Unsure what to choose

Rumy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello I’ve been looking for the last few days for a gun to buy for a gift for my son. I didn’t realise how many there would be to choose from i’ve narrowed it down to 3 which will need to be in a two tone colour and best value for money. the m4 is £90 g36c is £120 Ak74 £140 or would I be better paying out for a double eagle m906c £180. Any help would be great what would be best vaule for money and in the long run. IMG_0872.thumb.jpeg.b82e819c4907d34444da6cf1650d1726.jpegIMG_0875.thumb.jpeg.04d7e817ddbad59c24e452b818186f47.jpegIMG_0874.thumb.jpeg.dee08fc19dc49375df36785dbe6b1f38.jpeg

To be honest any of those would be a good choice.  CYMA and Specna Arms are decent manufacturers.

The choice would really come down to which one he likes the look of most.

If he really gets into it you should consider getting a LiPo battery and charger. (That can be later on)

Don't forget the eye protection!

Edited by EDcase

As above, what does he like the look of? 

I'd also suggest thinking about the weight and size of these compared with him. If he's not that strong then smaller and lighter is sensible, if he's a strapping teenager it shouldn't matter. 

If he's under 18 (assuming he is), he'll need full face protection, not just eye pro, some like the big masks like dye4, others prefer glasses and a mesh facemask. Hiking boots and gloves (check out mechanic) are also recommended.

The biggest thing I can recommend is go with him, at least every now and then. It's great father son bonding time, I see it at sites regularly and wish I had it with my dad (as a dad of real young ones, I will take mine when they're older). It's also pathetic seeing how uninvolved dad's are when they just drop their kids off like it's a crèche.

Obligatory vote for the Double Eagle M906C... Though of course the 904 with polymer body would save some weight if it's not a "strapping teenager" we're talking about here.

(One of the guys at spec ops has picked up a 904 and hpa'd it.  It's a fly-weight beast)

G36s are cool though... So for the cheaper end of the price range it's a great choice

he is quite young still 10 years old thanks for all the advice and info. Shocked by the amount of guns there are really he did quite like the ak74 😄 just so many to choose from and could see myself getting one I haven’t looked into many airsoft places yet but I’m in south london so expect should be a good few and will have a look. Yeah I have got him a full face mask as we sometimes shoot an air rifle crossman 1077 in the back garden which I’ve had for years but other then that I know very little about BB guns but he’s got quite a collection of cheap pistols and would like to get him a half decent one which he keeps on about. Just haveing a bit more of a look of the types of ak, I see Cyma have quite a few types of them aswell. I see on BB guns for less there’s a few that range from £120 to £150. Any advice on these would be great I know one or two don’t come with a battery or would the specna ak74 be best choice ? 

IMG_0883.png

IMG_0882.png

IMG_0881.png

IMG_0879.png

On 30/05/2023 at 08:42, Rogerborg said:

Ahoy and welcome. I'd avoid the sub-£100 CYMA CM5XX M4 series.  The internals are fine, but the plastic on that range is very cheap and toyish, and that's the part that you can't upgrade.

The G36C would be my choice from those three, I rate them as a platform. I think the CYMA G36s have better plastic than their cheapest M4s, but would welcome confirmation. The internals should be fine.

I'd echo that the battery and charger that come with it are technically functional, but weedy and unlikely to last a day.  I'd get straight onto lithium batteries rather than spending another penny on nimh technology.

I'd suggest something like 2 of these or equivalent (although I'd measure the supplied battery and ensure that these will fit in the stock). Note that the CYMA comes with a mini (aka small) Tamiya connector, and that means you'll need airsoft specific batteries (RC vehicle Tamiya battery connectors have different polarity).

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1500mah-2s-20-40c-lipo-airsoft-pack.html

And a SkyRC S65 charger from wherever you can find it cheapest.  This looks like a significant added cost, but it's really not worth cheaping out on chargers given the potential for things to go catastrophically wrong.

Oh, if you're not in a hurry, and intending to buy from bbguns4less, then put your order together, leave it in your basket for 24 hours and you may get sent a 5% discount code.

