Double Eagle M908B

JakeF

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello everyone this is my first post on the forum although being an avid reader of it i have not commented or posted.  I am awaiting delivery of my M908B and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. I have spoken to a couple members through messages but wanted to see if anyone else has had the same experience. I cant find any good unboxing/reviews for it anywhere just one or two crappy ones so if anyone has some videos of it stock or know of any to link that would be much appriciated.

Thankyou,

Jake

Hi Jake

Short version: You'll love it :)

There's a good forum thread in the Reviews section which has switched into a sort-of owners tricks and tips and pics thread.

If you want reassurance you've bought a good gun - that's easy - there doesn't seem to be a bad word said yet. 

(Well maybe note that the spring tends to lose some of its strength over a short-ish period of time, and piston might need a lubing.  But given the quick change spring ability, and access to the piston is relatively simple, don't be scared by those things)

All the Double Eagle M90x guns share the same internals.  The 904's have polymer receivers, the 906's are metal, the 907's are milled metal, and the 908 has the fancy handguard and the PTS EPS style stock that maybe I should've paid the extra for 😏   So anything said about any of the guns will most likely apply to yours too

There is a decent video review of the 908 on YT 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZkN0fqfkvw

and a good in-depth of the cheaper / lighter 904 here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU_vnyRCLj4&ab_channel=Maniek44_Eng

And a nice web site review here

Double Eagle M904G / WMASG.com - Airsoft binds us!

Perfect ill have a look through that and see if there is anything i havent read in all this excitment haha. good to note that all them are the same apart from externals. like you say springs are an easy replacement and im sure lubing the piston isnt the hardest of jobs. Is it? Yeah i thought it isnt alot more money for what you get compaired to the other options. Thankyou for the videos ill have a look through them when i finish work. Also has anyone done any upgrades to theres then they would strongly recomend without costing a fortune? 

Thanks again

Yeah, simple upgrade - buy decent 0.28g BBs and play with it a for a couple of games before you do anything else ;) - it's what I'm doing!

The temptation to dive in straight off is strong (especially when I said about the spring and lube), but when I look back at my TM AK47S when I first started airsofting, I had a great few games with that before I got the spring upgraded and a tight barrel fitted (and stuck a big heavy battery on it, weighed it down with a top rail and sight). 

Having said that.. it seems changing the hop rubber and nub is easy, other people here will recommend you some options. 

Accuracy seems decent out-of-the-box though, and my hop lifts 0.30's already.  I'll be interested to see what the improvement will be with those changed out.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, JakeF said:

lubing the piston isnt the hardest of jobs. Is it?

You can lube the o-ring just by putting some silicone up the nozzle, which you can do when cleaning the barrel - and that's the other thing I'd suggest on any new gun.  Split the receiver (should just be one pin at the front), get some silicone (spray or liquid) into the nozzle, then clean the barrel from rear to front with a patch of clean paper towel on the cleaning/unjamming rod that I'd hope that it comes with, so that you're not pushing any shipping oil or gunk into the hop rubber.  I use isopropyl alcohol on it, but you don't really need anything, just put the rod through with clean pieces of paper towel, slowly and rotating it, until it stops picking up any more gunk.

Then give it an auto burst or two to blow any excess lube out the nozzle before reassembling.

After that, what @RostokMcSpoons said, just feed it 0.28g BBs, get your hop dialled in, and enjoy it.

Apologies if you already know, but for hop adjustments it can be handy to have a spotter standing off to the side, as they can observe the flight more objectively.

yeah i was going to run it on .28 out of the box anyway think .20 are pretty pointless in my opinion. all i am thinking of doing to the gun overall until something breaks is hop rubber, nub and tight bore barrel maybe hop unit further down the line. 100% going to run it out of the box on .28 though first and i might be more than happy with it who knows? also @Rogerborg that does sound like it should be standard practice for new guns but have not seen anyone mention that before defo going to do that to make sure it is clean from shipping. It is going to be waiting for me at home when i get back tonight got UPS tracking up on work computer constantly checking it while the Mrs is even reluctant to answer the door haha.

• Supporters

Sounds good. The stock hop unit looks like a decent enough rotary. 

Barrels come with varying amounts of oil inside them for shipping - they could have been on a boat for weeks, or on a shelf for months - so it's always worth giving them a clean out.  Some aftermarket barrels (AOLS in particular) come very greasy.  It's not a criticism, it's protecting your purchase, just give it a quick clean out and you're good to go.

Thankyou very much for that information thats good advice to stop anything breaking when its such a simple fix. ill make sure to do it to anything i buy for it just to be safe.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, JakeF said:

they sent me a M904a instead of the M908B

Huh, they might have veered dangerously close to operating like an actual retailer, and needed to regain their airsoft street cred.

