Unsure what to choose

Rumy

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

The BBs drop out of most guns, don't worry about that, they're the ones released into the feed tube and held in by the pressure of the BBs still in the mag underneath.  Take the mag out, they fall. No worries! 

There's a nice red dot on Amazon, a lot of us have used these at some point, they're good value...

https://amzn.eu/d/bLte0wA

It might need a little riser to go under it, so it's not blocked by the front sight on the gun... Something like this perhaps (just chose a cheap one, he might prefer a different look)

https://amzn.eu/d/0mpNPYq

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
16 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Yeahhhhhh

Yaaaarp.  Bulldog are pushed hard by the BBgnuz4U vendors, I expect they've got a decent margin on them.  That said, that one is cheap enough, has got all the required parts, and you can get a peach or a lemon from any brand.  Most of us have spent more on worse, or will do.  It looks like that comes with one midcap, so you'll either need a bunch more midcaps, or a couple of hi-caps to keep him in the game.  M4 magazines are generally cross-compatible-ish, but with foibles that sometimes require you to shim them out with tape or the fuzzy side of a velcro strip on the front or back to get them lined up and feeding reliably.

Are you OK for batteries?  If you got nimh and a £20 "smart" charger pushed on you, well, that happens too. They'll work, and you can switch to lipo/li-ion and something like a SkyRC S65 charger later, if you stick with the hobby.  I prefer to use pairs of lipos, in the 1200-1400mAh range, and swap them over at lunch.

My only real concern for a first day would be if you get one that's shooting hot, and get knocked back at the chrono.  Probably not, but BBgnuz vendors shift so many that they don't tend to actually check them before selling.

Still, fingers crossed. Just clean the barrel thoroughly, and I personally wouldn't use anything less than 0.25g in woodland. I find that 0.28g is the sweet spot for price and performance, if the hop unit can lift it.  You'll find folk on site happy to let you run some of their BBs through it to find out, without committing to buying a bottle of your own first.

That two-tone broomhandle is utter heresy, mind, and might very well be shooting hot on typical "green" gas. I'm seeing it listed at "370fps" or 1.27J which would either get it knocked back or you'd be asked to use it with DMR restrictions, i.e. a slow rate of fire and a minimum engagement distance, which rather obviates the point of a pistol.  Again, you won't know until you get it chronoed. If it is hot, you can try running lower pressure "144a" gas in it.

This is all sounding a bit doom-and-gloom, but in the grand airsoft scheme of things there's always a way to mend and make do, or muddle through, and once you get out there, it's all grins.  If you run into any issues on site, just ask the other players or marshals for help - you'll always get someone on site (hello!) keen to throw stuff at you to test out or help out, up to and including whole guns.  I tend to bring at least two backup AEGs, shotguns, pistols and what-not. ;) 

My son has started playing in the last year or so. I got him a Cyma AKS-74U, which is awesome, but recently he went the M4 route, so picked him up a Specna. So far it's been great out of the box, with good range and accuracy.

A couple of members on here (can't remember their names 🤥) are big DE fans, and I'd trust their opinions too.

Can't speak on the Bulldog, but I've heard similar to the opinions expressed above. Provided it holds together, it'll be fine for your lad's first pew. 

If it interests you, you should play too. Not only can you get your UKARA (not a licence!) to say goodbye to two-tones, but it's a great parent/child experience.

I was getting bored of skirmishing but since the lad has joined in, it's given it a whole new slant. Hope you have the same experience 👍

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Yaaaarp.  Bulldog are pushed hard by the BBgnuz4U vendors, I expect they've got a decent margin on them.  That said, that one is cheap enough, has got all the required parts, and you can get a peach or a lemon from any brand.  Most of us have spent more on worse, or will do.  It looks like that comes with one midcap, so you'll either need a bunch more midcaps, or a couple of hi-caps to keep him in the game.  M4 magazines are generally cross-compatible-ish, but with foibles that sometimes require you to shim them out with tape or the fuzzy side of a velcro strip on the front or back to get them lined up and feeding reliably.

Are you OK for batteries?  If you got nimh and a £20 "smart" charger pushed on you, well, that happens too. They'll work, and you can switch to lipo/li-ion and something like a SkyRC S65 charger later, if you stick with the hobby.  I prefer to use pairs of lipos, in the 1200-1400mAh range, and swap them over at lunch.

My only real concern for a first day would be if you get one that's shooting hot, and get knocked back at the chrono.  Probably not, but BBgnuz vendors shift so many that they don't tend to actually check them before selling.