Enjoy the time and money sink. ;) 

Thank you for all the info about the batteries and discount code will start to look into them. 

On 30/05/2023 at 08:11, Emergencychimps said:

As above, what does he like the look of? 

I'd also suggest thinking about the weight and size of these compared with him. If he's not that strong then smaller and lighter is sensible, if he's a strapping teenager it shouldn't matter. 

If he's under 18 (assuming he is), he'll need full face protection, not just eye pro, some like the big masks like dye4, others prefer glasses and a mesh facemask. Hiking boots and gloves (check out mechanic) are also recommended.

The biggest thing I can recommend is go with him, at least every now and then. It's great father son bonding time, I see it at sites regularly and wish I had it with my dad (as a dad of real young ones, I will take mine when they're older). It's also pathetic seeing how uninvolved dad's are when they just drop their kids off like it's a crèche.

Yeah it’s all new to me and wasn’t sure the age ranges at the airsoft places I though would be more younger we’ll I’m 32 so not too old I guess 😆 but will look into it more thanks for all the info about the protection gear and will have a look at the mechanic brand tomorrow. 

I would think thrice before buying from anywhere with 'BB guns' in the title.  I was extremely hacked off with their customer 'service.'  

Google them and see what comes up...

3 hours ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I would think thrice before buying from anywhere with 'BB guns' in the title.  I was extremely hacked off with their customer 'service.'  

Google them and see what comes up...

"Needs must when the devil drives"... they do have good prices and more stock than others... c.f. Double Eagle

But if you can find it elsewhere at an acceptable price then yup - choose elsewhere in preference.

Agree with the statement of avoid them if you can, never heard good experiences of them (though they do sell some super cheap tat, maybe it's people's expectations are too high)

10 is quite young for it(have met some that age that are fine, some that couldn't cope), I'd suggest finding a local skirmish site, some sites do special events for younger players. If he is allowed to do a normal skirmish he'll need some protecting, easy to see how some painful hits could put him off the sport. I'd also suggest renting, if he gives it a go and doesn't like it you won't be so financially invested. If after 3 games he's loving it still (1 hyped up game doesn't count, 99% love their first game) then it'll be "wasted money" but you'll have a better idea of what to get from using the rentals and players love talking about their guns and kit, everything they have bought is the "best" so try to stay objective. 

As for your age, you're the perfect age for it! I've seen people from 12-75 play. I'm 38 and it's about 11 years I've been playing for. 

I don't think I've seen a site go as low as 10 for regular game days, but Ambush Airsoft near Cobham have a minimum age of 11 so that's an option if his birthday is coming up.

https://www.ambushairsoft.co.uk/

I second the bit about renting at first. Apart from the reasons already given he might find a particular model gun doesn't suit him, for example shorter smgs and carbines suit my style of play more so something like a G3 isn't for me no matter how much I like the look of them. 

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

I second the bit about renting at first.

Thirded. Considering that rental packages come with a ~£10 of BBs, you're only really paying £10-£15 for a day's gun rental (and support), which is a bargain compared to sinking multiple hundreds into a hobby that he doesn't really enjoy after the initial euphoria.

As to age ranges, airsoft isn't like laser-tag, it's mostly sweaty old(er) geezers playing army dress up.

Thanks for the advice and will look into more places around me and the cobham place as not too far away. Think it might be best for him to hire one but keep going to the bloody eagles again thinking I like to buy one 😅. he’s been makeing guns out of cardboard since he was little and has alot of nerf guns so think he’s set on getting one and watching a lot of airsoft on YouTube he did go to a paintball shooting party which he really enjoyed the other month he will be 11 in July so be a good time to take him to one for he’s bday.Just a though if I did end up buying one of the two tone guns if you go to an event place are you able to put camo net or something on the stock or the coloured parts so it doesn’t stand out?  

33 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Thirded. Considering that rental packages come with a ~£10 of BBs, you're only really paying £10-£15 for a day's gun rental (and support), which is a bargain compared to sinking multiple hundreds into a hobby that he doesn't really enjoy after the initial euphoria.

