cheapest / reliable "project gun"

mirinjawbro

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

48 minutes ago, mirinjawbro said:

Hello all

finding myself with some spare time at home at the moment and looking to keep busy

what is the cheapest  SMG / rifle AEG that can easily be "upgraded"

id like to mess around with springs / pistons / rof 

thanks

Bit of an oxymoron as soon as you open it up what ever reliability you had is gone  just go for what you like the look of.

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, Skara said:

Galaxy Mp5K.

Cheaper than dirt and a decent project gun (imo)

Yup.  Full, robust V3 gearbox. With an M100 spring, 6.01mm x  110mm (off the top of my head, it might be 105mm) barrel but otherwise stock air seal components, mine is currently shooting at 0.95-0.97J (320-324 fps) and is an absolute blast to use.

They're not magic.  The motor really wants upgraded, the two-piece trigger has a lonnnnng pull, the hop isn't great, and the consistency is all over the place - my working theory is that the barrel isn't held in place securely enough, although as part of rewiring to the rear, I've deleted off the front fuse holder and the bracing piece that held it, so I may have done that to myself.  I've never found an 11.1V that will fit in the battery tube, although you can get a small mosfet in behind a short 7.4V.

But all that goes to illustrate that there are load of things that you can do with them.

53 minutes ago, mirinjawbro said:

its more to play around with rather than be used for skirmish etc.

seems they are out of stock most places. discontinued?

I would also consider looking at second hand especially if you are looking to mod as warranty isn't a consideration.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, mirinjawbro said:

seems they are out of stock most places. discontinued?

The usual suspect "BB" sites have a few, although sadly 2-toned.

CYMA CM.5xx M4s are cheap, robust and ripe for tinkering, if you don't mind the cheap ToyTown plastic body.

• 3 weeks later...

Some form of P90. I picked up a Cybergun version for about 140 quid.

The beauty is that the gearbox is only held in with two screws in the butt stock. So you're not wasting time getting the gun in bits, it's literally seconds to get the gearbox free. :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/03/2022 at 20:44, mirinjawbro said:

i have always liked P90s. helps me get closer to the 1.6 weapons :)

how reliable are they? i may add some silly springs / motors etc to play around

Err, as reliable as anything else. I've blown mine up numerous times but purely because I've done what you plan to do haha! Out the box they're fine, with basic tinkering still fine. Only issue is the triggers being a bit crap (standard bullpup) but that can be worked around. :) 

• Supporters
41 minutes ago, mirinjawbro said:

as my other thread, i do have a G&G MP5 SD5 EBB i could / would like to mess around with.

just worried ill blow it up. 

Kind of the point.  Optimise it until it breaks, back it off a quarter-turn, then leave it for the apprentice to find sell it on as "Mint condition, barely used, worked perfectly until it didn't'".

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.