Lipo Disposal

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco

Hey chaps - looking to get rid of some swollen LiPos I've had in storage as a serious fire risk for god knows how long - currently they're all in a pile in a corner of my flat next to a fire extinguisher.

I know I can take them down to a WEE recycling centre to get rid of them, but what I'm unsure about is whether there's anything I can do to reduce the chance they burst/explode/etc. after I've dropped them off. I don't want to be causing anyone else risk.

If anything can be done - let me know! Cheers.

• Supporters

Got access to a garden ?, I'd take them outside & in a controlled environment do all the things your not supposed to do to lipos, get them wet/expose them to sunlight/feed them after midnight, that sorta thing, get them to combust "safely", they'll only do it once.

I hit a nail through mine 😈

Was an entertaining way to make it safe.

Of course you need a good place to do it...

Outside in an old baking tray away from anything flammable.  (And keep the extinguisher handy 😉)

Edited by EDcase

A bucket of salt water, it will discharge them to zero over a couple of days.

Otherwise connect them up to a lightbulb and discharge them to zero volts.

Some chargers have a 'kill' function that will discharge a LiPo to zero.

They are inert at that point and can be disposed of safely.

8 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Hey chaps - looking to get rid of some swollen LiPos I've had in storage as a serious fire risk for god knows how long - currently they're all in a pile in a corner of my flat next to a fire extinguisher.

I know I can take them down to a WEE recycling centre to get rid of them, but what I'm unsure about is whether there's anything I can do to reduce the chance they burst/explode/etc. after I've dropped them off. I don't want to be causing anyone else risk.

If anything can be done - let me know! Cheers.

I took mine to work and blasted them with a pasload first fix nailgun.

In a pile of sand of course. 

After three ranging shots I hit it straight through the middle. All it did was smoke a little bit. Quite an anti climax. ☹.

But on a more constructive note.......well sorry I haven't got one...shoot them.lol.

My bad.😳

Regards 

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco

Cheers all! Cables for my Accucel 6 turned up today so I'll be looking at discharging through that if poss and through an LED/lightbulb if not. Tempting to discharge them another way buttttt nah

Option 1.

Do as speedbird suggests, bucket of salt water will discharge them completely over time.

Option 2.

Take them outside and hit them with an axe.

Two two two. ;)

• Supporters
On 27/05/2021 at 11:51, Tackle said:

Got access to a garden ?, I'd take them outside & in a controlled environment do all the things your not supposed to do to lipos, get them wet/expose them to sunlight/feed them after midnight, that sorta thing, get them to combust "safely", they'll only do it once.

3F2341EA-1B6D-4C5F-BFE6-47FE7604FCA3.jpeg

Take it to your local recycle centre or sell it to a newbie and watch the sparks and flames!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.