As to age ranges, airsoft isn't like laser-tag, it's mostly sweaty old(er) geezers playing army dress up.

Yeah that’s what I was afraid of if alot of places was like that with geezers with the best gear 😄 I used to get painting balling a few times over the years with my dad and it never seemed balance. But at least some the places only allow a certain amount of fps from a few I’ve looked up ? 

• Supporters

26 minutes ago, Rumy said:

if I did end up buying one of the two tone guns if you go to an event place are you able to put camo net or something on the stock or the coloured parts so it doesn’t stand out?  

Sure.  Camo tape aka sniper tape is a common option.  Strictly speaking, modifying it into a RIF is an offence, but doing so for the purposes of airsoft skirmishing is a defence to that, there's no age limit on that defence, and in practice, if you're doing it at an airsoft site, it's entirely within the letter and spirit of the law, and zero risk.  Nobody there will give a stuff what you've got or how you got it.

26 minutes ago, Rumy said:

Yeah that’s what I was afraid of if alot of places was like that with geezers with the best gear

There's generally a mix of rentals, folk with a pile of cheap guns (hello), milsim geardos with fUlLy uPgRaDeD electric guns, and speedsofters with scuba tanks strapped on their backs brrrting 3 birrion rounds a second out of pistols.  The thing is, the BBs really don't care what they're being shot out of, and the difference in performance between the cheapest and most expensive guns isn't really that big in the real world.

If you're there to take hits cheerfully rather than to make them, you can have a blast with just about anything. Some of us deliberately play with poverty spec or quirky stuff just for the satisfaction of getting a Hard Mode hit from a shotgun or revolver.

Are you intending to give it a try yourself?  You might find some sites want you to supervise in-game rather than just from the safe zone.  It's a fun hobby, and worth trying at least once to see if you get hooked. ;) 

On reflection I think a full size AK is a bit unwieldy for a 10/11 year old kid.  One with a folding stock might help though.

My local site, Spec ops, give young rentals either a G&G Raider or a Double Eagle M904G.  The smallest / youngest get a G&G Firehawk as these are the most compact (very short barrel) and are easy for them to handle.

It's a shame the Firehawk (and the other Raiders) are now rather overpriced.

2 hours ago, Rumy said:

if I did end up buying one of the two tone guns if you go to an event place are you able to put camo net or something on the stock or the coloured parts so it doesn’t stand out?  

That's definitely an option. A roll of camo tape is a cheap and effective method of hiding the bright colours. I'd go for something like this as the tape sticks to itself not the gun leaving no sticky gunk when/if removed

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grapelet-Stealth-Camo-Woodland-Rifle/dp/B071F2JFSZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_10_sspa?keywords=camouflage+tape&qid=1685622095&sr=8-10-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfbXRm&psc=1

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

The thing is, the BBs really don't care what they're being shot out of, and the difference in performance between the cheapest and most expensive guns isn't really that big in the real world.

This. My go to gun is a MP5K which cost me about £140, has no upgrages and has no trouble keeping up with guns which cost 3-4 times as much

Thanks for the great advice guys really have opened it more up to me and thinking may be best to hire but know could always be shot in the garden. I will have a talk later with him. 

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Sure.  Camo tape aka sniper tape is a common option.  Strictly speaking, modifying it into a RIF is an offence, but doing so for the purposes of airsoft skirmishing is a defence to that, there's no age limit on that defence, and in practice, if you're doing it at an airsoft site, it's entirely within the letter and spirit of the law, and zero risk.  Nobody there will give a stuff what you've got or how you got it.

There's generally a mix of rentals, folk with a pile of cheap guns (hello), milsim geardos with fUlLy uPgRaDeD electric guns, and speedsofters with scuba tanks strapped on their backs brrrting 3 birrion rounds a second out of pistols.  The thing is, the BBs really don't care what they're being shot out of, and the difference in performance between the cheapest and most expensive guns isn't really that big in the real world.