Still, fingers crossed. Just clean the barrel thoroughly, and I personally wouldn't use anything less than 0.25g in woodland. I find that 0.28g is the sweet spot for price and performance, if the hop unit can lift it.  You'll find folk on site happy to let you run some of their BBs through it to find out, without committing to buying a bottle of your own first.

That two-tone broomhandle is utter heresy, mind, and might very well be shooting hot on typical "green" gas. I'm seeing it listed at "370fps" or 1.27J which would either get it knocked back or you'd be asked to use it with DMR restrictions, i.e. a slow rate of fire and a minimum engagement distance, which rather obviates the point of a pistol.  Again, you won't know until you get it chronoed. If it is hot, you can try running lower pressure "144a" gas in it.

This is all sounding a bit doom-and-gloom, but in the grand airsoft scheme of things there's always a way to mend and make do, or muddle through, and once you get out there, it's all grins.  If you run into any issues on site, just ask the other players or marshals for help - you'll always get someone on site (hello!) keen to throw stuff at you to test out or help out, up to and including whole guns.  I tend to bring at least two backup AEGs, shotguns, pistols and what-not. ;) 

Thank you for all the great information yeah I wasn’t sure why they had mostly just these being a shop and a few ares brand I think they was called.As you say must be profit margin I have a g36c which should be here next week I ordered for a spare or myself for when I do go 😄 yeah I’ve been trying sort more batteries out and the sky charger been looking about for think the best. I found was £37. Bit of a silly question with the sky charger does it only charge one type of batteries or all the types of have the adopter ?. I’ve been looking up magazines too for the m4 and g36c but haven’t brought anything yet same with the charger so far trying work stuff out before I buy now. 

29 minutes ago, C-Diddy said:

My son has started playing in the last year or so. I got him a Cyma AKS-74U, which is awesome, but recently he went the M4 route, so picked him up a Specna. So far it's been great out of the box, with good range and accuracy.

A couple of members on here (can't remember their names 🤥) are big DE fans, and I'd trust their opinions too.

Can't speak on the Bulldog, but I've heard similar to the opinions expressed above. Provided it holds together, it'll be fine for your lad's first pew. 

If it interests you, you should play too. Not only can you get your UKARA (not a licence!) to say goodbye to two-tones, but it's a great parent/child experience.

I was getting bored of skirmishing but since the lad has joined in, it's given it a whole new slant. Hope you have the same experience 👍

Yeah I am looking to play too as looks very fun and some the places seem really cool 😄 Hopefully I  can get my 3 games in to buy a normal de m900 series. I got the two tone g36c as may need it as a spare or what someone else could use if they come along. Yeah he does really like the ak models and can see him wanting one in the future. I will see how he gets on with the m4 and how that performs.Live and learn I guess ha as long it lasts a year or something should be alright and will tell him not to shoot if it stops firing etc luckily it seems to be working fine so far.  Should I be worried about snipers or anything which can shoot more power in a game? Just he was shooting bbs at a thick cardboard box and they’re going through the other side what’s it like getting hit from one of theses does he need like a vest or some type of armour you think or just gloves boots full mask ?

Bulldog  = SRC + Custom Branding.

Use it, abuse it, if (when?) it breaks, sell the parts and move on. Don't spend any money on 'upgrading' it, other than perhaps a new hop rubber.

There's a good chance that it will soldier on just fine, assuming you don't expect too much in terms of ROF and Power.

23 hours ago, Rumy said:

Should I be worried about snipers or anything which can shoot more power in a game? Just he was shooting bbs at a thick cardboard box and they’re going through the other side what’s it like getting hit from one of theses does he need like a vest or some type of armour you think or just gloves boots full mask ?

Some kind of body armour isn't a bad idea, and protective gloves are a must. Finger shots really sting! 

Look at some of the 8 Fields stuff on Patrol Base. Absolutely fine for your boy

Being shot with a bb can sting, it's worse on bare skin (hence full face protection) and my previous recommendation of gloves. 

While snipers shoot with more power, they have to be at least a certain distance away (known as a med, minimum engagement distance) so you aren't on the receiving end of the "full amount" if that makes sense. I'd be more concerned about him being shot close up close on bare skin than him wearing a plate carrier etc. 

Put a hoody on and get him (or someone else) to shoot you, then do it in just a t shirt. 