Sorry to hear that, I hope they have what you want in stock.

As usual, I'd assert that the contractual position is that you are yet to receive what you ordered, and you could initiate a chargeback at any time - and if they dick you around in any way, for one second, I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

The unsolicited free gift they have sent you is unrelated, although you might be kind enough to send it back to them, if they pay for a courier to pick it up at your convenience.

hahaha i mean it is a nice RIf dont get me wrong but i ordered the other model for a reason full metal and think it looks a little better surely they cant be anything but apologetic and send me the right one straight away? yeah thats a good statement to hit them with because they havent forfilled there end of the retail agreement by sending what i paid for. on there website it says they will email a pre paid label to stick on it so hopefully can get it sorted. Are they known to mess up alot of orders by any chance?

1 minute ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

In my experience PB are excellent, if there's been some form of SNAFU they'll put it right. You should be good 👍

If they don't have it in stock they'll probably refund you.

Thats good to hear then just have to wait till monday to hear anything tho as they are closed haha.

It says they have them in stock on the website so hopefully they can send it straight here, do you know if they have to wait to recieve the one they sent me before posting the other one or how do they do it? plan on playing next weekend and dont want to be without.

Also When i recieved the M904a i tried it with the battery i ordered aswell which is a nuprol 7.4 lipo and in full auto it sounded pretty slow i dunno wheather this is possibly not a full battery charge i dunno how much they come with new or thats just the rate of fir in the DE's? Or on the other hand if i should be running a 11.1. Ive seen people on the forums running the 904's on 11.1 but patrol base only recomend 7.4 with the m908b unless shooting over 390 FPS. does this matter what do people recomend??

NUPROL!!! A make that is regarded by many as a swear word here.

Probably needs a full charge. If it's LiPo I'd expect a healthy RoF. How slow is "slow"? How many RPS do you estimate you're currently getting? PB recommend a 7.4V unit so you should be OK.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, JakeF said:

surely they cant be anything but apologetic and send me the right one straight away? yeah thats a good statement to hit them with

Oh, no, I wouldn't say it.  As above, PatrolBase do seem to be among the least bad retailers.  I bought a not-as-described cheap shotgun from them and they were fine with accepting a return, and even corrected the advert afterwards.

What I mean is that you can and should do it if things go wrong with the exchange.  You shouldn't be left out of pocket one penny.

2 hours ago, JakeF said:

what do people recomend

Not touching that other gun!  It's not what you ordered, it's going back, and will presumably be sold on to someone else, so don't do anything to it.  I wouldn't even have opened the box.

Yeah, PB are good at sorting problems in my experience.  I've had a couple of occasions when a rif had to be returned due to damage and recently an error in the sale information that it was metal but turned out to be plastic.  The first time (a couple of years ago) they arranged courier pickup from my house but more recently they sent a code for the courier return and I had to arrange it myself then took it to a drop-off point.

1 hour ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

NUPROL!!! A make that is regarded by many as a swear word here.

Probably needs a full charge. If it's LiPo I'd expect a healthy RoF. How slow is "slow"? How many RPS do you estimate you're currently getting? PB recommend a 7.4V unit so you should be OK.

hahah yeah but a battery is a battery at the end of the day surely they cant have messed that up. and i wouldnt like to say it just sounded like a really slow rental im guessing it just isnt a fully charged battery.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Oh, no, I wouldn't say it.  As above, PatrolBase do seem to be among the least bad retailers.  I bought a not-as-described cheap shotgun from them and they were fine with accepting a return, and even corrected the advert afterwards.

What I mean is that you can and should do it if things go wrong with the exchange.  You shouldn't be left out of pocket one penny.

Not touching that other gun!  It's not what you ordered, it's going back, and will presumably be sold on to someone else, so don't do anything to it.  I wouldn't even have opened the box.

yeah im going to ring them on moday morning and find out the crack about getting it back and getting the right one delivered. and yeah it is back away in the box now not opening it again i was like a kid at christmas so opened it and connected a batter to make sure it wasnt faulty then was like hang on and gave it a little flick and realised it was the plastic body one when i ordered the full metal on haha.

56 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Yeah, PB are good at sorting problems in my experience.  I've had a couple of occasions when a rif had to be returned due to damage and recently an error in the sale information that it was metal but turned out to be plastic.  The first time (a couple of years ago) they arranged courier pickup from my house but more recently they sent a code for the courier return and I had to arrange it myself then took it to a drop-off point.

yeah they have multiple options from what i read on there return policy information so hopefully get it sorted and the right one back to me straight away as i paid for next day delivery to be able to play tomorrow but thats not happening anymore.

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, JakeF said:

hahah yeah but a battery is a battery at the end of the day surely they cant have messed that up.

Nuprol though.

