Who is running any hi-tech devices while LARPing?

truckinthumper

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am having a blast at this airsoft and really wanting to do the milsims as they look like a fun ass kicking.

I am looking at how some guys are playing with maps and cell phones for tactical play. Maps, squad and team mates( if avail). 
I have even seen drones being used. 

This seems to add to the giggle factor and seems it would be fun to incorporate. 

P.S. My job is vehicle telematics and the likes, so this idea is right up my ally   

I have played with a team member who uses a drone.  It was useful to see where to lob 'nades.  

Tech etc can add to the fun of playing but only if used with imagination.   As a pure gimmick it is no good at all. 

3 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

I have played with a team member who uses a drone.  It was useful to see where to lob 'nades.  

Tech etc can add to the fun of playing but only if used with imagination.   As a pure gimmick it is no good at all. 

Thats what I am talking about!! LOL. 

Even if I was receiving that 'nade, I would have died from laughing. 
I would laugh if an R/C car killed me too! 

Vehicles and night vision are good fun used well too.   

I think that the best but worst used tech is the humble radio.   Good coms discipline is golden. 

As you say@truckinthumper, if it adds to the fun then it's good.   I  laughed like a fool when someone located me in the pitch dark and got a knife kill.   Tech plus skill is nice to experience; even as the loser!

I'm not yet, but I'd like to using an app like traceforce or Ares alpha. Basically they track you and your squads location via GPS which for a big event like the trees could be super useful. 

For general skirmishes I think they'd be useful even if just to help link up with your mates after regen or if used by others on your team, where you can plug holes in defences or add new angles on attacks. 

Trouble with any advantages you're willing to pay for you'll get morons who say they'll intentionally try to damage it. Shoot at drones, use power blinding light against night vision etc, most of the threats probably wouldn't happen or aren't effective (torch Vs good night vision), but that weird threat/risk is always there. 

Ultimately these advantage giving pieces of kit as are available for everyone if people are inclined. 

Using tech in these type of games is great, as long as everyone is on the same page.  I used my night vision for the first time at Gunman Eversley and it was great. Had to make lots of adjustments, helmet and strap changes, so much better now.  

It was telling when players would flash their lights at me to cause a blinding effect - they failed to realise that the night vision reduced the intensity ,then they got shot…haha!

We use some fancy things, but we use them as event organisers & give access to players (we might let players directly operate things or we might have staff operating them on behalf of players)

If the site is happy then you can use your own - and you retain full liability 

Drones are a tricky one - it can be an offence to fly a drone over people, look into the types, sizes etc and permissions etc

Its a bad thing when a drone gets shot down onto players 

(It’s also a bad thing for the player who shoots an event drone on camera being recognised by the operator and their unique balls being left embedded in the drones polystyrene body shell)

The suitcase here gives players sight of drone and/or RC cameras and the switches to control devices carried by drone and/or RC car.

Players are more likely to be allowed to drive the RC car then to fly the drone.  Our ‘pilot’ would operate the drone

We have various other gadgets to play with

42329372-685F-43AD-85A4-7C96ACDB3BAA.jpeg.2c1ef7d54fcb5da321d75257e4d8b79b.jpegE1060F33-2862-43CB-BF7B-FAD7C109B739.jpeg.4f5296b02a867dded4846cdc030584d4.jpeg2761AC22-68C6-4211-9AAC-158B8F545C80.jpeg.d382b24a0bd4c904cfeee7b8c0b681ce.jpegD632D5C2-2702-4C66-94B8-4EBF854F85A6.jpeg.5bb86b0250675e33b2b192700db9af80.jpeg86DE2757-E9AE-4A4C-B807-3C39A2D1EABE.thumb.jpeg.77e8c2962709ee603a950ecbb6513f9a.jpeg

On 25/07/2022 at 00:27, truckinthumper said:

I am having a blast at this airsoft and really wanting to do the milsims as they look like a fun ass kicking.

I am looking at how some guys are playing with maps and cell phones for tactical play. Maps, squad and team mates( if avail). 

This seems to add to the giggle factor and seems it would be fun to incorporate. 

P.S. My job is vehicle telematics and the likes, so this idea is right up my ally   

I've seen cell phones used in America, but we need more app development for stuff like this. Maps, team mate positions etc are things I imagine could be done in a phone app.

I've actually been at a game where a drone was being used. Proper urban surveillance guys were on the enemy team and had a very fancy drone with stuff like thermal cameras. Also a lot of the guys had night vision; I'd hazard to say at most milsims you will come across nod-gang, as night vision is probably the most common addition at milsims in terms of high-tech stuff, and nod-gang like to nod-gang when the sun goes down.

• Supporters
On 25/07/2022 at 00:27, truckinthumper said:

As you're in the US, the Desert Fox events use their own app based force tracker: https://www.desertfoxevents.com/blue-fox-tracker not sure if you can download it and use it at other events, maybe have a look and see what it does.

You can of course use ATAK https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Team_Awareness_Kit but that is very much more detailed and aimed at military/LEO/Search and Rescue

2 hours ago, Impulse said:

I've seen cell phones used in America, but we need more app development for stuff like this. Maps, team mate positions etc are things I imagine could be done in a phone app.

I've actually been at a game where a drone was being used. Proper urban surveillance guys were on the enemy team and had a very fancy drone with stuff like thermal cameras. Also a lot of the guys had night vision; I'd hazard to say at most milsims you will come across nod-gang, as night vision is probably the most common addition at milsims in terms of high-tech stuff, and nod-gang like to nod-gang when the sun goes down.

Check out ares alpha and traceforce. Both are gps based apps for tracking team movement. I think the trace force app is very suited to airsoft and landmarks can be added. I mapped out gunman airsoft tuddenham with location beacons on there. 

Edited by Emergencychimps

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.