One problem I've noticed with plate carriers is that they can lead to people not feeling hits and then accusations of cheating. Something like an assault vest or chest rig will help prevent this. Another possible issue is weight. Plate carriers tend to be heavier than other types of load carrying kit (even without plates) so might not be suitable for a 10 year old

4 hours ago, Emergencychimps said:

Being shot with a bb can sting, it's worse on bare skin (hence full face protection) and my previous recommendation of gloves. 

While snipers shoot with more power, they have to be at least a certain distance away (known as a med, minimum engagement distance) so you aren't on the receiving end of the "full amount" if that makes sense. I'd be more concerned about him being shot close up close on bare skin than him wearing a plate carrier etc. 

Put a hoody on and get him (or someone else) to shoot you, then do it in just a t shirt. 

What distance would you recommended he shoot me at 😅 Yeah that’s good to know there’s a minimum distance used.

2 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

One problem I've noticed with plate carriers is that they can lead to people not feeling hits and then accusations of cheating. Something like an assault vest or chest rig will help prevent this. Another possible issue is weight. Plate carriers tend to be heavier than other types of load carrying kit (even without plates) so might not be suitable for a 10 year old

Yeah I was thinking that was looking at the weights of the 8 tactical vest and the kombat vest little difference between the costs the weight is quite a difference the kombat vest roughly 400 grams why the plate armoured one is over 700 grams. IMG_0905.thumb.jpeg.ef623163502705453c47f7ce0233761a.jpegIMG_0906.thumb.jpeg.5cb48cfd8004e214afde4ecdefaaaf8a.jpeg

• Supporters
5 hours ago, Emergencychimps said:

Before I played my first game 21+ years ago I did exactly this, my thinking being that I didn't want to squeal like a right "Mary" the first time I got hit, so set my wife up with my G19, stepped away about 40 feet wearing goggles & a T-shirt & told her to shoot me lol. 

After 5 or 6 shots she still hasn't hit me & my then 5 year old son pipes up "mummy can I try ?" (he was a bit of a whizz on nes duck hunt etc). 

So she stands behind him, he adopts an almost perfect weaver stance & promptly shoots me in my left nipple, I let out a squeal which he thinks is the funniest thing in the world & his cue to empty the mag at me. 

The next BB went so close to my left ear I swear I heard the crack, at which point I legged it for cover until he'd emptied the mag. 

Thing is, I still squeal occasionally when one catches me right, inner thigh or maybe the kidney area, so some things never change, I'm still a Mary lol😢

As for my son, played his first game when he was 8 or 9 & been playing occasionally ever since, 26 & dad himself now, my granddaughter is 3 next week & it's only a matter of time before he suggests we set a range up in the garden for her😱

3 hours ago, Tackle said:

Before I played my first game 21+ years ago I did exactly this, my thinking being that I didn't want to squeal like a right "Mary" the first time I got hit, so set my wife up with my G19, stepped away about 40 feet wearing goggles & a T-shirt & told her to shoot me lol. 

After 5 or 6 shots she still hasn't hit me & my then 5 year old son pipes up "mummy can I try ?" (he was a bit of a whizz on nes duck hunt etc). 

So she stands behind him, he adopts an almost perfect weaver stance & promptly shoots me in my left nipple, I let out a squeal which he thinks is the funniest thing in the world & his cue to empty the mag at me. 

The next BB went so close to my left ear I swear I heard the crack, at which point I legged it for cover until he'd emptied the mag. 

Thing is, I still squeal occasionally when one catches me right, inner thigh or maybe the kidney area, so some things never change, I'm still a Mary lol😢

As for my son, played his first game when he was 8 or 9 & been playing occasionally ever since, 26 & dad himself now, my granddaughter is 3 next week & it's only a matter of time before he suggests we set a range up in the garden for her😱

🤣 that’s so funny, you’ve been playing for a long time that’s nice to know that both still play. I’m hoping when I do let him,I will tell him to aim for my leg he’s got quite a good shot now so hopefully all goes to plan 😆 I think he was around 5-6 when i started to let him have a go on the air rifle but he needed a garden chair to aim it and to knee on the garden chair 😄

Rather than a PC, look at the slick body armour types. They're pretty rigid and you can definitely hear the ping of a hit.

Chest and back hits are standard though. Hits to the inner thigh, love handles (he won't have those) neck and ears are, in my experience, the ones that get me creatively swearing the most.

12 hours ago, C-Diddy said:

Hits to the inner thigh, love handles (he won't have those) neck and ears are, in my experience, the ones that get me creatively swearing the most

can confirm those hits can be worse than being domed - although the end of a finger can be a tad gnarly too.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.