Batteries can be shipped with random amounts of charge, and it could have spent weeks or months in a crate or languishing on a shelf.  I recently discovered that my B6 charger likes 3.8V per cell as a storage charge, which is above their nominal 3.7V per cell rating but actually only represents 40% of capacity.  Then it'll self discharge down from there.

So I'd always charge a battery before first use, and if you also have a Nuprol charger as well, that's at your own risk.  I binned my cheap lipo charger off long since and would recommend a SkyRC S65 or better these days.

yeah im going to ring them on moday morning and find out the crack about getting it back and getting the right one delivered

I'd be friendly and constructive about it, mistakes happen and they'll want to sort you out.

. and yeah it is back away in the box now not opening it again i was like a kid at christmas so opened it and connected a batter to make sure it wasnt faulty then was like hang on and gave it a little flick and realised it was the plastic body one when i ordered the full metal on haha.

Perfectly understandable, just don't tell PatrolBase that.  It's not a huge deal, they generally test-fire and chrono guns themselves anyway (or at least used to), so it's not like it came to you completely unfired.

yeah they have multiple options from what i read on there return policy information so hopefully get it sorted and the right one back to me straight away as i paid for next day delivery to be able to play tomorrow but thats not happening anymore.

Aw, that's understandably frustrating.  Best of luck with a speedy resolution.

8 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Nuprol though.

Batteries can be shipped with random amounts of charge, and it could have spent weeks or months in a crate or languishing on a shelf.  I recently discovered that my B6 charger likes 3.8V per cell as a storage charge, which is above their nominal 3.7V per cell rating but actually only represents 40% of capacity.  Then it'll self discharge down from there.

So I'd always charge a battery before first use, and if you also have a Nuprol charger as well, that's at your own risk.  I binned my cheap lipo charger off long since and would recommend a SkyRC S65 or better these days.

I'd be friendly and constructive about it, mistakes happen and they'll want to sort you out.

Perfectly understandable, just don't tell PatrolBase that.  It's not a huge deal, they generally test-fire and chrono guns themselves anyway (or at least used to), so it's not like it came to you completely unfired.

Aw, that's understandably frustrating.  Best of luck with a speedy resolution.

Yeah i have an asg smart charger that turns off when full and stuff like that so hopefully thats alright. yeah will be gettoing fully charged when i need to use it next weekend. yeah 100% friendly first no point in shouting as soon as they answer doesnt get me anywhere. They must have test fired it as there was a single BB in the mag. hopefully sorted for next weekend like i say i just want to use my new gear haha

On 20/11/2021 at 10:28, JakeF said:

Also When i recieved the M904a i tried it with the battery i ordered aswell which is a nuprol 7.4 lipo and in full auto it sounded pretty slow i dunno wheather this is possibly not a full battery charge i dunno how much they come with new or thats just the rate of fir in the DE's? Or on the other hand if i should be running a 11.1. Ive seen people on the forums running the 904's on 11.1 but patrol base only recomend 7.4 with the m908b unless shooting over 390 FPS. does this matter what do people recomend??

The Rate of Fire (RoF) will be slower with a 7.4v LiPo, and personally I only ever play with 11.1v LiPo's in my M904E and it's never skipped a beat (my FPS is around 340 on 2.0g bb's). I can only use auto at one site I go to and on a 11.1v the RoF is more than good enough to lay a hail of plastic down.

My only battery problem is that my capacity is too low on those I have, but I bought a 3,000 mAh Titan LiIo today at the site shop so fingers crossed this will be a beast.

13 hours ago, Fatboy40 said:

The Rate of Fire (RoF) will be slower with a 7.4v LiPo, and personally I only ever play with 11.1v LiPo's in my M904E and it's never skipped a beat (my FPS is around 340 on 2.0g bb's). I can only use auto at one site I go to and on a 11.1v the RoF is more than good enough to lay a hail of plastic down.

My only battery problem is that my capacity is too low on those I have, but I bought a 3,000 mAh Titan LiIo today at the site shop so fingers crossed this will be a beast.

Yeah i know it would be better on a 11.1 just patrol base website said they recomend a 7.4 unless shooting over 390 FPS but if you and others have had a good experience with an 11.1 then think ill invest in one. Just didnt want to damage the gearox if it couldnt handle it.

Don't underestimate 'reliability' as a thing... Having had game days spoiled by guns failing chrono, or not working properly, if you have just the one gun you need it to work.

Now I'm not saying the 11.1v battery will cause you problems, but if the gun fails on you, you will suspect or blame the battery, and you'll be kicking yourself for using it, because at that point you'd take a gun firing 'slowly' over one not firing at all!

Having said that, I'm sure I'll send up buying an 11.1v eventually.  But I have two other rifles and a pistol in my collection as backup 😇

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.