If you're there to take hits cheerfully rather than to make them, you can have a blast with just about anything. Some of us deliberately play with poverty spec or quirky stuff just for the satisfaction of getting a Hard Mode hit from a shotgun or revolver.

Are you intending to give it a try yourself?  You might find some sites want you to supervise in-game rather than just from the safe zone.  It's a fun hobby, and worth trying at least once to see if you get hooked. ;) 

Yeah I can see me wanting to play too and it does seem like it could be a fun hobby to get into just the cost wise as seems it can be endless but can be done on a budget without the best stuff. That’s why I though I try and find out a few things before spending money which so glad I did post here now. That’s good to know about the camo and will do that on event days if do proceed with buying one. I’m guessing if it came to selling a two tone would it be less value than a normal one ? 

52 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

That's definitely an option. A roll of camo tape is a cheap and effective method of hiding the bright colours. I'd go for something like this as the tape sticks to itself not the gun leaving no sticky gunk when/if removed

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grapelet-Stealth-Camo-Woodland-Rifle/dp/B071F2JFSZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_10_sspa?keywords=camouflage+tape&qid=1685622095&sr=8-10-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfbXRm&psc=1

This. My go to gun is a MP5K which cost me about £140, has no upgrages and has no trouble keeping up with guns which cost 3-4 times as much

Thanks for the link and I will bookmark the camo wrap. Yeah I was thinking how different the types are two the cost wise didn’t want a too cheap or too costly one will have a think if to buy one before hiring one. It doesn’t help I could just pay monthly payments for it etc 😄  

While it can appear costly, the amount it costs for the essentials needed to start out don't have to be astronomical. Apart from a gun the only things that are really essential are eye/face protection and a pair of boots with good ankle support, everything else is just a bonus

Maybe a bit late to this party but if he's only 10 & I'd consider the M4, purely for the adjustable butt.

23 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

Maybe a bit late to this party but if he's only 10 & I'd consider the M4, purely for the adjustable butt.

Ended up going to a gun shop near me and he got the m4 bulldog one ? Unsure if it’s a great make but it seems quite good and he’s happy.He has been shooting it in the garden at a few box’s.Got some 0.2 bbs bulldog what’s the best size to get if you go to a airsoft place or would these work fine ? Thinking to order the two tone g36c as a back up and starter.m for myself for when I do take him and if does enjoy it will get a de m9 series. IMG_0891.thumb.jpeg.975d19e3a03233f8953a824052bd46b0.jpeg

Yeahhhhhh.  Bulldog don't have a great reputation. In fact it's probably got the worst reputation.  Even for the BBs, they tend to be the quickest way to jam up a gun 😐

Well, good luck, maybe you got a good un. 

Buy some better BBs from your site or the shop at the earliest chance, but in the meantime tell your son not to keep pulling the trigger if the gun stops shooting for any reason.  Hopefully, if it does, it'll just be two or three BBs stuck in the barrel and you can gently push them back out with the unjamming rod that should be in the box.

0.20g BB will be fine to start with.  If you get a Double Eagle or a Cyma then stepping up to 0.25s would be ideal for those.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

5 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Yeahhhhhh.  Bulldog don't have a great reputation. In fact it's probably got the worst reputation.  Even for the BBs, they tend to be the quickest way to jam up a gun 😐

Well, good luck, maybe you got a good un. 

Buy some better BBs from your site or the shop at the earliest chance, but in the meantime tell your son not to keep pulling the trigger if the gun stops shooting for any reason.  Hopefully, if it does, it'll just be two or three BBs stuck in the barrel and you can gently push them back out with the unjamming rod that should be in the box.

Yeah I will do thanks for quick reply. a few times unloading the mag is a few stray bb that have droped out which I thought wasn’t a great sign. They didn’t have many of the models I was looking at on here. And he really wanted it so was hard to say no 😂 i ordered the g36c for now and more bbs. I can see me haveing bring he’s friend or nephew a few times so hopefully the gun will hold up for a while at least. Do you know of a red dot sight that’s cheap trying use the search on here but haveing no luck. I thought I came across a post about a cheap one but I can’t find now. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.