Double Eagle M908B

JakeF

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

4 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Don't underestimate 'reliability' as a thing... Having had game days spoiled by guns failing chrono, or not working properly, if you have just the one gun you need it to work.

Now I'm not saying the 11.1v battery will cause you problems, but if the gun fails on you, you will suspect or blame the battery, and you'll be kicking yourself for using it, because at that point you'd take a gun firing 'slowly' over one not firing at all!

Having said that, I'm sure I'll send up buying an 11.1v eventually.  But I have two other rifles and a pistol in my collection as backup 😇

Yeah thats a good point once i get the rif sorted and actually get delivery of the one i ordered xD ill 100% be using it on a 7.4 first for a full day and see how i feel never know with a fully juiced 7.4 could be absolutely fine so defo going to test it first and see. like you say id rather a working gun than not.

Just to update everyone i have been in touch with Patrol Base today and they couldnt have been more helpful with my order issues (inprevious posts). They had labelled all there Double Eagle M904A's as M908B's in the warehouse so thats why i recieved a 4A. They where very appologetic and understanding. They gave me a couple of options of what i would like to do with the issue and all where a possitive giving me more than the differance in price between the RIF's. i choose to refund the difference and they are sending a free speed loader to me for my troubles. Customer service was 10/10 couldnt reccomed them more.

Just now, Rogerborg said:

Wow, good on them.  I am delighted to hear that, it's a great advert for them, even with the mix-up.

100% This is the first time using them and i will be returning to use them again. The M904A its self wasnt in anyway bad i was actually really happen when just looking at it it was the fact it just wasnt what i paid for but with the difference sorted out im more than happy to call this my first RIF!! Cant wait till sunday to use this and get my sights and hop set up and really get a good feel for it. Deffo going to be running .25's for it first then might go for .28's will see how the .25's preform for me and my playstyle (running like a mad man into buildings with four people looking at the door normally xD).

45 minutes ago, JakeF said:

100% This is the first time using them and i will be returning to use them again. The M904A its self wasnt in anyway bad i was actually really happen when just looking at it it was the fact it just wasnt what i paid for but with the difference sorted out im more than happy to call this my first RIF!! Cant wait till sunday to use this and get my sights and hop set up and really get a good feel for it. Deffo going to be running .25's for it first then might go for .28's will see how the .25's preform for me and my playstyle (running like a mad man into buildings with four people looking at the door normally xD).

Glad you're getting your gun sorted, and patrolbase haven't let you down :)   

For the BB weight, I was pinging .28's around yesterday like a good 'un, had to make some fine adjustments to dial down the hop in the middle of a fight to get the best traectory so hops those with ease. 

And I've shown it'll lift 0.30s at short range in my smallish garden, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could go to 0.32s if you wanted to.
But if you're mostly going CQB then go with ... whatever is best value?

35 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Glad you're getting your gun sorted, and patrolbase haven't let you down :)   

For the BB weight, I was pinging .28's around yesterday like a good 'un, had to make some fine adjustments to dial down the hop in the middle of a fight to get the best traectory so hops those with ease. 

And I've shown it'll lift 0.30s at short range in my smallish garden, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could go to 0.32s if you wanted to.
But if you're mostly going CQB then go with ... whatever is best value?

think i might bump it to .28's then since i play a mix of woodland and CQB village with some longer distances in the village still. thinking about tight bore barrel and new hop rubber in a month or so see how it feels.

• Supporters

Yup, I like .28s as a decent combination of range vs cost.

Well, good news, you've got money in the budget for barrel and hop rubber.  You shouldn't really need them, although I do like Maple Leaf rubbers.

This afternoon I found hobbyking had a tiny lipo 11.1v stock battery that still is 1200 mAH, and just a tenner.  It's due to be back in stock at the end of the month.  With your vote of confidence in the DE internals I'm sure I'll buy one and give it a go

• Supporters
16 hours ago, Stevobeavo said:

Just to add I've been using my 904G with a 11.1v battery for over a year now and it's been fine. 

Definitely noticed a improvement with the 11.1v over a 7.4v.

I'll be using a 11.1v with my new 904H too. 

DE do actually recommend using 11.1v’s in them .

43 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

DE do actually recommend using 11.1v’s in them .

Yeah, but that's with their 'full fat' spring giving > 400fps.   The problem is over-running the gearbox when there's less resistance from our namby-pamby 310fps (when new) springs.
So that's why Patrolbase etc recommend the 7.4v instead.  I'm sure there's a degree of 'CYA' in that, but it makes logical sense.  The good news is the empirical evidence suggests the DE internals are well put together and can cope (at least for a decent time)

So 11.1v is not a terrible idea. In fact with all this talk of the damned things I've just ordered the cheap 11.1v 1200mAH Nano-Tech from HobbyKing (slightly different version from the one I'd seen that triggered my previous post), because it's a stupendously cheap £11 delivered, so I'm going to try it.  And I could do with an extra spare battery so why not. 

