Baofeng UV-5R help

Smiling-Dutchman

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

What was the issue and how did you fix it? Always best to leave the question and answer in case it helps someone else. I have a UV-5R and I know how simply complicated they can be 👍

Edited by RobHedley

23 hours ago, RobHedley said:

What was the issue and how did you fix it? Always best to leave the question and answer in case it helps someone else. I have a UV-5R and I know how simply complicated they can be 👍

I asked the same question on reddit and was told of for trying to break the law.
However that was likely US law they were talking about and I think that I, technically, didn't break any UK law (as I have a license) I decided to remove the question anyway so to not get this forum in any potential trouble (or am I being to cautious?).

But the answer involved some fiddling in CHIRP (free program which which you can re-program your Baofeng) and now it works as I want it to.

• Supporters
15 hours ago, Smiling-Dutchman said:

I think that I, technically, didn't break any UK law (as I have a license)

Pfft, Reddit.  Simple UK Light?  You're fine, and if you magdumped at any UK site you'd hit a dozen folk running Baofengs on PMR frequencies without a loicence.

And while I wouldn't advocate that, I wouldn't not advocate it either.  The consideration is that if you don't know what you're doing, then sticking to PMR frequencies means that you won't interfere with anyone who actually matters.  It's not like the wild day of CB with folk running Thunderpole masts tall enough to be an air traffic hazard trying to yell at each other from half way across the country.

Interestingly someone filed a FOIA request to OFCOM to ask how many people had been prosecuted for using a walkie talkie without a license.

It was none. They “always try to educate and assist users”

Contrary to what Reddit and FaceAche groups will tell you, where you expect the OFCOM SWAT team doing a no-knock at 4am

(yes I have a license, sit down!)

On 25/05/2023 at 12:39, Rogerborg said:

It's not like the wild day of CB with folk running Thunderpole masts tall enough to be an air traffic hazard trying to yell at each other from half way across the country.

You never know:

Sssscccchhhh.  Foxtrot tango niner this is.... Ssscchhhhh.   Oi fuck wit, take yer hits.... Ssscchhhhh requesting permission to Sssscccchhhh    Nade out    Sssscccchhhh.     oi you kant I said HIT. Sssscccchhhh  Tower those bell ends are at it again.  Can you call Derek at Sssscccchhhh   sorry lads what's the objective again?  Sssscccchhhh  don't worry tower, we'll just land it like we did the last time. 

• Supporters
12 hours ago, SSPKali said:

Interestingly someone filed a FOIA request to OFCOM

While I don't doubt this for a second, and it's exactly what I'd expect from being one of Those CB Users back in the day, I do feel compelled to get all nasally and adenoidal and demand "Source? Source?"

47 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

While I don't doubt this for a second, and it's exactly what I'd expect from being one of Those CB Users back in the day, I do feel compelled to get all nasally and adenoidal and demand "Source? Source?"

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/222731/Misuses-of-PMR446-Band-Prosecutions.pdf

So using a UV-5R on PMR446 seems pretty safe ;)

There are lots of FOIA requests listed on their site - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/foi-dp/foi-responses

• Supporters
2 hours ago, SSPKali said:

So using a UV-5R on PMR446 seems pretty safe ;)

Safe in several senses, as you won't interfere with any use that actually matters.  Still technically an offence, so don't do it, of course.  But don't do it less than you wouldn't use any other channels. 

Cheers, chap, lovely citations.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.