Trades on Marui gas pistols

emilianoksa

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

One of the reasons that contribute to the popularity of TM gbb pistols, is the fact that they have trades.

However pictures of some models in UK adverts do not show the trades. I have noticed this with H&K pistols in particular, but even on some 1911s. Strangely Glocks don't seem to be affected. One retailer actually warns customers that trades on H&K pistols have been "tastefully" removed before export. 

I just wondered how widespread this is. Do all UK retailers do it, or only some.

If the illustration shows no trades does that mean they are absent from the gun, or are they just blacked out for advertising purposes, to avoid trouble.

IIRC it's down to licensing of company logos which are trademarked. H&K allows TM to use the logos as their targeted market is Japan, whereas in Europe they gave the licensing to Umarex

Personally I don't really care about correct markings as, especially with pistol, they're not going to be seen much

Edited by Cannonfodder

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I know it comes down to licensing. Marui gets away with because their products are not made for export. As far as British retailers are concerned they get their TM guns from third parties that buy them from TM and then export them. It would appear that some of these third parties, or certain retailers, don't want to run the risk of getting into trouble with manufacturers of the real steel guns by using their logos, and others are prepared to take the risk.

Could I ask anyone who owns, for example,  a TM HK45 with trades, which retailer they got it from?

• Supporters
7 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

But why H&K and not Glock?

Because H&K have a better legal team than Glock.

3 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

Thanks for that insight.

But why H&K and not Glock?

Not sure as Glock where pretty hot on it. I think now it's more about the Airsoft manufacturers that have paid for the rights to the RS manufacturers taking up issue. Tbh I don't know of a single UK Airsoft shop including the ones that say they remove markings actually removing markings.

Different companies will have different license agreements. Glock did kick up a fuss a few years ago about airsoft replicas having trades in the USA, with imports being seized and destroyed due to copyright infringement. Why this hasn't happened in Europe I've no idea, possibly as the market for real glocks is smaller 

My fnx 45 looks like it has trades, but they are actually TM markings made to look like the FNC logo 

57 minutes ago, MagpieTactical said:

My fnx 45 looks like it has trades, but they are actually TM markings made to look like the FNC logo 

They did the same on the Ruger and body guard. 

1 hour ago, MagpieTactical said:

Really? You got a picture, I’ve owned six TM FNX’s, never noticed

I've bought... 6 TM pistols(?) and all of them have had trades on them. Shops say they don't have trades and sometimes blank them out in photos for legal reasons, but nobody goes through the effort of actually doing it and nobody seems to care.

2 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Really? You got a picture, I’ve owned six TM FNX’s, never noticed

Will do when I get home from work. I didn't notice originally until some downtime between games and I was admiring it, and thought "hang on a minute...." 

Edited by MagpieTactical

19 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

that is so cool, I love it

Its pretty nicely done tbh, pretty close in appearance 

On 18/02/2022 at 13:55, emilianoksa said:

If the illustration shows no trades does that mean they are absent from the gun, or are they just blacked out for advertising purposes, to avoid trouble.

You would need to check with the retailer on a "case by case" basis. However when enquiring with one about a TM MK23 the other week, I was assured "The trades are on there but we're not allowed to advertise that online"

Also you'll have perhaps noticed that Firesupport (not the retailer in question above, BTW) have stopped stocking any TM Glocks. This is just speculation but I would assume this is connected to their recent range increase of "Officially licenced" Umarex Glocks.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.