m where i'd like it to be closer to 60m (if possible) for it to be viable at the site i go to. (hence the cheaper MP5 option but upgraded).

You can put O rings on to make it stiffer I believe that's CYMAs work around. The problem is it's one of TMs earliest Hop designs they have made great strides and I'll put money on the NRGS having better range than the other MP5s. If you really want light weight,  compact and above average range I would really look at the P90 over the MP5.

Ahh i did toy with the TM P90 TR but preferred the look of the MP5 SD6 but your right, the P90 does give me more of what i want performance wise. damn you lol. Will have a rethink.

The price of the TM P90 TR is around £250, seems a bargain to me.

I guess most would say maybe just a nub upgrade and hop rubber is needed but i wonder if its worth doing anything else?

Thanks for your replies so far mate. :)

11 minutes ago, Frank Castle said:

Ahh i did toy with the TM P90 TR but preferred the look of the MP5 SD6 but your right, the P90 does give me more of what i want performance wise. damn you lol. Will have a rethink.

The price of the TM P90 TR is around £250, seems a bargain to me.

I guess most would say maybe just a nub upgrade and hop rubber is needed but i wonder if its worth doing anything else?

Thanks for your replies so far mate. :)

There is a new TM version that has a mosfet fitted for about 300 might be worth a look. I have had multiple TM P90s and can highly recommend only issue is the high caps tend to jam so the best mags are MAG 170rd mid caps.

Edited by BigStew

The trick I found for the hop was to trim the arm shorter. So you can't catch it. Once set add a tiny dot of glue to fix in place but not so much you can't undo it with a bit of a push just incase you need to.

Marui NGRS because of the hop-up and build quality. It's not that lever garbage which is also a very old marui design.

ICS has that AK style slide hop-up but I don't know if it's stays stable.

Performance wise the new NGRS is lackluster according to many sources... so I don't know if I could justify to spend that much money on it.

Edited by Krisz

Just now, Lozart said:

The newer Classic Army ones have a mosfet and the hop seems pretty stable to me.

Is it still the TM MP5 style? I am sure I saw a classic army MP5 that had a G3 style rotary hop fitted.

3 minutes ago, Lozart said:

The newer Classic Army ones have a mosfet and the hop seems pretty stable to me.

Good to know, thanks mate.

25 minutes ago, Krisz said:

Marui NGRS because of the hop-up and build quality. It's not that lever garbage which is also a very old marui design.

ICS has that AK style slide hop-up but I don't know if it's stays stable.

Performance wise the new NGRS is lackluster according to many sources... so I don't know if I could justify to spend that much money on it.

Agree, from what i've seen online plus shooting one at my local field i was left a bit underwhelmed by its performance. 

For CQB it's great and i know that's what their designed for but for that price point i'd have liked a little more range tbh.

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, BigStew said:

Is it still the TM MP5 style? I am sure I saw a classic army MP5 that had a G3 style rotary hop fitted.

No, it's still a slider type but they've made the top of the slider serrated so it clicks into place:

image.thumb.jpeg.68d0816b16ce21e239e79a04008f2eb9.jpeg

This is in my A3.

Note that the mosfet is pretty basic ie not programmable.

On 24/07/2023 at 15:42, Frank Castle said:

Good to know, thanks mate.

Agree, from what i've seen online plus shooting one at my local field i was left a bit underwhelmed by its performance. 

For CQB it's great and i know that's what their designed for but for that price point i'd have liked a little more range tbh.

I mean I did. I bought the MP5A5 version of it but I stricly play indoor and I've seen range reviews about it so I knew what I buy into it. Right now it's one of the best (if not the best) EBB MP5 on the market.

If you insist on the SD6 variant I think you're gonna end up with less options overall.

Edited by Krisz

I've got an old G&G one that my youngest uses. Its a bit fiddly to strip down and a tad heavy for him (he's 10) but to be honest it just keeps on rocking along. Its been abused---i think im the third owner--- and has had no upgrades (yet :D ). I dread to think how many bb's have travelled down the barrel!

It doesnt creak a lot but the boy managed to lose the hand grip cover pins.. :D

I'm a big fan of the Cyma mp5 models. The mp5sd6 isn't one of their platinums, but I have their non-platinum mp5k and it's one hell of a workhorse of a gun. Swapped the hop rubber and nub and it's performing incredibly well. The body on mine is a little wobbly, but that's more because I dropped it on the concrete floor at AI500 in Dover and two parts that hold the upper and lower receiver together snapped off (it's still fine as the pins hold it in place, but there's a bit of wobble).

I think if I was going to get a full-size mp5 (probably won't as I have an mp5k, mp9 and plan on getting an mp7), I'd go for a Cyma again.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with @Impulse if your going to spend a load of money upgrading it anyway then why not get a cheaper donor. The Cyma is actually an aesthetically pleasing good chunk of alloy with a nice weight to it for the price.

On 25/07/2023 at 09:21, Egon_247 said:

It doesnt creak a lot but the boy managed to lose the hand grip cover pins

I had the same problem my ICS MP5SD5. They never seemed to be held in place very tightly so I went through a couple of replacement sets in the 6 months or so I owned it. Mind you this was over 10 years ago and I don't know if they changed the design since

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.