As I said to Jake though, I've got a couple of guns that'll fill in if the DE dies on me.  As he's just got one, it's a slightly different equation.   

I seem to be fairly unlucky with my kit, I may be being unreasonably risk-averse :)

(Here's the cheapo battery: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1200mah-3s-15-25c-lipo-airsoft-pack-t-connector.html)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
5 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Yeah, but that's with their 'full fat' spring giving > 400fps.   The problem is over-running the gearbox when there's less resistance from our namby-pamby 310fps (when new) springs.
So that's why Patrolbase etc recommend the 7.4v instead.  I'm sure there's a degree of 'CYA' in that, but it makes logical sense.  The good news is the empirical evidence suggests the DE internals are well put together and can cope (at least for a decent time)

Now I do see this as a valid argument if your using your gun like a rental (gazillion sec bursts 😖) but I’ve come to my own conclusion that with ‘sensible’ use of the trigger pretty much all current AEG’s can use 11.1v Batts with no detrimental effect to them (only ones I’d agree with not using them in are TM Recoils)the ones we had yrs ago yes I do agree you where on your way to an implosion in a gearbox with a lot of brands back then but the AEG’s you buy these days are of a far superior quality compared to what you had even just  6+yrs ago ? 

Yeah fair enough Druid.  I shall resist the small temptation to try this 'experimental' 11.1v battery in one of the two old guns and just try it in the DE

Btw with its MOSFET, does that add some extra protection?  I might use my M16 as a base for some experimentation, either going dmr, or super shorty..  plenty of room to add a MOSFET, would it be worthwhile?

(If there's more than a simple answer to that I'll chuck that question in to a separate thread)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

On 22/11/2021 at 18:24, Rogerborg said:

Yup, I like .28s as a decent combination of range vs cost.

Well, good news, you've got money in the budget for barrel and hop rubber.  You shouldn't really need them, although I do like Maple Leaf rubbers.

yeah going to try .25's and see how it goes on sunday.

On 22/11/2021 at 20:25, Stevobeavo said:

Just to add I've been using my 904G with a 11.1v battery for over a year now and it's been fine. 

Definitely noticed a improvement with the 11.1v over a 7.4v.

I'll be using a 11.1v with my new 904H too. 

i think i will try it with the 7.4v first and see how i like it if i feel like i need a bit more then ill have a shop around. I think the trouble for me is the space in the buffer tube seems pretty small so with my lack of knowledge finding one that fits might be an issue but im sure a stick 11.1 wouldnt be an issues as i have my stock extended a bit aqnyway so has a bit more room for length.

• Supporters
49 minutes ago, JakeF said:

a stick 11.1 wouldnt be an issues as i have my stock extended a bit aqnyway so has a bit more room for length

It's not the length so as the girth as the actress said to the bishop.  Wiring can take up quite a bit of space in the buffer, so you're either looking at trying to stuff the battery and wiring in side by side, or coil the wiring down into the buffer (remembering that it has to  be long enough to reach the end) and ram the battery down on top.

All that said, I'ma go and do some experiments now, as those 16-18mm x 20mm 11.1Vs might actually go into my MP5K or down a buffer tube.

1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

It's not the length so as the girth as the actress said to the bishop.  Wiring can take up quite a bit of space in the buffer, so you're either looking at trying to stuff the battery and wiring in, or to coil the wiring down the buffer (remember that it has to reach the end) and ram the battery down on top.

All that said, I'ma go and do some experiments now, as those 16-18mm x 20mm 11.1Vs might actually go into my MP5K or down a buffer tube.

Yeah mny 7.4v stick that i have has a big wiggle room for a fatter battery and like you say the length isnt an issues as it just sits inside the stock just as long as the wirering isnt stretched then will be fine i seen a titan stick 11.1 battery that looked a good size for the buffer tube but them batteries where like £35 and i think thats rather ridiculous for a battery.

At 3000mAh you're just needing to buy one Li-Ion battery rather than two Li-Po's. So there's that.

On the downside... where can you get one for £35?  Seems to be £45 at Land Warrior, or Airsoft Anonymous (out of stock)?

And at 20cm I don't think it'll fit in the buffer tube.  Not with the wiring to contend with as well.  (But you've got the 908 crane stock, so you may be luckier than me in that regard.  You can certainly opt for the nunchuck version instead)

Next is the 'Li-Po' vs 'Li-Ion' quality of life stuff...  
You can't store a Li-Po with much charge in it.  If your charger does discharging down to a storage voltage then you're ok.   My ASG smart charger doesn't have that, so I've either got to buy a different charger, or find another way to ensure my battery is run down to its minimum level. 

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

You can't store a Li-Po with much charge in it.

You can. Opinions vary on whether you should, to maximise longevity  Given the low cost of lipos now, it's not something that I'm fussed about.  My B6 wants them at 3.7V per cell for storage, for what that's worth.

