An Overweight/Obese person in Essex (Billericay) looking to start Airsoft

Eyeanman

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

20 minutes ago, Eyeanman said:

Overkill for my first game (which isnt even booked in yet...)? 

Pds4vSvlBKiU7_j98cqht6jocK0G3mzaAcGblivgtG4d_7Qp8UfX1KKPh8-dz_B8yXZpAHqaofEvkMY9kA-Krh_C2utfndMn858bWv7gAEe8twpDwa0dsidrdl87x0eo7CtFX_WhBpMFHOFeXPMYE3vEaIBL6XxX3xHAvN4hKOfGeIrf6LaGezI8GHoVoqcUbpT93Y9zdtfdeFeJHegdkGfH1UgLoeYro-oga0Qcwj1TJCOVcTgashtMgnF_p0DhGOan1nx-X_HyO22HvgkHwZp_WYrHtcnt3TRBJaOQ8AczYmFEaOFBi_IPLWXHAfwEBKH4OikiSR8XsBc2KOcwEf4R4BYAjTvOS8IoVYaA9-MxXo8dl_MIwrm7JOiV-t0NkosnyuWImy4AwnN2DBWxivrsfea3eJ3OC1IvA6Z_up37_6_9T3sJEiJXaUlzVHwfHUnmnn-bNOP4hf4DPjt4-dlWIASWj4SiWrbXeVKIlnsif-93vg-EWCT9qO6NGeaXlHzQNOlCtN8_LqTuAPYIVc-joz4X1HDwxRdKBM8C3ka2VPpwXWE1Pe39oT-Bk0LVw5g6dcjC1ktdu9TP7vJh3a5NEXA1MMXoz17vd2XAfyCE1sA0QJrUoSOyYZmU7Jt6_gcgVhp2TcKEC1IfkfiZxPWDEPS-dwc9paSprQLFQuZ8mBRCeXedwIJ67mz9vLEYDQV7xnlLNFJ8W3gLC2LmezHM=w1719-h1289-no?authuser=0

1) You ain't that big
2) You will be blind 30 seconds into the first game. Ditch the helmet

I am relatively healthy and sweat is my biggest concern in a game.
Even with my over priced shooting glasses. They get misty and dripping in sweat very quickly. 
Antifog wipes help but water is water. 

Edited by Groot

Yeah, I have the same issue, ended up running the ESS turbofan goggles to help with that, and fortunately it does help a lot.

Another thing I read recently somewhere else as recommendation and since then tried out is before I drive to games I just slap some deo onto my forehead :D

Tinted goggles do look cool, but they will also in various situations make things a bit more difficult to see.

Thanks for the heads up... Will make sure to use a cap and save the helmet for the bedroom (since the wife said I looked rather sexy...)

The goggles came with 3 lenses (tinted/clear/yellow), will make sure to take them and switch out depending on what the lighting is like

Honestly, i would recommend getting a set of protective glasses as well.

Even with a cap, the cheaper end goggles are notorious for mist. 

1 hour ago, Eyeanman said:

Ah ok, thought they had to be fully sealed? Will have another look into it

Glasses like those linked by Groot are perfectly fine for gaming, probably the majority of players wears that type (various different brands).

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Eyeanman said:

Ah ok, thought they had to be fully sealed? Will have another look into it

Full seal is more of a paintball thing.  Some airsoft sites mention it, but you'll generally see plenty of people wearing glasses, sometimes not even wrap-around.

You'll likely go through loads of eye protection before you find a set that really works for you. I currently go dual pane goggles + Revision antifog wipes + fan ventilation.

I've read that electrolysis can help so I'm working on implanting cables in my forehead connected to a low voltage high amperage accumulator. Bit drastic but needs must. 🥵

Alternatively I will attempt to gain access to a general practitioner(phew that's gonna work up a sweat!) And ask about having some anticholinergics prescribed. Apparently they are very effective for hyperhidrosis.

Regards

Sounds like a similar day to ours yesterday. Glad you enjoyed it.

How long were the games? Tower is a smaller site and the games aren't too long, saying that my Son has been complaining all day about how sore his legs are. 😂

On 07/11/2021 at 19:06, Nunfa1 said:

Sounds like a similar day to ours yesterday. Glad you enjoyed it.

How long were the games? Tower is a smaller site and the games aren't too long, saying that my Son has been complaining all day about how sore his legs are. 😂

Between 10:30 and 4pm we got through 4 games, 2 were around 30mins each while the other 2 around an hour each (i think...). Which now sounds like there was alot of hanging around waiting, but there wasnt.

• Supporters
On 07/11/2021 at 18:41, Eyeanman said:

Mostly had a good time, absolutely shattered though! Don't think my body has moved like that (short running bursts, kneeling down, bending round corners etc) for around 2 years.

Yup. Even some super fit chums have been aching after their first day due to the variety of stressful positions, plus the adrenaline overload.  All part of the fun.

Great to hear that you enjoyed it, and especially that you didn't mention any issues with fogging up, that's a good sign.

On 01/11/2021 at 18:07, Shamal said:

I've read that electrolysis can help so I'm working on implanting cables in my forehead connected to a low voltage high amperage accumulator. Bit drastic but needs must. 🥵

Alternatively I will attempt to gain access to a general practitioner(phew that's gonna work up a sweat!) And ask about having some anticholinergics prescribed. Apparently they are very effective for hyperhidrosis.

Regards

Electrolysis did have a moderate effect for me, but botox injections every six months were an incredibly painful improvement.  

Beta blockers help.  

My son is an overweight player. Fact that he is the size of an adult but still not 16 yet, should give you an idea or in sizes, takes an adult size XL or in inches, around a 48 inch waste.

So not your average teen player, couple that with the fact that he is very self conscious of his size, in the game site he uses, there are other large players in the game. 

Go at your pace, its not a race to win but to take part and have fun.

When I was at NAF21 this year, there were plenty of people there that were overweight, mostly dads with their sons.

I play and I am not the fittest or slimmest of players either, so don't fret about anything, I bring in a defensive role, watching for rear end attacks. 

Only advice I will give you is to make sure you have sturdy boots that are the military type boots, I twisted my ankle a couple of weeks back and glad I was wearing them as I could have easily broke my ankle. 

I will suggest ONE item that no one ever is advised to get with any Eyepros... Anti-fog spray or wipes.

• 2 months later...

Welcome my dude! I've only been playing for about 6 months, after some mates at work suggested giving it a go, were all factory workers, and not exactly the picture of health, but through out covid I've let myself go, and being a smoker my stamina isn't great. All that said, the site we use, are very welcoming, and none of us get penalised. Hell, once there was only like 6 of us (3 on 3) and cause there were times I didn't see anyone to shoot, after running around a little, I made a joke of it and started yelling, "are we done playing hide and seek?" Then when out of breath, "wooo! I need to stop smoking" 🤣 the thing is, don't take it too seriously, were mostly grown men playing toy soldiers. So far everyone has been welcoming and inclusive. Dive in mate! Hope it works out for you 👍

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.