Bah, even 16mm x 20mm is a no-go for my purposes, 16mm x 16mm is about as big as I can go.

5 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

At 3000mAh you're just needing to buy one battery rather than two. So there's that.

On the downside... where can you get one for £35?  Seems to be £45 at Land Warrior, or Airsoft Anonymous (out of stock)?

And at 20cm I don't think it'll fit in the buffer tube.  Not with the wiring to contend with as well.  (But you've got the 908 crane stock, so you may be luckier than me in that regard.  You can certainly opt for the nunchuck version instead)

Next is the 'Li-Po' vs 'Li-Ion' quality of life stuff...  
You can't store a Li-Po with much charge in it.  If your charger does discharging down to a storage voltage then you're ok.   My ASG smart charger doesn't have that, so I've either got to buy a different charger, or find another way to ensure my battery is run down to its minimum level. 

yeah one of them would be enough thats true and i cant remember of the top of my head just did some digging online and found it sure it was £35. I was meant to have the 908 but they labelled all there 904a stock as 908b stock so got that sent to me and then didnt have the 908 in stock to swap so refunded me the difference in price and sent me a free speedloader. So i only have the buffer tube space for a battery in the 904a

1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

You can. Opinions vary on whether you should, to maximise longevity  Given the low cost of lipos now, it's not something that I'm fussed about.  My B6 wants them at 3.7V per cell for storage, for what that's worth.

Bah, even 16mm x 20mm is a no-go for my purposes, 16mm x 16mm is about as big as I can go.

Yeah agreed for the sake of £15 give or take its not worth worrying about in my opinion and i can get a 18cmx2cm battery in the buffer tube of my 904A with it just sticking into the stock a little it but doesnt make a difference as i have the stock extended so doesnt interfere.

• Supporters
35 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

What he said , I’m terrible at looking after my Batts , I’ve never set them for storage , they don’t get touch until the day before my next game day I alway put them on charge first then when it’s beeping full I THEN put them on to balance . Touch wood the only batteries I’ve had die on me what I’d say was prematurely are 9.9v LiFe I was using for a couple of yrs all the ‘normal’ LiPo’s have been fine .

A single Kong Power 7.4v 1300mAh 20c will last me a whole day.  I stick to single shot and only at targets I know I can hit.  In a stalemate I'll move instead of the endless exchange.

Of course I take about 3 batteries on a game day just in case 😉

Edited by EDcase

19 minutes ago, EDcase said:

A single Kong Power 7.4v 1300mAh 20c will last me a whole day.  I stick to single shot and only at targets I know I can hit.  In a stalemate I'll move instead of the endless exchange.

Of course I take about 3 batteries on a game day just in case 😉

I'm a guy who subscribes strongly to the idea of 'suppressive fire'.   I got quite a few kills on my last game when I was spamming shots at an obvious location and people would either peek into it or jump out from it.   And the rest of the time I like to think I'm stopping them from using a good firing position to shoot at my team.   
Also - I've paid good money to be there, I'm damn well going to fire my gun as much as I can - it's fun :)   

Firing lots of single shots and 3-5 round bursts I estimate that I used around 1500mAH worth of juice (at 7.4v) for a full day's play on Sunday (one Li-Po emptied, plus a bit from my Titan which I wasn't sure was working ok, so was my backup).  I used up a bag and half of BB's, so between 4,000-4,500 BBs in that time.

It's good to hear the Li-Po storage thing can be abused somewhat.   I can't find my old 7.62 ammo can to store 'em in though, just using a Quality Street tin at the moment.   I suspect that'd melt pretty quickly in the worst case scenario 😕

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

At 3000mAh you're just needing to buy one Li-Ion battery rather than two Li-Po's. So there's that.

My Titan 3,000 mAh Li-Io was £36 from the site shop (but my membership does give me 10% off of all purchases).

The way I play though it probably won't last me a whole day at my next game, at times my M904E may as well be an M249 😁

Edit: Also on Sunday just gone I probably used around 3,200 mAh of charge overall.

Edited by Fatboy40

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

My ASG smart charger doesn't have that, so I've either got to buy a different charger, or find another way to ensure my battery is run down to its minimum level. 

Those ASG chargers are bloody awful in my experience.  Get yourself a decent charger and you might get away with a 1000mAh li-po all day. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys just an update since recieving my RIF. I LOVE IT!! honestly it is so solid and shoots lovely only on thing i dont like is the ROF with a 7.4v lipo so going to look at getting an 11.1 soon. I have ran into a problem tho when i attended a night game the other day. How do you take of the muzle break of the M904A as it looks like there is a grub screw but you cant reach it because of the rail? i know you will be able to take the rail system off but i didnt want to start tinkering with it on the night of the game incase i screw anything up. Gutted i couldnt use a tracer for the night but a super bright torch with a focus lense lit up normal bbs like a tracer. Anyone removed the rail before to be able to take the muzzle break off and if so any tips on things to look out for or easiest ways ect. TIA

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.